Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

That's great that they're changing their policies, but it doesn't change Microsoft's original intent. It's almost like if someone said that they wanted to beat you up, but then they learned that you were going to call the cops, and so now they turn around and say that they aren't going to beat you up because they will get into trouble. Why people support companies like this, I'll never understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Back tracking on initial policies.

Does Enda Kenny work for Microsoft now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I'm sorry but this is hilarious! Sony should really use this as a marketing campaign. Something like the 3 ad.

WP_000372-767x1024.jpg

Even with these changes, the biggest issue for me is still always having to have the kinect connected and until that is removed, I have no interest in purchasing the XB.
    I bet Gamestops stocks will rise on this news, Sonys will go down and MS will go up, and Gamestop execs will party hard and count those dollah billz yáll!

I can only imagine what it's like in GameStop HQ. They're probably cracking open the Champagne.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

I'm not sure why everyone hates the kinect always on things to much??

Well, apart from the potential for Orwellian shenanigans of course.

Also, now that Microsoft has literally given people exactly what they wanted, they're just huffy because they didn't get it straight away, like spoiled kids or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really annoyed - especially over having to have the disc in the tray, so now there awesom jump in jump out of games OS design is useless.

The morons who have caused this have ruined the xbox1 completely IMO.

Now all we have is a console with better graphics, and that's it. Wonderful.

• Advertisement

Really annoyed - especially over having to have the disc in the tray, so now there awesom jump in jump out of games OS design is useless.

You can still get a digital download that doesn't require a disc. As far as I can see, everyone wins.
    Keggers2 wrote: »

Also, now that Microsoft has literally given people exactly what they wanted, they're just huffy because they didn't get it straight away, like spoiled kids or something.

The same reason why I didn't buy a Wii. All I want to do is sit there and game with the controller. I have no interest in voice commands, flapping my arms around like an idiot etc.

Not to mention a camera watching you all day. I'm not normally in the tin foil hat clan but that freaks me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm not sure why everyone hates the kinect always on things to much?? Well, apart from the potential for Orwellian shenanigans of course.

HA HA HA HA! With check-ins & used game shenanigans sorted, all I need now is the ability to always leave kinect unplugged and €100 off the price and I'll get an Xbone. MS deserve teasing for doing a 180 on their arrogant stance, but I'm really glad they did. Shock horror, happy gamers make for better customers!

Question though - doesn't PS+ make downloads/installations for PS3 faster? It's aggravatingly slow in general. Are there any specific PS+only servers (i.e. better multiplayer experience)? Because my online experience XBL vs free PSN is not close by any stretch.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    You can still get a digital download that doesn't require a disc. As far as I can see, everyone wins.

The same reason why I didn't buy a Wii. All I want to do is sit there and game with the controller. I have no interest in voice commands, flapping my arms around like an idiot etc.

Not to mention a camera watching you all day. I'm not normally in the tin foil hat clan but that freaks me out.
    i don't have the data cap to download games.

Really does feel like MS have binned their next gen features. Console is far less appealing now.

Likely no cloud based computing.

No jumping in and out of games.

No online availability.

No library sharing.

The next gen features are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Don says buy a 360.

Really does feel like MS have binned their next gen features. Console is far less appealing now.

No online availability.

No library sharing.

I haven't been following every post on this thread but from the people I've talked to and amongst my mates, you are the only person I know who is disappointed by this change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

What are the implications of this? To me? Less bloat and more of the OS used to proper purpose. Obviously, proper purpose to me is different than it is for you, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Pushtrak wrote: »
    What are the implications of this? To me? Less bloat and more of the OS used to proper purpose. Obviously, proper purpose to me is different than it is for you, though.

That's still there, what ever bloat there was or wasn't it remains unchanged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Once they lost control of the narative about their product and had mainstream media telling people that they couldn't play without an internet connection or give their games to their friends, they lost the battle. They had no choice really and the whole think is so like the Windows 8 debacle and the changes they were forced into there, it's freaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Varik wrote: »
    That's still there, what ever bloat there was or wasn't it remains unchanged.
    I'd have thought that, but ages ago I read about this... I think I read about it around when it was news.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/23/70mb-of-additional-ram-unlocked-for-ps3-developers/

Pushtrak wrote: »

I would have had the ease of just deciding to play another game, pause the game, select the one I want to play and it starts. Now I still hv to exit out, take out the disk, insert new disk and go again. Same as now, but the new way would have been neat.

Now way will the memory be released. W will likel still be able to switch to the net (but not blu rays anymore) without having to change disks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I just hate the kinect. I don't like the idea that it's always on, but more importantly I don't want the kinect, I don't want it to be compulsory. I'll never buy a kinect or PS move game. I already have a wii that hasn't been switched on in 3 years gathering dust under the telly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What a radical u-turn, rare to see such a major reversal in policy. But really they basically had to do it, there was no other way it was going to enter the market as a viable contender.

Now they just need to open up the console to indie developers, which TBH I think I have more of a fundamental problem with than DRM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Cloud computing is just a buzz word for fancy off site work, which hasn't been reported as being scrapped

No online availability.

Well if you buy your games digitally there is no reason why you cant "jump in and out"
    No library sharing.

Library sharing? I don't know what Microsoft's family sharing policies were because I don't think they were very clear on the subject to begin with.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869
    Microsoft are having issues with eSRAM with their new console and as for your "morons" ruined the xbox1, you are blatantly trolling this thread.

Cloud computing is just a buzz word for fancy off site work, which hasn't been reported as being scrapped

Well if you buy your games digitally there is no reason why you cant "jump in and out"

Library sharing? I don't know what Microsoft's family sharing policies were because I don't think they were very clear on the subject to begin with.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869
    Microsoft are having issues with eSRAM with their new console and as for your "morons" ruined the xbox1, you are blatantly trolling this thread.

Ms have denied any downgrading of he Xbox power, in direct response to that rumour.

I'm not trolling, I just think the some of the policies ms were trying to introduce with actually next gen revolutionary stuff. The restrictions on the games went too far, but hey have rolled back too far and we have lost some great features of the console. It is now nothing more than an incremental upgrade. Nothing next gen about the console apart from prettier graphics now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

oAyQGOe.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I haven't been following every post on this thread but from the people I've talked to and amongst my mates, you are the only person I know who is disappointed by this change.

I'm disappointed with it. We have lost lots of excellent progressive features which have been replaced by something no one will use and will inconvenience everybody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

MS are making this up as they go along now!....http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-drm-reversal-cuts-features-requires-one-time-514419715?rev=1371676969

Constantly changing statements, statements to clarify more statements, tings removed, patches.....loopers!

I'm disappointed with it. We have lost lots of excellent progressive features which have been replaced by something no one will use and will inconvenience everybody.

What's this "something"?

Microsoft also announced today a loosening of the Xbox One's regional restrictions. "You could buy a console in any country and use it any country," Whitten said. "You can use any disc in that console."

Guys from Poland and Portugal will be pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

This and the windows 8 debacle would make you wonder who the people are that made the decisions in the first place that thought these were good ideas in the 1st place and whether or not they are still employed by MS?

Either way the arrogance shown by them at e3 in terms of we'll tell you what you want etc etc and ignore our current user base totally will take a lot more than a U-turn to convince me to sign up for their higher priced and less powerful than the competition crap box................. and this is coming from a self confessed achievement whore :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

But... but what about the power of the cloud???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

It's good news that shouldn't have even been an issue in the first place but it does mean I may pick up a Xbox 180 down the line but still going to be a PS4 for me first. Better hardware and better price.

Happend other way round for me this generation but currently my PS3 gets way more use then my 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Honestly, that's enough for me to get an Xbox One now I think. My personal stance was that I liked the look of Xbox One, and really wanted the games on it, but I was very upset with the restrictions and didn't want to support a console with them in place. Now that they are gone, I think I'm going to go with it. Also, just very happy they have made this change when it seemed they were going to be so stubborn.

Maybe. I may still go PS4. Ah feck it I'll decide in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

TBH, I don't care what Microsoft do or say now. I've made my decision, and they have turned me right off getting an Xbone.

I STILL don't think M$ have a clue what they are doing, they're just throwing out what they think people want to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'll be interested to see if heads will roll at MS for this. They certainly handled the delivery of bad news poorly and at times seemed to be ignorant about it.

Advertisement