Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Bingo Retro, nail on head, Steam has competition where as XBL and PSN are closed systems. The only alternative to them are physical copies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Its pretty damn cool, better than PS&MS :P

Still going for PS4 though. And cheaper i believe.

For the price of an Alienware PC you could build a better one yourself for a quarter of the price. Alienware are the Apple iPhone of PCs in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

If they started selling digital releases for 10% less than retail then we'ed get somewhere. As it is Sony and MS are charging 15-20% over retail prices for digital downloads. All the overheads a B&M shop has to cover and they can still sell for less than a digital copy, something is not right. When digital downloads sales were being promoted as the future as they would be cheaper than physical copies, the exact opposite has happened. Pay more for a game you can't even trade in when you are finished, why would you bother. I like my physical copies and game box art. Used to love reading big game manuals back in the day and the new smell form them, before games got easier and hand hold tutorials made them redundant.

Example: Ni No Kuni when released was €40 delivered from Amazon, came out as a digital download on PSN at the same for €59.99. That's a joke, and it's not right or justified. Until that's sorted out I will continue to buy physical copies only.

+1...add to which i said a digital copy cuts out the second hand market completely, but for some reason you pay alot more for a digital copy, and as i said long after the game has been released the price never drops...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

For the price of an Alienware PC you could build a better one yourself for a quarter of the price. Alienware are the Apple iPhone of PCs in fairness.

Oh I know, but its a machine ive always wanted, So saved hard and finally got one a while back. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It was their hope to roll out a decent digital service like Steam with much cheaper digital games but it turns out no one wants this. They would much rather get a fiver from Gamestop for their old games than have steam like sales on XboxOne.

Microsoft sure kept quite that they were going to give us cheaper digital sales. If they came out and said the following: "okay guys, closed system and we're checking you every 24 hours but now games cost just €30 on release because there's no middle man that has plenty of his own bills. We'll also do several sales a week on all sorts of games (recent, semi-recent, indie etc) where you can save anywhere between 20 and 90 per cent on RRP"

then you can guarantee that there would be far fewer people objecting. As it is for digital content, the record generally shows that prices are at least as high on release and tend not to drop over time as they do at retail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I tried this and it's actually true:

O5dSpJ5.png

cdh.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ looks like serial keys and online activation is coming and why EA got rid of online passes:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/electronic-art-cooking-up-game-drm-policy-xbox-one-ps4/

I'll bet its gonna cost more then 9.99 now if the game is preowned/activated on another console.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

^ looks like serial keys and online activation is coming and why EA got rid of online passes:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/electronic-art-cooking-up-game-drm-policy-xbox-one-ps4/

I'll bet its gonna cost more then 9.99 now if the game is preowned/activated on another console.

Well, it is interesting. To be honest, regardless of whether the publishers saw the Xbox One DRM coming or not, they do have to respond to the fact that one console will monetise used games sales and the other will not.

Overall, while the Xbox One will be seen as the creator of this situation, it could end up being the better system for used games. At the very least, it's a Microsoft provided solution, the same for all publishers and games on the system. If enough publishers do go down the path of creating a method to control used games sale on the PS4, it could end up in a nightmare situation where by games shops aren't involved at all, or each games ending up with a different solution.

One other point is that people keep talking about how publishers won't want to take the PR hit from creating/using DRM, but a counterpoint to that would be the current situation with Simcity. Plenty of PR heat, but millions of sales, and a huge base for their DLC/Advertising platform.

Whatever happens, this is definitely been one of the most interesting times for our chosen hobby.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I tried it too just there, must have been changed if this was well known because now searching for either console on either engine returns a load of negative replies :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's just a rebranded Dell these days.
    The only thing driving sales on Steam is competition. In a closed system like on XBox One it's a total monopoly and therefore sales and value for money are dreadful. It's the same on all the closed system consoles and it will be the same for these consoles when they are released. Believing you'll get steam style sales is absolute fantasy.

They aren't entirely closed though. The competitor for Xbox Marketplace is PS Store. They could use their online stores to compete, but don't really seem to.

That article seems to indicate or at least speculate the possibility of linking a game to an origin account, for always online gameplay, similar to the new sim city. Didn't appear to mention anything about passes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

Not getting either of them
    This is it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nE6KV2BvNw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

IMAGES
    That's weird, I tried this last night on Bing and again this morning and I got "XBox One is " crap, rubbish and bad followed by an amusing "better than the ps4". Perhaps the reaction in the UK has been somewhat more negative? :o

They aren't entirely closed though. The competitor for Xbox Marketplace is PS Store. They could use their online stores to compete, but don't really seem to.

Not the same situation. Steam is trying to sell the exact same games to the exact same people as the retailers are. If a Steam price is too high, it's quite easy to turn to a competing shop (digital OR bricks and mortar) and buy it at a more competitive price.

Since most people don't buy both consoles (I honestly don't personally know anyone who has both a PS3 and a 360 even now), they're selling to different groups of people. The Xbox One users won't even be looking at the prices on the PS4 and vice versa unless they are insanely out of sync. So if a price is too high on one, most people will just have to pay it (since going for the competition involves a several-hundred Euro investment). This is especially true for exclusives. If MS decides Halo 5 will cost €70, you can't just go and get it on PSN instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

C14N wrote: »
    Not the same situation. Steam is trying to sell the exact same games to the exact same people as the retailers are. If a Steam price is too high, it's quite easy to turn to a competing shop (digital OR bricks and mortar) and buy it at a more competitive price.

Since most people don't buy both consoles (I honestly don't personally know anyone who has both a PS3 and a 360 even now), they're selling to different groups of people. The Xbox One users won't even be looking at the prices on the PS4 and vice versa unless they are insanely out of sync. So if a price is too high on one, most people will just have to pay it (since going for the competition involves a several-hundred Euro investment). This is especially true for exclusives. If MS decides Halo 5 will cost €70, you can't just go and get it on PSN instead.

That's why I said "not entirely." They could use their online stores to entice before someone makes the investment of purchasing a console, when one is to take into account the cost of media that's avail as multi platform.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's why I said "not entirely." They could use their online stores to entice before someone makes the investment of purchasing a console, when one is to take into account the cost of media that's avail as multi platform.

It's a nice idea but if that were true the current marketplace wouldn't be such a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ninjaholic

gizmo wrote: »
    That's weird, I tried this last night on Bing and again this morning and I got "XBox One is " crap, rubbish and bad followed by an amusing "better than the ps4". Perhaps the reaction in the UK has been somewhat more negative? :o

When you have to live in a country where broadband availability isn't the most reliable and where the internet is the most excitement to be found within a 40km radius and your Xbox is online-only you'll understand what sudden, painful boredom does to someone who WAS enjoying their few free hours playing J-Random-Hit-Title and now has to resort to leering in the neighbours bedroom window again for excitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Fao anyone wondering about the Ps+ service. I'm in love with it so much being a cheapskate only really buy the odd title a year.

This year I've bought Fifa 13(2nd hand!) and the Last of Us. The rest was cheaper stuff like Walking Dead, Journey and Ico + Shadow.

However I do own a €50 Playstation+ yearly sub.

Here are the games coming out this month for free
    Entering PS Plus in July:
    3rd July: Battlefield 3
    3rd July: Payday: The Heist
    3rd July: Saints Row the Third
    3rd July: Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
    3rd July: Unit 13

I really hope they keep it up with the PS4. It's my main reason for getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

RasTa wrote: »
    Fao anyone wondering about the Ps+ service. I'm in love with it so much being a cheapskate only really buy the odd title a year.

This year I've bought Fifa 13 and the last of us. The rest was cheaper stuff like Walking Dead, Journey and Ico + Shadow.

Entering PS Plus in July:
    3rd July: Battlefield 3
    3rd July: Payday: The Heist
    3rd July: Saints Row the Third
    3rd July: Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
    3rd July: Unit 13

I really hope they keep it up with the PS4. It's my main reason for getting one.

Thats insane value for money. Do you get to play those games just this month or once they're installed you keep them until you uninstall ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Magill wrote: »
    Thats insane value for money. Do you get to play those games just this month or once they're installed you keep them until you uninstall ?

You can play them for as long as you keep up your PS+ subscription, if your PS+ subscription runs out you can no longer play them, but if you re-subscribe you get them all back without losing any games you previously got on PS+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Magill wrote: »

They are yours forever however they won't work if your + subscription is not active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

You'd be MAD to not have Ps Plus. It's unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

RasTa wrote: »

This year I've bought Fifa 13(2nd hand!) and the Last of Us. The rest was cheaper stuff like Walking Dead, Journey and Ico + Shadow.

bf3 and saints row 3

only time id actually admit were sony have microsoft beat
    at least microsoft are getting their act together "with only a couple of months left until next gen" at giving us free games
    even if the free games their giving us are very old and rubbish now :L and more then likely the servers have been taken offline :pac:

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    bf3 and saints row 3

Exclusive games too by a long shot. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    bf3 and saints row 3

You should have seen E3.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you sign up for PS+ now can you get past games that were on it?

stevenmu wrote: »
    If you sign up for PS+ now can you get past games that were on it?

There is an instant games catalogue with about 10 games on it, you get them but not the previous monthly deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Exclusive games too by a long shot. ;)

Debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Debatable.

Certainly there may be particular titles you take a fancy to, but for the sheer number of quality titles, and the variety of genres they span, PlayStation exclusives win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Meanwhile on xbox we get Halo 3 and AC2... Time to pick up a PS+ Account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Grayditch wrote: »
    You should have seen E3.

in my opinion
    sony at E3 was very bland and boring
    people talk about xboxone focusing on entertainment and not gaming

people say sony are focusing more on gaming

thats a load of bollochs , the first 25 mins of sonys media breifing was about watching tele and social media :L

their exclusives were ****e as well( none of there games are my taste )

so its a matter of opinion really

YOU SHOULD OF SEEN E3 is how i will respond to you sir :)

Advertisement