Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

When will the 'lay' FIFA/COD crowd learn about the Xbox One's restrictions?

Surely a lot of people will be fairly pissed when they realise what has changed. It almost feels like they should have a warning in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

gizmo wrote: »
    Meanwhile Sony will keep their mouths shut.

Sony are doing interviews everywhere. I've seen multiple interviews from all the high up Playstation execs. The difference being all of them seem to be genuine and interested in providing gamers a good experience. MS's execs just seem to be all businessmen who are out of touch with whats actual going on around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sony are doing interviews everywhere. I've seen multiple interviews from all the high up Playstation execs. The difference being all of them seem to be genuine and interested in providing gamers a good experience. MS's execs just seem to be all businessmen who are out of touch with whats actual going on around them.
    With all due respect, you've just proved that Sony have carried out a far better PR campaign this time around than MS. Do you really think those Sony execs walked into those interviews without their entire contents vetted before hand? You think Jack Tretton cares more about gamers than Don Mattrick? Or let me put it this way, who do you think should be attributed to this quote in relation to the 3DS?
    Our view of the 'Game Boy experience' is that it's a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those. He's too old for that.

I'm all for praising Sony for the direction they've taken with the PS4 but it's equally fair to point out that they've also run a fantastic PR campaign this time around. They've spoken when they need to, pointing out what others have already praised about their console and criticised about the competition but also not venturing too far outside of their comfort zone in the process. Meanwhile MS are too busy conducting damage control and probably being annoyed they can't exploit their Dortios/Mountain Dew campaign to its fullest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Surely a lot of people will be fairly pissed when they realise what has changed. It almost feels like they should have a warning in the box.

Will those gamers care? They play online all the time anyway, and play the same game for a year when it's worth practically nothing second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

More than likely they will never find out, they will buy it set it up and never notice that their Xbox checks in every 24 hours because they live in a modern connected world.

On the tiny off chance that they do something like move house, something that happens quite rarely and it takes 2 weeks to get new broadband set up they will use there phone. If on the even tinier chance that their internet and phone are broken in the same fortnight that they move house they will have to do the unthinkable......maybe wait a few days.... harrowing thoughts I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I dont care which multinational corporation 'cares' more. Sony deliver on good deals and don't patronise gamers. That's why they're coming off better and that's why gamers will benefit more from them, whether they 'care' or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Why cant they just use a superior product? Ps4 maybe?

Because dem Japs done did Pearl Harbour and nevr 4get! ;)
    In regards to price though its amazing how people will talk endlessly about the price of the XBox that they will have for 5 years and more but the same people will go out and spend 500 quid on a new iphone that they will keep for 2 or 3 years :pac:

This is true, but you do have to consider that the iPhone is priced about the same as it's top-of-the-line Android competition from Samsung, HTC and Sony, especially on a contract when a lot of people get them for under €200. The Xbox One has to compete directly with another product that has no real drawbacks but still costs €100 less.
    Games for iphone cost 1eu, games for xbox will cost 70eu. :pac: So initial investment is only the top of the iceberg.

Yeah but an iPhone game is like a postage stamp to a console game's canvas painting. Nobody who would call themselves a "gamer" would just play iPhone games.
    Kirby wrote: »
    "Negative press" is subjective. The average COD/Fifa dude-bro that buys the console has no idea any of this has gone on and doesn't even know what E3 is. They won't know about the always-on DRM or the used game issue.

I don't know, when all the kids in my 12-year old brother's class (these being the kind who buy only a few games a year with at least one of them always being COD or FIFA) know about the problems with the Xbox One in the same week it happened I can imagine this news has gone pretty mainstream.
    I am a bit worried about the "launches this holiday season" bit. I really hope they are not planing on releasing it a month after XBOX ONE in December. We gamers are very inpatient creatures. I could see XBOX ONE stealing a few sales from Sony in that one month.

Hey, the 360 came out a whole year before any of the competition last time and still wound up last in terms of sales (even if by only a small bit at time of writing) in this generation so I wouldn't say a month or few weeks are exactly a death knell for a late console.
    Do you really think those Sony execs walked into those interviews without their entire contents vetted before hand? You think Jack Tretton cares more about gamers than Don Mattrick?

It depends what you mean by "cares". I don't think either lose sleep at night knowing that keyboard warriors around the world are unhappy with their console but I do think Sony have tried to cater to gamers more than Microsoft who seem to be trying to cater more to those who might never even plan on sticking a game in the console.

Admittedly, it is all better PR but this kind of PR is common sense. If you're in the video game business and you're doing big live-stream reveals or conferences at trade exhibitions then that's who you should be trying to grab, not the TV-watching, COD-playing sports fans who don't even know this announcement is happening (I'm stereotyping here but it's generally true).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

C14N wrote: »

Hey, the 360 came out a whole year before any of the competition last time and still wound up last in terms of sales (even if by only a small bit at time of writing) in this generation so I wouldn't say a month or few weeks are exactly a death knell for a late console.

the 360 lost but the Ps3 only won because of japanese sales (8 mill to 1.6mill).considering that the worldwide difference between the two is less than a million units MS didnt really lose tbh

A week wont kill the Xbone but if sony a meet demand and release a week before hand the people who are sitting on the fence may buy a ps4. and the people that would by both wont be able to afford it until after christmas. this could cause a snowball effect giving sony a lead. and sony have the exclusives to keep a lead

NTMK wrote: »
    the 360 lost but the Ps3 only won because of japanese sales (8 mill to 1.6mill).considering that the worldwide difference between the two is less than a million units MS didnt really lose tbh

Out of global sales Sony sold more.. you can't just say well Sony sold more in Japan so lets not count there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Out of global sales Sony sold more.. you can't just say well Sony sold more in Japan so lets not count there.

Come to think of it. PS4 launches this time in a good few more countries too! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You can argue that Japan wasn't really Microsoft's target market though due to Sony's home advantage and that they focused on the European and US markets mostly. Did Sony sell more? Yes. Did this really translate to a loss for Microsoft? No, not if their main focus was on markets outside of Japan. It really is immaterial, both consoles sold very well and neither was a failure sales wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I think the PS3 and Xbox were close enough to call it a tie.

of course not. my apologies for the poorly worded post and this one too :o

i guess what im trying to say is that Japan is becoming less and less relevant to home gaming in the west as the Japanese are now far more interest in portable consoles and as gaming becomes more mainstream

For MS the only regions they had a chance in were the PAL region and NA where they did win in hardware sales (combined). most western publishers only care for the west as their games don't sell over there.

Im trying to articulate my point but i've been moderating twitch chat for the last too days so my brain has shut down to block the **** that ive read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

A week wont kill the Xbone but if sony a meet demand and release a week before hand the people who are sitting on the fence may buy a ps4.

I kind of think that if anyone is sitting on the fence, they won't snap up the console in the first week. Last time around there was huge launch demand for the PS3 (despite it's terrible release) and they were hard to get so the only people getting either console in the first week or so will be the people who really wanted one.
    nesf wrote: »
    Did Sony sell more? Yes. Did this really translate to a loss for Microsoft? No, not if their main focus was on markets outside of Japan. It really is immaterial, both consoles sold very well and neither was a failure sales wise.

I just want to point out that I never said Microsoft "lost", I just pointed out that despite having a year's head start they sold (slightly) fewer consoles overall than the others nearing the end of the life cycle. My main point was that being a year late didn't kill it for either Sony or Nintendo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

C14N wrote: »
    I just want to point out that I never said Microsoft "lost", I just pointed out that despite having a year's head start they sold (slightly) fewer consoles overall than the others nearing the end of the life cycle. My main point was that being a year late didn't kill it for either Sony or Nintendo.

I agree with you. I don't think one can point to any of the three major consoles of the last generation and say they failed. They all succeeded, admittedly in different ways and in different markets, but they was no loser last time around. Whether it'll pan out this way in this generation remains to be seen but honestly, even with all the bad press and reactions, I'd be surprised if Microsoft don't sell a large number of XBox Ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I think they're already learning about it. The digital rights management stuff is in all the big papers' coverage of E3/PS4/Xbox. And word of mouth is very powerful. The Mirror basically told people not to get a Xbox One, while The Sun ran this pretty unflattering comparison a day or two ago:
    l6uDBzy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If the PS4 is tilted like italics, how did they get it to stand upright like a tower?

If the PS4 is tilted like italics, how did they get it to stand upright like a tower?

There is a stand as seen here:
    PS4%20with%20stand-580-75.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

On it's side...!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Microsoft might be making region locking worse than initially thought. Basically if you get a XBox One don't go moving country any time, even if it's one of the 21 supported.:

xbregionlock_zps0dd0c039.png

• Advertisement

The XBoxSupport Twitter account has repeatedly shown itself to be unreliable with regard to unannounced info so I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

On the subject of moving countries, I'd imagine the more recent account migration functionality that MS added will also work for the XBox One.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Microsoft might be making region locking worse than initially thought. Basically if you get a XBox One don't go moving country any time, even if it's one of the 21 supported.:

WTF are they taking? so if you move from ireland to the uk (like i have) you need a new one?

How the **** are they making so many bad decisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

MS seem to be failing massively... what the hell are they thinking ?

I think they're even losing the pre-order sales battle in the US ? Didn't they dominate sony in the states this gen ?

Retr0gamer wrote: »

xbregionlock_zps0dd0c039.png

At this stage MS shot themselves in a foot, bullet then bounced and went straight for the ballsack. Then Microsoft is trying to pick out all bullet fragments using the same gun, which accidentally fires again and again... And again.

As for take tweets serious or not - bull****. We live in age where Twitter and Facebook are being used commercially. It's a main contact with a company for a large part of customers. There is no more "oh, it's only internet", should not be taken seriously. Those are official corporation accounts with payed workers to handle that job.

As for take tweets serious or not - bull****. We live in age where Twitter and Facebook are being used commercially. It's a main contact with a company for a large part of customers. There is no more "oh, it's only internet", should not be taken seriously. Those are official corporation accounts with payed workers to handle that job.
    It's not about taking them seriously or not, they've literally give out incorrect information in the last couple of weeks which would indicate they're a pretty poor source of this kind of information.

As for the contents of the tweets themselves, the second point has already been answered as part of the furore over the US military issue - as long as the game is activated in the home country then it can be played on the console regardless of where it is. From this, it's fairly safe to assume that the region locking seems to be activation-based rather than it being an issue when you go to play it.

As for the first point, as I said above it'll probably be rendered moot by the account migration changes made recently but unlike the above, it's not something MS have mentioned at all so it'd certainly be worth their while clarifying it in an FAQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,968 ✭✭✭✭Penn

WTF are they taking? so if you move from ireland to the uk (like i have) you need a new one?

How the **** are they making so many bad decisions?

I don't think there'd be any issue going from Ireland to the UK, as it's still the same Region (Region 2). Likewise going from Ireland to France or Germany. Going from Ireland to Australia or America means it's a different Region. That's where the issue is.

Penn wrote: »
    I don't think there'd be any issue going from Ireland to the UK, as it's still the same Region (Region 2). Likewise going from Ireland to France or Germany. Going from Ireland to Australia or America means it's a different Region. That's where the issue is.

but there are issues even moving within the region where the xbone wont work i.e poland, portugal, luxembourg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This is getting silly now, if you move regions your games still work. You can't buy games from the US store on your UK account and expect them to work. Just like the way it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I don't have a crystal ball so can't see the future but at the same time I seriously doubt MS didn't do their homework on this. They know that the vast majority of their customers play games like Cod or FIFA/Madden online and both the used games/online checks wouldn't really make a difference to them.

Saying that, if the shít really hits the fan for the xbone, Redmond will can surely just reverse a lot of these decisions i.e. an early price-drop (free game or two for the early adapters), open up the used games again and remove the "phone home" every 24 hours. Some games will just have to have the online requirement to work properly like Forza 5's "cloud" AI but I don't see that being a real problem. After all the 360 "core" didn't have a hard drive when it launched and a lot of games needed one and later required one...

Personally I don't know what console to go for yet. I went from ps1 -> xbox1 -> 360 (and got a ps3 later). Might make the move back to ps4 this time and only pick up a xbone a year or so later (want it for forza!).

The 100 eur price difference might be the real deal breaker for them. Sega Saturn vs Ps1 again?

• Advertisement

It's not about taking them seriously or not, they've literally give out incorrect information in the last couple of weeks which would indicate they're a pretty poor source of this kind of information.

As for the contents of the tweets themselves, the second point has already been answered as part of the furore over the US military issue - as long as the game is activated in the home country then it can be played on the console regardless of where it is. From this, it's fairly safe to assume that the region locking seems to be activation-based rather than it being an issue when you go to play it.

As for the first point, as I said above it'll probably be rendered moot by the account migration changes made recently but unlike the above, it's not something MS have mentioned at all so it'd certainly be worth their while clarifying it in an FAQ.

It is still fuzzy and nothing is cleared out at all. Same company telling different things. though if it works as they discribed in that screenshot, then lets have a look from different point of view.
    They just said word "region". It is not cleared out as it is some sort of region of countries or region as a country. They are going very specific with countries the xbox will launch. So I presume they are talking about region as a country. MS are pretty much saying to stay with your Xbox in same region where you bought it. Wount that mean, that if I buy XBOX ONE in Ireland, it will mean I can only play and activate Irish region games? I wount be able to buy games from german or UK amazon? What sort of Xboxes will people get, which preordered it on UK amazon? :confused:

I know we said, MS cant be that stupid, but the further we go, the less we can use that phrase as MS just proves us wrong again and again.

Most likely I am thinking that that last screenshot is a troll screenshot to piss off people even more, though never underestimate MS at ****ing up.

Advertisement