Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

TBH if someone is a pure gamer I dont see why they wouldnt go for PC rather than a console :confused:

Hmm...No need for that. I'm gonna go ahead and guess console-specific exclusives and earliest release dates. And at least €800 for a nice PC (which is what mine cost)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

They also said it was a mistake and they had no info about it at the moment.

I'm going to go with "They haven't a fúcking clue" for 500, Ted.
    TBH if someone is a pure gamer I dont see why they wouldnt go for PC rather than a console :confused:

Because that isn't what the question is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hmm...No need for that. I'm gonna go ahead and guess console-specific exclusives and earliest release dates. And at least €800 for a nice PC (which is what mine cost)

The pure gamer thing is, well, crap but €800 for a nice PC? Nah, you can build something capable of running every modern game for quite a lot less than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Because you can't play Metal Gear Solid V on a pc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

In regards to price though its amazing how people will talk endlessly about the price of the XBox that they will have for 5 years and more but the same people will go out and spend 500 quid on a new iphone that they will keep for 2 or 3 years :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

ShaneU wrote: »
    Because you can't play Metal Gear Solid V on a pc.
    I'm going to stick to console gaming for lots of reasons, exclusive games being one. The above would be more in the category of getting games before PC rather than games PC will not get.

http://games.on.net/2013/06/bringing-metal-gear-solid-5-to-pc-not-a-priority-at-the-moment/

Pushtrak wrote: »
    But not xbox live. Console modders, for example get banned from xbox live. Seeing as you need to check in to Live every 24 hours, a consequence is single player games being blocked out too.
    Looks like this will be the policy...

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-one-owners-won-t-lose-access-to-games-if-banned-from-live?CID=examiner_alerts_article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Pushtrak wrote: »
    What is a pure gamer? And why would a PC make one whatever it is and not consoles?

If you want to know what a pure gamer is just head on over to the Arcade & Retro Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In regards to price though its amazing how people will talk endlessly about the price of the XBox that they will have for 5 years and more but the same people will go out and spend 500 quid on a new iphone that they will keep for 2 or 3 years :pac:

Games for iphone cost 1eu, games for xbox will cost 70eu. :pac: So initial investment is only the top of the iceberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

nesf wrote: »
    The pure gamer thing is, well, crap but €800 for a nice PC? Nah, you can build something capable of running every modern game for quite a lot less than that.

Yeah, a lot less, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh455l3348s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

stolen from ylyl

1_383092795128385_1514465528_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

That isn't anywhere near as powerful as either console though, and it won't have the exclusives. If you're going to get a gaming PC might as well get one more powerful than the consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A Real gamer will not limit themselves to just one platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

A Real gamer will not limit themselves to just one platform.

Pah, a real gamer plays board games.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

A real gamer is anyone who plays games on a regular basis regardless of format or number of formats owned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

TBH if someone is a pure gamer...
    A Real gamer will...

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

What do you think MS will do to try rectify all of this negative press? Or are they that stubborn/arrogant? I prefer Xbone's exclusives but I can't support what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

What do you think MS will do to try rectify all of this negative press? Or are they that stubborn/arrogant? I prefer Xbone's exclusives but I can't support what they're doing.

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2013/06/microsoft-ps4-wont-make-us-change-anything-weve-done-with-xbox-one/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"Negative press" is subjective. The average COD/Fifa dude-bro that buys the console has no idea any of this has gone on and doesn't even know what E3 is. They won't know about the always-on DRM or the used game issue.

The only thing they will notice is the price difference when they walk into the shop. I'm not sure how much impact it will have. A slick marketing campaign a month before launch could make all this pretty meaningless. Sad, but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They have to do very little the Xbox will launch and people will buy it by the bucket load. Early adopters plus Halo fans will ship 10 million units.

You have to remember the people online moaning are the same people who slated the ps4 after it's reveal. They are the kind of people who moan when a game is held back to fix bugs and at the same time moan that a game shouldn't have been released if a game comes out with a few bugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Kirby wrote: »
    "Negative press" is subjective. The average COD/Fifa dude-bro that buys the console has no idea any of this has gone on and doesn't even know what E3 is. They won't know about the always-on DRM or the used game issue.

The only thing they will notice is the price difference when they walk into the shop. I'm not sure how much impact it will have. A slick marketing campaign a month before launch could make all this pretty meaningless. Sad, but true.

the price imo is fairly meaningless. however there is a reason why sony haven't released a definite release date. i think they want to get the jump on MS. even a week could turn the bro gamers because if one person in a group of friends picks up a ps4 his friend will probably buy the same. its happened with my group of friends.

Dont underestimate the power of "fanboy". Rational person will weigh both sides and go for the best option. Fanboy already prebooked XBOX ONE even before MS conference launched. Those fanboys will be the force that prints money to MS. I really dont think they are worried about all this bad press.

NTMK wrote: »
    the price imo is fairly meaningless. however there is a reason why sony haven't released a definite release date. i think they want to get the jump on MS. even a week could turn the bro gamers because if one person in a group of friends picks up a ps4 his friend will probably buy the same. its happened with my group of friends.

I am a bit worried about the "launches this holiday season" bit. I really hope they are not planing on releasing it a month after XBOX ONE in December. We gamers are very inpatient creatures. I could see XBOX ONE stealing a few sales from Sony in that one month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Microsoft will also benefit if Sony have production difficulties. If the PS4 sells out but there are still Xbones on the shelf in the run-up to Christmas then people will buy one.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Microsoft will also benefit if Sony have production difficulties. If the PS4 sells out but there are still Xbones on the shelf in the run-up to Christmas then people will buy one.
    I'm sure both will have production difficulties to tell the truth.

That is a fantastic marketing tactic. Lets make our product so ****, that everyone will buy out competition, so then consumer wount have a choice just to buy our product!

*evil laugh: MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

If anything the rumours are that MS has production problems rather than Sony. Microsoft's chip is larger than Sony's because of the embedded memory. Larger chip = more difficult to manufacture.

There are reports that GameStop stores in the US are getting over twice the launch day allocation of PS4s as Xbox Ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

For Sony, if they do have production problems it will be getting enough GDDR5 RAM chips. If they manage this launch on both side of the pond with no issues then fair dues to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

For Sony, if they do have production problems it will be getting enough GDDR5 RAM chips. If they manage this launch on both side of the pond with no issues then fair dues to them.

ESRAM is alot harder to mass produce than Gddr. the yield on ESRAM is **** its always been ****. Gddr5 isnt that hard as there isnt a yield or supply issue and development on ddr3/gddr5 has stopped for the most part as most manufacturers are developing ddr4/gddr6 so theres nothing that will **** up the yield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Based on this trend, they'll continue to give piecemeal interviews, gauging the reaction to each one and crafting their words more carefully each time as they actually formulate a more concrete policy in the areas of most concern to folk.

Meanwhile Sony will keep their mouths shut.

Advertisement