Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

grizzly wrote: »
    Just in case you missed this in the other thread...

fWpJY1n.png
    [/QUOTE]

Awesome awesome awesome ! finally this might put those annoying idiot hackers
    hackers from ruining every online game out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

^
    The same result could be achieved by stopping them from playing online, but allowing offline games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Awesome awesome awesome ! finally this might put those annoying idiot hackers
    hackers from ruining every online game out there.

And what about people who are wrongly banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

And what about people who are wrongly banned?
    Oh, I'm sure that NEVER happens... :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Pushtrak wrote: »
    ^
    The same result could be achieved by stopping them from playing online, but allowing offline games.

That's effectively what Steam does. You only lose access to VAC servers which are Valve administered. Other than that you can play away.

To get a full account ban you have to do something like credit card fraud or similar. I really don't see the point in full account bans for things like cheating in COD multiplayer or whatever. Especially considering accounts can be shared, especially between parents and kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id say the amount of people wrongly banned is tiny, and if you were wrongly banned surely it wouldn't be that hard to reverse the ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

MadYaker wrote: »
    Id say the amount of people wrongly banned is tiny, and if you were wrongly banned surely it wouldn't be that hard to reverse the ban.

a ban is final unless theres a glitch in the system and they notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You'd be surprised. There are two issues. One is errors happen and you can get mass wrongful bannings, see WoW etc for examples. This isn't an enormous issue as people normally get their account back and some small compensation. The other problem is while false positives tend to be a small issue, the number of people contesting their bans will nearly always be very high. So you, who has been wrongly banned, is trying to get heard in a sea of muppets who are just chancing their arm making it quite possible that you can get nowhere with your appeal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It would make a nice door stopper.

Although the PS4 would even be better at that too for size reasons :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

grizzly wrote: »
    Just in case you missed this in the other thread...

fWpJY1n.png
    [/QUOTE]

q8aA5Hh.png

• Advertisement

q8aA5Hh.png

Just them backtracking. How does it relate to the 360 at all? There is no online check, and you don't lose your games when banned on 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

At first I thought, good enough for people who are banned, but maybe taking offline ability and their games off them seems harsh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just them backtracking. How does it relate to the 360 at all? There is no online check, and you don't lose your games when banned on 360.

They could be talking about digital download copies. Sure, there's no online check for 360 but it could still be true. No idea as I don't have an xbox.

They could be talking about digital download copies. Sure, there's no online check for 360 but it could still be true. No idea as I don't have an xbox.

I've never been banned but I think you can still access your digital games whilst banned.
    The reason it'd be different is because you wouldn't be able to log into your account to verify it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've never been banned but I think you can still access your digital games whilst banned.
    The reason it'd be different is because you wouldn't be able to log into your account to verify it.

You'd still be able to log in as the account is still valid. It'd be really **** if an xbox ban meant you were also locked out of your phone, laptop, tablet, email, Skype etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You'd still be able to log in as the account is still valid. It'd be really **** if an xbox ban meant you were also locked out of your phone, laptop, tablet, email, Skype etc.

You wouldn't be able to log in, as the account would be banned as per the MS comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Only seen this thread now,
    Here's how I'm going to decide
    Hi I'd like to buy a PS4 please, Sure!, Thank you!
    Now to spend my extra hundred or so to get other things :D

It's pretty obvious if you ask me

COYVB wrote: »
    You wouldn't be able to log in, as the account would be banned as per the MS comment

They could still allow the account to log in for verification purposes for games but just block messenging and multiplayer.

They could still allow the account to log in for verification purposes for games but just block messenging and multiplayer.

Which they've said they're not going to do

COYVB wrote: »
    Which they've said they're not going to do

They also said it was a mistake and they had no info about it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Magill wrote: »
    I dunno, guess they just need money to maintain/update the service, they're pretty good deals either way, at least on PS since you get PS+ with its free monthly games etc. Not sure if MS offered a similar setup, i think they might have.

MS have followed Sony's lead of giving free games but it wasn't well received. The two games they decided to brag about getting for the next year were Assassins Creed 2 and Halo 3 (both of which can be found very cheaply at this stage and which will serve more as an advertisement for newer entries in each franchise).

I'm sure it's a very small number as a proportion of online users but whenever I've heard of it happening (and not just with MS) it sounds like it's been a real pain in the arse trying to get it reversed.

They also said it was a mistake and they had no info about it at the moment.

They're doing that a lot lately aren't they lol

C14N wrote: »
    I'm sure it's a very small number as a proportion of online users but whenever I've heard of it happening (and not just with MS) it sounds like it's been a real pain in the arse trying to get it reversed.

Remember when they mistakenly banned people because of an issue with a CoD map pack a while back. Imagine that happening with Xbox One... that'd be a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20130614/OFFDUTY02/306140030/New-Xbox-sin-against-all-service-members-
    “Microsoft has single handedly alienated the entire military. And not just the U.S. military — the militaries of the entire world,” says naval aviator Jay Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Because 'Muurka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

TBH if someone is a pure gamer I dont see why they wouldnt go for PC rather than a console :confused:

Hmmm. Interesting thought. I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed on this thread yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

TBH if someone is a pure gamer I dont see why they wouldnt go for PC rather than a console :confused:
    What is a pure gamer? And why would a PC make one whatever it is and not consoles?

Advertisement