Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    thats a load of bollochs , the first 25 mins of sonys media breifing was about watching tele and social media :L

What a load of bull, you're just making **** up now.

They mention netflix and skype on the vita and only gave it about as much time as this sentence. they then after showing the PS4 spend all of 5 minutes on movies and music.

The only social I can find was when Yoshida said he uses it and it's important, can't even remember or find any other mention of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

As an owner of both the 360 and PS3, I snap up most exclusives for either. The 360 has The Witcher 2, which is for me, better than Skyrim. I was a big fan of the Halo and GOW series, until both dried up in the ideas and fun department. Until recently, only the 360 had Deadly Premonitions (The PS3 version has improved the game) and then there's Alan Wake, as well as stuff like Fez, Super Meat Boy, but here's the deal...

The PS3 has better exclusives, if you ask me. The Uncharted series, Killzones, Resistances, MGS4, Heavy Rain, Journey, Demon's Souls, the Little Big Planets, The Last Of Us. I play a lot of games, and I always ignore people who decide to give an opinion of which consoles have better exclusives, when they only own one console, saying things like "Well those games don't interest me"... phhft, whatever. Easy to say, if you're interests are limited.

If Sony start the PS4 campaign like they've finished the PS3 one, then they will be delivering some of the best games you can get in 2014 onwards, while Microsoft sort of got by on early DLC for multiplatform games of late. I know who my money's on, the developers, and where they seem to be flocking to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Varik wrote: »
    What a load of bull, you're just making **** up now.

They mention netflix and skype on the vita and only gave it about as much time as this sentence. they then after showing the PS4 spend all of 5 minutes on movies and music.

The only social I can find was when Yoshida said he uses it and it's important, can't even remember or find any other mention of it.

they went on about it for as long as xbox did :L

im still deciding which one to get

so at least i have my fanboy hat off :L
    you sony boys cant admit when something bad is sad about the ps4 :pac:
    which is pathetic

go ahead and live in lala land :pac: i simply pointed out
    sony are making the move towards entertainment as well
    so xbox aint alone in it

as for the last post

i have both consoles
    sony have only 1 exclusive that i wanted and that was metal gear solid
    by far the best exclusive out of all games ive played of ps and xbox

but its clear ya cant have a discussion here because nothing bad can be said about playstation :L

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Very disappointing that it seems 30FPS will be the norm again. It's kind of inevitible since the trade off in how much more detail you can put in a game if you drop the framerate is so tempting.

• Advertisement

they went on about it for as long as xbox did :L

MS probably spent less time during the E3 conference and they only mentioned some social/sharing stuff as they've gotten most of that information out at the announcement.
    t
    so at least i have my fanboy hat off :L
    you sony boys cant admit when something bad is sad about the ps4 :pac:
    which is pathetic

When you stop making **** up the "Sony boys" will stop calling you on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to say I was more impressed by Microsofts games showing as well.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Very disappointing that it seems 30FPS will be the norm again. It's kind of inevitible since the trade off in how much more detail you can put in a game if you drop the framerate is so tempting.

Depends on the game really which is more important, I'd take sub 720@60 for a fighting game certain shooters but are games where the hit to framerate is worth it.

Playing Planetside 2 right now where it's a major issue and frame rates can go from 90+ to 30+ for me, and since hit detection is client side and framerate based it's a huge pain; the game is badly optimized and even faster PCs suffer in large battles.

For Infamous and Killzone 30 is fine but I hope BF4 runs at 60.

+1.....i dont think the GPU is capable of 60fps, not with 1080p and all the particle efftects, its too weak a GPU. Hell even the high end GTX 770 or 780 can strugle with 60fps.

So a mid range GPU cant cut it, though tweaking and learning the ins and outs + more refined SDK could chance this over time....who knows........:confused:

Playing Planetside 2 right now where it's a major issue and frame rates can go from 90+ to 30+ for me, and since hit detection is client side and framerate based it's a huge pain; the game is badly optimized and even faster PCs suffer in large battles.

:( I have high hopes for it being my new MAG on PS4, but this isn't good, surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Mainly a PC gamer myself (fnaw fnaw :pac:) but up to this point have been quite a regular Xbox user. Halo will always have a place in my heart, they can ring the series as dry as they want and I'll still be buying the games!

BUT I have to say, I think the PS4 might have pipped Microsoft. What's turning me off more than anything is how snotty they're being being about the, in my opinion very reasonable, criticism leveled at the Xbox One. That said there's a ridiculous amount of smug coming out of the Sony camp which is irritating as hell.

Moral of the story, they're both probably going to have a lot of great titles, and whichever you pick you'll probably enjoy the hell out of. It really just comes down to what you're looking for out of your machine!

I'm probably going to skip this generation and upgrade my PC, because let's face it, the consoles are never going to be more powerful than it anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

It depends on the type of game, the Uncharteds and The Last of Us style games are fine at 30FPS. The shooters and fighting games would want to be 60FPS.

Grayditch wrote: »
    :( I have high hopes for it being my new MAG on PS4, but this isn't good, surely.

Other than scale it's not really like MAG at all. Other PVP mmo are closer to it than any FPS is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Stability and consistency are the most important things when it comes to fps. The vast majority of games perform perfectly fine at 30 fps as long as its locked there and doesn't dip.

For example, a game that runs at a constant 30 fps will look, play and feel a lot more smooth than a 60 fps that occasionally dips into the 20's. It's just so jarring and noticeable.

30 fps is fine. The only area where 60 fps matters is First person shooter multiplayer and fighting games. Racing games are hit and miss so that's a judgement call. Every other genre doesn't need it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Problem is that most console games this gen tend and struggle to maintain that 30 fps . Least that's the conclusion I got from reading Digital Foundry articles over on Eurogamer. So they struggle for smoothness as well, unless some form of adaptive V-sync is used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

For Infamous and Killzone 30 is fine but I hope BF4 runs at 60.

I'm fairly sure they did say at E3 before the Battlefield demo that it was running at 60fps. Honestly, I don't notice any real problems on my PS3 with framerate, even when switching over from a PC. 30fps usually does fine for me even though there are a lot of PC gamers who would call it "unplayable".

Games at 30FPS are perfectly fine, most people won't notice any difference.
    The problem arises when a game is unable to stay stable on a certain frame rate.
    60FPS is fine, but if it keeps fluctuating at certain parts you're going to notice that whereas you won't notice if its just a steady 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

danthefan wrote: »
    Link doesn't work.

Site crashed should be back up in a few minutes

• Advertisement

Ryan451 wrote: »

:eek: be interesting how the fanboys react to this and the gaming press, it could be great or a huge facepalm moment....if they knock off 100 quid....then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

what is it about ?

Magill wrote: »
    what is it about ?

Basically says MS is going to backtrack on all its DRM policies, authentication, basically everything bad with X1. But it doesn't have a source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Magill wrote: »
    what is it about ?

MS back-pedaling on DRM. GiantBomb are reliable

no check in
    no region locks
    trade ins will work the same
    discs work the same
    internet connection only required for set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Ahhh... hopefully its true. Should help repair some of the damage thats been done since they announced it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

Well after all the revelations about the Xbox One, I've gone from buying-the-XboxOne to definitely-not-buying-the-XboxOne. Might buy a PS now, still not sure. I know Microsoft's lack of consumer focus is legendary but I'm amazed they have made so many obvious errors this time around.

The extra $100 I could have personally overlooked if everything else was ok but the potential privacy issues, the anti-consumer used game policy and crucially, the mandatory internet connection issues break the end-product for me.

Having suffered Microsoft's shocking Games For Windows Live for years - just wait until you are not allowed to play the game you paid for because of Microsoft connection problems. It is so utterly infuriating that I know I would cause damage to my home. To have set aside some precious time for gaming, and to be set up to play your new favourite game that you have eagerly anticipated, and then to be not allowed to play that game because Microsoft's servers are being tempermental, or your own internet connection is on the blink or whatever the multitude of reasons were (and will be!) causes a very, very special anger, for which I will never forgive Microsoft and which I never wish to endure again.

Just you wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It will be shocking if they will do it. In a good way though. It would show that there is point voicing your opinion and fight back the stupid policies these huge corporation implement.

If they will really revert it to normal, then Xbox one would be back on this list of devices to get.

It will be shocking if they will do it. In a good way though. It would show that there is point voicing your opinion and fight back the stupid policies these huge corporation implement.

If they will really revert it to normal, then Xbox one would be back on this list of devices to get.

Tolerating this kind of thing is putting gaming on a fast track to more restrictions. I'm glad people are speaking out anyway.

• Advertisement

Page can't be found.

Advertisement