Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    That's another upside to the PS4 for me, Driveclub is a game I was looking at to replace Forza should I make the switch, so it coming free with a years sub is fantastic, I know it will be a slightly watered down edition with less cars/tracks but if it's still a good chunk of the game it's a very good deal.

You'll more than likely be able to get the full game for substantially less with the ps plus version too I'd say. Cheap upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

The main issue with the Xbox is that Microsoft made a pigs mickey out of the PR side of things.

If they came out and said you no longer have to worry about loosing or scratching disks, you no longer have to carry a big bag of games to your friends house, you never have to wait for a system update or game patch to download ever again before you can play. You can buy games on your phone at work and they will be ready to play when you get home. All you need to do is get your xbox to check for updates every 24 hours and this can be done in 5 seconds via your phone.

Then most people would say that's pretty good.

Sony on the other hand have come out and said we are going to charge you to play your own games online on a service that was previously free. We will keep the same used game policy where you get ripped off by Gamestop with terrible trade in deals, you then pay a fee to Gamestop then you pay a fee to Sony, then you might have to pay a fee to the publisher too.

And because they did it really well everyone loves them :D

It's not about how they're saying it, is is really about what they're saying.

On PS4 I can go all digital if I want. Every retail game will be day and date available digitally. I can sign in to a friends machine and download and play my games on his machine if I want. And not worry about discs. And have it connected and let it download and install updates and patches in the background. And buy stuff on the PSN store on a web browser from my PC or phone in work and it will wake up my PS4 and install that game. Most of these things are already on PS3 even!

I can do all those same things. But I'm not forced. I can still stick to discs and buy and trade and lend them like always. I can trade in at GameStop or Smyths or sell to a friend or on ebay. Options! And none of it requires me asking Sony every day if I have permission to play games I'm supposed to own.

Both Microsoft's message, AND how they're saying it, sucks. They are very much reducing consumer options and getting rid of the idea of game ownership. You're talking like people are dumb and just need to be told something the right way. No matter how Microsoft tries to pitch what they're doing, it's awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

i pre orderd the xbox one

but have to say ps4 is catching my attention as well

mainly because both consoles have exclusives which i want :L so unfair haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The main issue with the Xbox is that Microsoft made a pigs mickey out of the PR side of things.

If they came out and said you no longer have to worry about loosing or scratching disks, you no longer have to carry a big bag of games to your friends house, you never have to wait for a system update or game patch to download ever again before you can play. You can buy games on your phone at work and they will be ready to play when you get home. All you need to do is get your xbox to check for updates every 24 hours and this can be done in 5 seconds via your phone.

Then most people would say that's pretty good.

Sony on the other hand have come out and said we are going to charge you to play your own games online on a service that was previously free. We will keep the same used game policy where you get ripped off by Gamestop with terrible trade in deals, you then pay a fee to Gamestop then you pay a fee to Sony, then you might have to pay a fee to the publisher too.

And because they did it really well everyone loves them :D
    "A big bag of games"?? You don't need a horse and kart to carry a disc. I think people understood what microsoft are saying, but you're forgetting a big advantage of having a disc: you can sell it to a shop or someone else, and you can buy second hand ones. I can't speak for everyone, but since the PS1 I never had trouble with a scratched disc and I never lost one. However, I did have times with internet down.
    Microsoft didn't fúck up their PR, they made a bollocks of the XBone.
    As for sony charging for something that was free, PS plus was never free. Granted, playing online was. But go onto the PS plus thread and ask if people think it's not worth it. Its the best money you can spend on gaming imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I don't expect it to be great, or even hyped for it at all, but so was Heavy Rain. I enjoyed that.

Well Heavy Rain was more like a point-and-click game. I wouldn't really say there were many QTEs, you just generally selected what response you wanted to give for any given situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

TrueAchievements have a poll asking what people think of the One on the basis of E3. At the time of my posting...
    Poll: What did you think of Microsoft's E3 showing?
    19.4% - Amazing, I see a One in my future!
    26.7% - Good, though I still have a few concerns.
    9.9% - I was neither impressed, nor disappointed.
    29.5% - Poor, they are going to need to do a lot more to get me to buy the One.
    14.5% - Awful, they'd have fared better if they never showed up!

We had 2,430 responses to the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 r3pwn

If Sony and Microsoft release both of their new machines later this year how will you decided which machine to get? For the sake of discussion lets just say that they will be released this year.

Will it be brand loyalty? You've bought into the MS Live eco system or PSN and don't want to switch? Will it be the hardware specs of the machine or the launch line up of games? Will it be backwards compatibility? Price?

For me right now I have no idea which I would choose. In this current generation I bought all three (Wii, PS3, 360). I don't think brand loyalty will be a factor for me. In the end I will probably end up with both so I will just have to decide which one first. One important factor will be what Naughty Dog has lined up for the PS4 (or whatever they call it).

Simple. Stay on whatever console you have. Or choose ps4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I put another 70eu on my ps4 preorder. So I got 100eu payed out already.
    next month I will pit another 50 or 100. By the time ps4 launches I should have it played out and few games banged too.

I asked fella I'm gamestop how preorders go. It was interesting:

Before e3:

25 Xbox one
    17 ps4

After e3:
    24 Xbox one
    35 ps4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I put another 70eu on my ps4 preorder. So I got 100eu payed out already.
    next month I will pit another 50 or 100. By the time ps4 launches I should have it played out and few games banged too.

Do you have to go into the shop to pay it off or can you do it by phone/web?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

danthefan wrote: »
    Do you have to go into the shop to pay it off or can you do it by phone/web?

Dunno m8. I just wanted to buy a Subway today, so I was in town for gamestop too! :p

I doubt you can do this online or over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Threw a deposit on the Ps4. I'll give it a few months before I get sick of it and sell it on more than likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

So, if you get banned on the Xbox One, you lose all of your games. Brilliant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Keno 92 wrote: »

Why would that be the case? The console can still access the Internet to phone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eoghansully

XBone for those who have media priorities and ps 4 for gaming? is that the basic conclusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Why would that be the case? The console can still access the Internet to phone home.
    But not xbox live. Console modders, for example get banned from xbox live. Seeing as you need to check in to Live every 24 hours, a consequence is single player games being blocked out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Damn, I was really looking forward to getting banned with no consequences.

:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pushtrak wrote: »
    But not xbox live. Console modders, for example get banned from xbox live. Seeing as you need to check in to Live every 24 hours, a consequence is single player games being blocked out too.

It can still access live just not use any of its online features like multiplayer. I can't see Microsoft locking out single player games because someone got banned from live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Damn, I was really looking forward to getting banned with no consequences.

:confused:

Do you think MS will have a 100% success rate on bans and not have any unjust bans or mistakes?

Turns your 500 quid machine and countless hundreds spent on games into a useless brick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I can't see Microsoft locking out single player games because someone got banned from live.

That's exactly what they said would happen though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Do you think MS will have a 100% success rate on bans and not have any unjust bans or mistakes?

Turns your 500 quid machine and countless hundreds spent on games into a useless brick.

Hah, good point actually. I myself was wrongly banned from competing in the Xbox Cup on FIFA World Cup 2006. There was a month of qualifying on Xbox Live with the best record from each country going. I went 42 wins 2 losses and on the last day my score was wiped because I "had a record only obtainable by someone who was cheating". Denied me a trip to Berlin and a World Cup quarter final match, couldn't do a thing because I agreed to their T&C's.

So yeah, point taken :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Laviski

I would bevery wary about this. Anti hack tools aint 100% right. Innocent ppl have being banned for not doing anything wrong. I myself never being a victim but have seen it happen to others in irl. Anyone that is a programmer knows there is no perfect program out there, there is always flaws somewhere hence you will always have to update.

Just on TitanFall, a guy on NeoGAF who clearly has inside info has said it's a one year timed exclusive. So on PS4 a year after XBoxOne.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What are MS and Sony's justifications for charging you to play online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

MadYaker wrote: »

Well sony give you a couple of free games every month, you sub for the PS4 and not only will you get 4 games for the PS4 at launch you'll get more each month and that's not even accounting for the PS3 and Vita games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

They're businesses and they want money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I dunno, guess they just need money to maintain/update the service, they're pretty good deals either way, at least on PS since you get PS+ with its free monthly games etc. Not sure if MS offered a similar setup, i think they might have.

Sony have said they're charging in order to create a high quality online infrastructure.

http://gamerant.com/ps4-ps-plus-online-ps4-xbox-one-size-comparison/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I can't see Microsoft locking out single player games because someone got banned from live.

Just in case you missed this in the other thread...

fWpJY1n.png[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

grizzly wrote: »
    Just in case you missed this in the other thread...

fWpJY1n.png
    Could you make much use of a 500 euro bricked Xbone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It would make a nice door stopper.

Advertisement