Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Polar101 wrote: »
    Many people do care. I'm one of the many who play games on both PC and consoles, so my main reason for choosing between PS4 or Xbone is choosing the one that gives me better access to games I can't or won't play on PC.

If that is the case, then the PS4 is the best option. Many, if not most, Xbox One exclusives will also be coming to PC. The same cannot be said for Sony's exclusives. Their first-party titles almost never make it to PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Being PC Gamer, some might say that I don't have an informed perspective on this avalanche of news and reports about the new console generation. This is what I understand.

Electronic Entertainment Expo, an annual international expo and conference of video games and game-related technology.

E3 is for people who know about games, who want to know what the future holds for this industry. Its for the press and the investors too but primarily it is for the players. Majority of posters here know what E3 is because this is their past-time, their hobby, and maybe their addiction. Posters discussing the merits of products that have not been released yet, arguing the choice that will tie them to a platform for the next few years. Possibly overstating, this is “hardcore”.

Microsoft have designed an entertainment centre and called it the Xbox ONE, this will be the ONE box that runs your living room. Voice commands for your menus, TV, Skype, bing and more. The Kinect will play a pivotal role in this scenario with facial recognition, hand and body gestures, and more. The new Xbox ONE will rely on cloud computing for DRM and has posed limits\restrictions on trading games, lending games and selling games. XBLA games will not carry over to the new console. The console is region locked to 21 countries on launch and due to the cloud DRM system, this can be easily enforced. Indie developers have been given mixed signals with regards the support for development for the Xbox ONE.

A lot of this information was available before E3, so Microsoft came out and said that Xbox Live Gold subscribers get two free games per month with a games from 2009 and 2007. They then proceeded with their showcase of games and PVR. World of Tanks, the Free-to-Play game is behind the Live subscription pay-wall Killer Instinct is also F2P starting with one character, Jago, and is also behind the pay-wall of Xbox Live

Sony decided to show off a console that plays games. A platform better suited for development than its predecessor. This console is region free and does not need a internet connection to play games. The console does not have DRM restrictions so you can trade, lend, sell, keep your games. Sony showcased Indie games, being played, they also said that there would be self publishing for the PS4. The Playstation Eye is an optional extra while Sony have bundled a headset with the console. Sony said that online multi-player for games will be behind the PS+ subscription but F2P games and online services such as Netflix would not be subject to PS+.

So from what I understand is that Sony have listened to the “hardcore” console players. They sat down, took a long list of what the consumers at E3 would have wanted and then gave it to them. This is a far cry from the €630 PS3 60Gb launch console in Ireland that was five months after the Japan launch. From all these reports from E3, I get a sense that Sony have listened and tried their best to launch a platform that best suited the E3 viewer. Online forums and chat rooms are full of trolling and abuse with regards the Xbox ONE but I have yet to see a meme, or a thread, or a message saying “Goodbye Playstation, Hello Xbox!”

There is a lot of sour feelings with regards the current generation of consoles. Xbox Live's cost to play online games. The Red Ring of Death, the Yellow Light of Death. The Playstation network outage. The $40,000 fix for Fez and I could go on. For all of the Xbox ONE's Kinect features and Home Entertainment system options, consumers have been given DRM, region locked and a clean XBLA slate. Sony have given the consumer an olive branch. What talk of long term strategy and future game cost reductions can be hypothetically argued till the cows come home, we can only wait till next years E3 or beyond.

There is an Xbox 360 in the house, I have barely touched it, I got it as a refurbished model and used it as a media centre for a while (Tversity/Serviio). My friends and family will ask me what console should they buy and I will say PS4. Years and years ago in the Snes and Playstation One time, it was me lending my games to friends and family, I shared the joy and fun that I had. There is no sharing with Microsoft. Sony gave a conference for the Gamer and while they are big promises they are still big ideals and I would rather back a company that tries to hit these ideals than wait for the other company to see and fix the error of its ways.

I have a nice 24” LCD monitor that can take a HDMI connection, the PS4 is tempting option.

(PS: I like windows 8 metro and loved Vista, I'm not a Microsoft basher by any means!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

The $40,000 fix for Fez
    (PS: I like windows 8 metro and loved Vista, I'm not a Microsoft basher by any means!)

I'm going to defend MS here and say that patching requires certification testing to be done. it costs MS money and is used in vain to try and make dev make games that arent buggy messes

Sony has the same policy iirc

and :eek: someone liked vista??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

NTMK wrote: »
    :eek: someone liked vista??

I think he added that note so that people wouldn't disregard his opinion, but...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The main issue with the Xbox is that Microsoft made a pigs mickey out of the PR side of things.

If they came out and said you no longer have to worry about loosing or scratching disks, you no longer have to carry a big bag of games to your friends house, you never have to wait for a system update or game patch to download ever again before you can play. You can buy games on your phone at work and they will be ready to play when you get home. All you need to do is get your xbox to check for updates every 24 hours and this can be done in 5 seconds via your phone.

Then most people would say that's pretty good.

Sony on the other hand have come out and said we are going to charge you to play your own games online on a service that was previously free. We will keep the same used game policy where you get ripped off by Gamestop with terrible trade in deals, you then pay a fee to Gamestop then you pay a fee to Sony, then you might have to pay a fee to the publisher too.

And because they did it really well everyone loves them :D

• Advertisement

The main issue with the Xbox is that Microsoft made a pigs mickey out of the PR side of things.

If they came out and said you no longer have to worry about loosing or scratching disks, you no longer have to carry a big bag of games to your friends house, you never have to wait for a system update or game patch to download ever again before you can play. You can buy games on your phone at work and they will be ready to play when you get home. All you need to do is get your xbox to check for updates every 24 hours and this can be done in 5 seconds via your phone.

Then most people would say that's pretty good.

Sony on the other hand have come out and said we are going to charge you to play your own games online on a service that was previously free. We will keep the same used game policy where you get ripped off by Gamestop with terrible trade in deals, you then pay a fee to Gamestop then you pay a fee to Sony, then you might have to pay a fee to the publisher too.

And because they did it really well everyone loves them :D

The smugness didnt help MS thats for sure but regardless of the PR disaster. they're distrust of the people that are goin to pay a fortune for the thing by having a online check in (which their response was essentially go **** yourself to people who dont have stable internet connections or are on military duty) and the fact they havent given an adequte explaination for why you cant unplug the kinect is pretty disturbng and honestly some of the dumbest moves ive seen from a company since Atari were a manufacturer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Thanks Grumpypants I think I finally understand marketing:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Thanks Grumpypants I think I finally understand marketing:)
    If only you worked for MS and could shoot that up the chain of command so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We will keep the same used game policy where you get ripped off by Gamestop with terrible trade in deals,

At least it's an option. As is sharing the game around with a few friends or selling it on EBay for a decent amount.

You make it sound like Sony's policy of letting people do what they want, is somehow a hindrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can get myself on board with MS on most issues as most won't affect me (generally don't buy second hand, generally don't trade with friends and if I do it is within a small group, internet connection isn't a concern at all) and I prefer the game lineup I have seen from them so far in comparison to PS4, but then it gets to the price, and I just can't justify the extra €100. It really is that €100 that is killing the XB1 for me.

• Advertisement

I can get myself on board with MS on most issues as most won't affect me (generally don't buy second hand, generally don't trade with friends and if I do it is within a small group, internet connection isn't a concern at all) and I prefer the game lineup I have seen from them so far in comparison to PS4, but then it gets to the price, and I just can't justify the extra €100. It really is that €100 that is killing the XB1 for me.

out of sheer curiousity what games interest you on the XBone?

their exclusives arent fantastic imo and sony are far better at them even if they didnt show them

Ryse looks like a QTE game
    Titanfall and DR3 are timed exclusives iirc
    Quantum break has shown evidence of being a game
    Killer Instinct is a F2P by a developer that produces crap
    Forza 5 does look amazing imo

I don't expect it to be great, or even hyped for it at all, but so was Heavy Rain. I enjoyed that.

I know you didn't ask me, but the only thing that I really want to see more on from what was shown was D4. New game from Swery. That alone isn't going to be nearly enough to get me to get a One. The key players going in to the 360, or made games for the 360 went to PS3 too... And then, the ones that are left, I don't expect to do another exclusive on the One. Like Mistwalker and Namco Bandai Tales studios.

I haven't really gotten shooters in a while. I didn't get the latest Gears, Call of Duty or Halo though I'll probably get Halo 4. Do want to play the campaign at some point, just have other gaming priorities. And 5, well if I got the system, I'd buy it but I see from the next gen multiplats there are other priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭AlanG

My main problem with the XBOX – The kinetic will be monitoring pictures and sound in my living room at all times (has to be to turn on via kinetic) and MS has agreed to let the US government access all their systems under the PRISM. Therefore having an XBOX one is like putting up a CCTV system in the house that Microsoft and any one they like can access.

I know they probably won’t want to access my living room but I still wouldn’t let Microsoft put an always on camera in my living room.

Kinect can be turned off. People are going to test that when it is released. They'll turn off the kinect, turn off the console and see if the console turns on. Course, you can go tin foil hat and say that they program it to not turn on, but is still listening, and if so then any discussion from there would be tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

AlanG wrote: »
    My main problem with the XBOX – The kinetic will be monitoring pictures and sound in my living room at all times (has to be to turn on via kinetic) and MS has agreed to let the US government access all their systems under the PRISM. Therefore having an XBOX one is like putting up a CCTV system in the house that Microsoft and any one they like can access.

I know they probably won’t want to access my living room but I still wouldn’t let Microsoft put an always on camera in my living room.

They've confirmed the camera can be turned off.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I don't expect it to be great, or even hyped for it at all, but so was Heavy Rain. I enjoyed that.

I don’t think Ryse is going to be the story driven game Heavy rain was for some reason :Pac
    I know you didn't ask me, but the only thing that I really want to see more on from what was shown was D4. New game from Swery. That alone isn't going to be nearly enough to get me to get a One. The key players going in to the 360, or made games for the 360 went to PS3 too... And then, the ones that are left, I don't expect to do another exclusive on the One. Like Mistwalker and Namco Bandai Tales studios.

I haven't really gotten shooters in a while. I didn't get the latest Gears, Call of Duty or Halo though I'll probably get Halo 4. Do want to play the campaign at some point, just have other gaming priorities. And 5, well if I got the system, I'd buy it but I see from the next gen multiplats there are other priorities.

Forgotten about D4 and ya I don’t expect many third party exclusives on either console tbh. Its will be easy to port between both consoles and pc and publishers won’t get enough money to cover the loss of not having it on a platform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

out of sheer curiousity what games interest you on the XBone?

their exclusives arent fantastic imo and sony are far better at them even if they didnt show them

Titanfall and DR3 are timed exclusives iirc
    Quantum break has shown evidence of being a game
    Killer Instinct is a F2P by a developer that produces crap
    Forza 5 does look amazing imo

I'm in an almost identical boat to Mitch so for me:

Ryse did look cool but I'm now not that fussed as the set-pieces and QTE are a turnoff.
    Titanfall and DR3 are timed exclusives, I would like to play them both and they would both be available sooner on Xbox, DR3 at launch.
    I don't care much for Quantum Break.
    Killer Instinct would be nothing more than something difference I could have a laugh with for free.
    Forza 5 looked amazing and being amazed, I want to play it an amazing amount.

Halo, down the line is something I will want. As a massive sports fan, and a huge sports gamer I got the impression that EA Sports will have things on Xbox that PS4 won't, I'm not sure what they are yet but those two are very pally.
    Sunshine Overdrive is one you left out and it looks quite interesting.
    I already have a substantial network of friends on Xbox Live built up over the last 7 years, and while a few of them will be making the switch, many won't.
    The controller, while not a deal breaker at all in fact I like the look of the PS4, the Xbox One controller looks fantastic.

I'm leaning towards a PS4, purely because of that €100 and I really REALLY don't like the attitude of MS at the moment. But I can be swayed either way by a few key announcements, which is why I likely won't be making my final decision until October.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Forza 5 looked amazing and being amazed, I want to play it an amazing amount.

I love the idea of the game learning your driving traits and inerting them into AI drivers against your friends. my friends would hate it but its has huge trolling potential
    Halo, down the line is something I will want. As a massive sports fan, and a huge sports gamer I got the impression that EA Sports will have things on Xbox that PS4 won't, I'm not sure what they are yet but those two are very pally.
    Halo is fair enough i went off them after 3 tbh.
    dont mind the EA/MS partnership these exclusive deals usually end up being an extra stadium/ a couple of Ultimate team packs
    Sunshine Overdrive is one you left out and it looks quite interesting.
    I already have a substantial network of friends on Xbox Live built up over the last 7 years, and while a few of them will be making the switch, many won't.
    I new i was forgetting a game:o ya it does look preety cool
    The controller, while not a deal breaker at all in fact I like the look of the PS4, the Xbox One controller looks fantastic.

I'm leaning towards a PS4, purely because of that €100 and I really REALLY don't like the attitude of MS at the moment. But I can be swayed either way by a few key announcements, which is why I likely won't be making my final decision until October.

I will be getting an xbone controller for my PC but according to reports the PS4 controller while not perfect is a lot better than previous editions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No point. Next gen does not apply to PCs, only consoles. PCs can jump a generation in 6 months with the way new GPUs are released, consoles jump once every 5-10 years, a PC not upgraded for gaming is obsolete after 3 years tops.
    That's all misinformation and nonsense. The average PC will last at least 3 years the opposite from being redundant after 3 years. I got 10 years out of my last PC and upgraded not because I needed to but because I wanted too. Over that 3 years I spent around €300 on a new CPU and Graphics card. Just because new hardware comes out for the PC every 6 months doesn't mean you have to buy it. When a new CPU comes out it doesn't mean you have to upgrade or none of your software will work on it. So it's nothing like new consoles coming out. My current PC is 3 years old, I was considering upgrading my graphics card so that I could run 3 screens but the rift should mean I can stick with my current one for a while yet.
    PC gamers live in a different world to console gamers but PC gamers have a hard time getting their heads around that,
    It is a different way of doing things, I have no console, no tv, no hifi, just one great big PC that does everything. If anything it's more minimalist than many home entertainment setups.

But from a gaming point unless you're into simulators or them other warcraft things, paying PC prices for slightly better graphics is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ScumLord wrote: »
    But from a gaming point unless you're into simulators or them other warcraft things, paying PC prices for slightly better graphics is a bit much.

Don't forget the incredible back catalogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

i won't be buying the xbox one, don't like the direction ms is going specially the fact it has to be connected to internet all the time , i don't use the current xbox much, before i got xbox, i had build a pc for gaming and to be honest, it was way better and pc games cheaper and still are, if i was going to buy a new console, be ps4 but as i don't play much theres days , be a waste of money,
    think ms will lose alot of gamers to sony because of this ,

Don't forget the incredible back catalogue.
    I don't know you could win over console users with a dodgy back catalog. I'm after spending the last two days getting Richard Burns Rally working. Required changes in control panel, downloading at least a gig of updates (although the fact they keep releasing each years updates completely free is great).

It can be done but can be very problematic. It is supposed to be the best rally sim out there though, even though I overpaid for it at £10 it's still a bargain. I must have downloaded close to a hundred cars for the game last night and almost as many tracks.

Console users wouldn't go through that for a game just because it has the best physics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I don't know you could win over console users with a dodgy back catalog. I'm after spending the last two days getting Richard Burns Rally working. Required changes in control panel, downloading at least a gig of updates (although the fact they keep releasing each years updates completely free is great).

It can be done but can be very problematic. It is supposed to be the best rally sim out there though, even though I overpaid for it at £10 it's still a bargain. I must have downloaded close to a hundred cars for the game last night and almost as many tracks.

Console users wouldn't go through that for a game just because it has the best physics.

I think hes talkign about the amazing catalog that isn't dodgy, much of which can be found on steam that require little more than a few 100 meg download and install. The catalog of quality games available on PC is far greater than any console.

Anyway... why is the last 2/3 pages on this thread all about PC gaming anyway !

Magill wrote: »
    I think hes talkign about the amazing catalog that isn't dodgy, much of which can be found on steam that require little more than a few 100 meg download and install. The catalog of quality games available on PC is far greater than any console.
    Oh yes, good old steam. We had this always on debacle years ago when Half Life 2 came out. I remember being quite upset at the time too.
    Anyway... why is the last 2/3 pages on this thread all about PC gaming anyway !
    Because Pcs are more interesting to talk about. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some older games will have problems (especially when the developers went bankrupt a year after release so are not about to patch it like in this case) but a lot don't. Plus that update that gets released every year is a community made mod hence why you have to download it separately. The game wasn't even made to be moddable but people managed to hack in online multiplayer to it anyway and updated cars and tracks. The game you picked actually shows how great PC gaming can be. I wonder how the console version of that game compares to the fully updated, online version on the PC. Pretty poorly, I'd say.

The game you picked actually shows how great PC gaming can be. I wonder how the console version of that game compares to the fully updated, online version on the PC. Pretty poorly, I'd say.
    It is, but it also leads on to other things if you take it seriously, like buying proper wheels and understanding car set ups and driving theory. It all gets a bit too involved for someone who just wants to play something like COD. It's amazing that sims look so simple on the face of it. Pick a car, pick a track and go drive. No stories, or achievements to speak of but the depth in the games mechanics itself make going around the same track for days on end so engrossing. I have just never experienced that depth in any console game.

I didn't know it even came out for consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

So dayz might not be coming to Xbox one due to restrictions. A nice exclusive for ps4.
    http://m.edge-online.com/news/dayz-set-to-arrive-on-ps4-but-could-skip-xbox-one/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Anyone know how much Sony are going to be charging to play PS4 online ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Anyone know how much Sony are going to be charging to play PS4 online ?

It's €50 per year for a PSN+ sub. But they do sales the odd time so you can get them cheaper. You can get PS plus now for PS3 or Vita and it will carry onto the PS4.

Sony will have DC Universe Online and Planetside 2 that are F2P games and you won't need a PSN+ sub to play those online.

With a PSN+ sub you will get Driveclub Plus edition day one for free on the PS4 and 3 indie titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It's €50 per year for a PSN+ sub. But they do sales the odd time so you can get them cheaper. You can get PS plus now for PS3 or Vita and it will carry onto the PS4.

Sony will have DC Universe Online and Planetside 2 that are F2P games and you won't need a PSN+ sub to play those online.

With a PSN+ sub you will get Driveclub Plus edition day one for free on the PS4 and 3 indie titles.

That's another upside to the PS4 for me, Driveclub is a game I was looking at to replace Forza should I make the switch, so it coming free with a years sub is fantastic, I know it will be a slightly watered down edition with less cars/tracks but if it's still a good chunk of the game it's a very good deal.

Advertisement