Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,563 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you base your buying decisions based on loyalty to a manufacturer then you're a clown imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm not sure it's loyalty, but I know a lot of people that stick to certain car or T.V manufacturer because they've never failed them in the past. I know there's only about 5 brands of T.V I'd buy, even less for laptops. Same with shoes! So, if someone says, I've always had Xbox/Ps, and I'll stick with that, then that's fine. If someone says I'm loyal to Microsoft/Sony, that then sounds weird. Loyal, lolz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you base your buying decisions based on loyalty to a manufacturer then you're a clown imo.

I couldn't agree more but that's still what a fanboy is. Apple fanboys aren't the people who say "I need a new phone, I think I'll check out the new HTC, Samsung, Sony and Apple phones and make a decision", they're the ones who hear the iPhone has a new number and therefore money must be spent on it at the earliest time possible.

Same for consoles, they don't wait to see the games or the features, they just pick one and then defend everything about it, downplaying all the flaws of their own one and magnifying the flaws of the others. It's like supporting a football team. It's not even just brand loyalty like "Company X have released good products in the past so their new one will likely be too", you have to actively dislike every other option.

I know because when I was about 13 I was one :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,563 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's loyalty, but I know a lot of people that stick to certain car or T.V manufacturer because they've never failed them in the past. I know there's only about 5 brands of T.V I'd buy, even less for laptops. Same with shoes! So, if someone says, I've always had Xbox/Ps, and I'll stick with that, then that's fine. If someone says I'm loyal to Microsoft/Sony, that then sounds weird. Loyal, lolz.

True but if you get a better deal or they let you down you should definitely change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gizmo wrote: »
    Indeed. The system, as it exists now, represents one of the most effective ways of enticing people onto digital downloads in my opinion. It's pretty much win win, you buy the disc in the store, use it to install the game thus saving yourself the hefty download and can then either chuck the disc or keep it for a re-install later all the while knowing it's tied to your account for access at any time on any PC.

I've then seen plenty of folk ask themselves why bother buying the disc in the first place since they weigh the convenience of the digital purchase as worth the download cost. So what happens for Steam et al then? They get their cut of the initial purchase instead of the retailer. From a platform owners perspective it's ****ing genius.

Yeah the only difference was, PC gamers were already pretty used to online activation by that stage in some games. One-use keys and so on. Or especially for multiplayer games, serial number checks for games logging into the official server to prevent multiple copies playing online at the same time. (I remember in the early 2000s being able to share PC games with friends, back then automatic online activation wasn't a thing usually) Though with the ease with which one could copy games on the format it's not unreasonable to expect PC gamers to accept its necessity. Console gamers on the other hand aren't in that position, copying the physical discs isn't as trivial. Pirating is perfectly possibly but again not as hassle free as is it was on PC back then. I can understand why they are slower to accept the need for DRM, although reselling of games is probably costing console devs more than pirating on the PC ever was back then before the days of fast internet for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Have you guys seen this? http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2

A blog post from an MS employee, he actually finally describes what the Family Sharing feature was:

" when you buy your games for Xbox One, you can set any of them to be part of your shared library. Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world. There was never any catch to that, they didn't have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to."

Alot of people thought you could share full games, and were upset the feature was removed. Seeing as it was essentially a glorified demo, I don't give a ****e that it's gone. It would have been cool, sure, but I won't lose sleep over it. It was hardly the future of gaming.

Really, I can't believe how vague Microsoft were in describing this console's features. They let SO MUCH false information, about almost every single feature, get spread around. If they were concise and clear from day 1, they would gave been fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Haha. 15-45 mins. Imagine a Metal Gear Solid game. That's a bit of the first movie sequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

A blog post from an MS employee, he actually finally describes what the Family Sharing feature was:

" when you buy your games for Xbox One, you can set any of them to be part of your shared library. Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world. There was never any catch to that, they didn't have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to."

Alot of people thought you could share full games, and were upset the feature was removed. Seeing as it was essentially a glorified demo, I don't give a ****e that it's gone. It would have been cool, sure, but I won't lose sleep over it. It was hardly the future of gaming.

Really, I can't believe how vague Microsoft were in describing this console's features. They let SO MUCH false information, about almost every single feature, get spread around. If they were concise and clear from day 1, they would gave been fine.

20gb download for 30minutes of demo... REVOLUTIONARY NEXT GEN STUFF HERE LADS! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i believe everything i read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Why would anyone believe an anonymous comment on pastebin? For a start;
    The motto around the offices for the family plan was "It's the console gaming equivalent to spotify and pandora" it was a social network within itself!
    makes no sense whatsoever. How is it anything like Spotify or Pandora? Plus both of which aren't like each other, and neither are a social network. Some people have far too much time on their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

indough wrote: »
    i believe everything i read

That is a ****load more plausible than allowing people to share games for free. I never once believed it tbh. It makes zero market sense whatsoever.

This is all Microsofts own fault. They released no concrete information other than the price. And let everything else be rumours and what not. It was a PR disaster from the word go and the whole PR team deserved to be fired for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Product loyalty and Fanboyism should not be mixed up, I really couldn't see myself getting a playstation and PS+ after nine years with xboxlive...I'm institutionalised, to much monetary investment put in with MS. Turtle beach headset with dds2 amp, money down the drain? But now, would have been the time to change.

I would also hope that MS will in time introduce backwards compatibility, as I do enjoy throwing in some old games from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don Mattrick, Major Nelson and anyone else remotely involved in Xbox One PR should be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I'm pretty sure in that interview with Major Nelson he said that 2 people would not be able to play the same game at the same time with this new family library feature. Not 100% sure on that... will need to watch it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

See Apple fanboys for more...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I agree but without those clowns Nintendo would be just making games not consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure in that interview with Major Nelson he said that 2 people would not be able to play the same game at the same time with this new family library feature. Not 100% sure on that... will need to watch it again.

Doesn't matter now anyway, family sharing is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I agree but without those clowns Nintendo would be just making games not consoles.
    Maybe. I'd say it's loyalty to games/franchises more than anything else though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think not. The Wii's success was due to the softcore market, not the hardcore one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

So what games are you guys going to get for whatever console you buy?

Definitely going to get Watch_Dogs. I'll get some version of Drive Club with PS+ (I think it has less tracks or cars or both), and am considering Killzone. On top of that some of the indie games look good so might just grab some from PSN.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Maybe. I'd say it's loyalty to games/franchises more than anything else though.

If nintendo keep making some of the best games out there I'll keep buying them. I've no loyalty to them and they are just as evil as Sony and MS if not more so (thanks for inventing region locking you ****wads!). When they stop making great games I'll stop buying their consoles/games.
    danthefan wrote: »

Definitely going to get Watch_Dogs. I'll get some version of Drive Club with PS+ (I think it has less tracks or cars or both), and am considering Killzone. On top of that some of the indie games look good so might just grab some from PSN.

I kind of regret pre-ordering the PS4. I've no money for it first of all but the launch line up looks ****, but then most consoles are crap at launch. Knack interested me the most but digital foundry wasn't all that hot on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Probably completely accurate imo, to sell 1 game and allow 10 other people to play it would be taking more money from the publishers than renting and reselling ever would, they were never going to allow full game downloads for 10 people at no charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

danthefan wrote: »

I've preordered Assassins Creed: Black Flag and Watch_Dogs. I may pick up Lego Marvel Heroes, but it depends on release date. If there's not a big difference between the Xbox 360 and PS4 versions, I'll just get the 360 version as I won't have to buy another controller for my son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Open to correction on this, but didn't Sony already say that all Demos on the PS4 would be the full game but with a time limit, then after that time is up you can choose to buy the full game or not (like how full game trials on PS+ currently work). If that relates to every game, then surely Microsoft's plan of only being able to do that with games in your friends shared library is worse.

But I completely agree, Microsoft's explanations and presentations of these features has been a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

cadete wrote: »
    Probably completely accurate imo, to sell 1 game and allow 10 other people to play it would be taking more money from the publishers than renting and reselling ever would, they were never going to allow full game downloads for 10 people at no charge

I was thinking that it might be possible but only on the condition that if one of your friends are playing the game then the rest couldn't. Similar to a physical copy. There is only one to go around.

Great infograph from someone on reddit.

MLPe57O.png

They left out the 32MB of eSRAM on the XBox One graphics chip. It's not really known how this will affect games but I'm guessing it will be used as a framebuffer like the eDRAM on the 360. It's got a huge amount of bandwidth compared to even the PS3's DDR5 RAM but I think DDR5 is fast enough to be used as a framebuffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

They left out the 32MB of eSRAM on the XBox One graphics chip. It's not really known how this will affect games but I'm guessing it will be used as a framebuffer like the eDRAM on the 360. It's got a huge amount of bandwidth compared to even the PS3's DDR5 RAM but I think DDR5 is fast enough to be used as a framebuffer.
    The eSRAM is on a system level this time around rather than just the GPU. Whether it's used as a general cache or frame buffer will most likely be up to the dev and/or game dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Can anyone explain these two points. I'm not completely familiar with some of the technical jargon.

Firstly what will it mean that the PlayStation is more powerful? Will there be a difference between the graphical output or general quality between games released on both consoles and what will it mean for future releases? Will the difference be that noticeable?

Secondly, what are the implications to us, the gamers, regarding the point that indie developers can self publish on the PS4 and not on the One? To be honest I don't know what this means at all.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Firstly what will it mean that the PlayStation is more powerful? Will there be a difference between the graphical output or general quality between games released on both consoles and what will it mean for future releases? Will the difference be that noticeable?

While the PS4 will be marginally more powerful, there will probably be little to no difference in the games until devs have more time with both systems
    Pac1Man wrote: »
    Secondly, what are the implications to us, the gamers, regarding the point that indie developers can self publish on the PS4 and not on the One? To be honest I don't know what this means at all.:o

It just means that indie developers do not need to partner up with bigger publishers or Microsoft themselves (which normally requires relinquishing rights to their games) to get their title on the PSN. This may lead to more developers choosing to release on PSN and not XBL, like Jonathan Blow (The Witness) and Phil Fish (Fez 2).

Advertisement