Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Firstly what will it mean that the PlayStation is more powerful? Will there be a difference between the graphical output or general quality between games released on both consoles and what will it mean for future releases? Will the difference be that noticeable?
    While it's too early to say for sure right now, going by previous generations it'll come down to this: most third party titles (those not developed by Sony or Microsoft) will generally look and play the same. The PS4 versions may have some general performance benefits in areas and there may be graphical trade offs, for better or for worse, between the two consoles. How significant those italicised points are, if they exist at all, will come down to the studios and games involved.

The differences will really be shown when you factor in the first party titles though as Sony have both the game studios and R&D teams behind them to really push the hardware. Examples of this this generation would be the Uncharteds, God of War and The Last of Us which looked and/or preformed considerably better than not only most other third parties titles but also MS' own first party ones.
    Pac1Man wrote: »
    Secondly, what are the implications to us, the gamers, regarding the point that indie developers can self publish on the PS4 and not on the One? To be honest I don't know what this means at all.:o
    This is a bigger issue. What it means is that there'll be a large number of games which quite simply won't come out on the XBox One unless MS reverse this position. A number of developers have already come out and confirmed this will be the case with their own titles and I can certainly see that number increasing over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Thanks guys, that cleared up a few things and confirmed where I stand in this 'battle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I remember having all these discussions when the 360 and PS3 came out amongst my friends in school. The class was completely divided and everyone knew who was getting what. :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

This is actually a big point : Do you know if the PS4/Xbone will allow you to copy vids/music/themes etc onto the hard drive? My PS3 gets a lot more use because of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

jaykhunter wrote: »
    This is actually a big point : Do you know if the PS4/Xbone will allow you to copy vids/music/themes etc onto the hard drive? My PS3 gets a lot more use because of this.

The media playback capabilities of both consoles are unknown....as in file type support, if say .mkv support is added that would be a huge + for either camp.

I doubt you can rp movies via the Blu-Ray drive ala DRM....but downloading movies files onto flash drive should be ok, again depending on file support.

I assume just like the PS3 you can rip CD's to mp3 or AAC....but .flac support would be most welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Didn't the PS3 implement some kind of DRM on video playback from USB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Didn't the PS3 implement some kind of DRM on video playback from USB?

It's not from USB it's the PS3 as a whole, and since it's part of the Blu-ray standard now then both the PS4 and Xbone will have it as well as all new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Rascasse wrote: »
    Why would anyone believe an anonymous comment on pastebin?

30a.jpeg
    I agree but without those clowns Nintendo would be just making games not consoles.

That doesn't make any sense. The Wii sold 100m units, it's actually impossible that was from Gamecube-inspired brand loyalty (unless every GC owner bought multiple Wiis). The actual fanboys are a tiny minority of Nintendo's audience, most of whom are now casuals who don't play very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

This PS4 Gaikai thing is a streaming service right? Would it be possible for MS to implement something similar at some point using this magical cloud they're always talking about?

zero19 wrote: »
    This PS4 Gaikai thing is a streaming service right? Would it be possible for MS to implement something similar at some point using this magical cloud they're always talking about?
    Sony have acquired the company so I highly doubt it now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

gizmo wrote: »

Wouldnt shock me if they were working on something similar. Or they could buy OnLive :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

gizmo wrote: »
    Oh I know Gaikai itself wouldn't be on XB1 but a similar service run by MS would surely be possible no? Come to think of it I don't think I'd even use it anyway...

Oh I know Gaikai itself wouldn't be on XB1 but a similar service run by MS would surely be possible no? Come to think of it I don't think I'd even use it anyway...

There's absolutely nothing stopping them, technically speaking at least. It's a massive investment in terms of building both the technology and infrastructure behind it though so I kind of doubt it's a path MS would consider going down in the immediate future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

mental 3 out of 4 people saying ps4 was their choice, wonder would a poll today show much change in opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

People are really hungry for next gen gaming so. Good news, for both camps.

I really really want forza 5 now too. :( I am still going to get ps4 first, but looks like as soon as I fully pay out ps4 I will start getting funds together for Xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Silly Question....

where do the discs go on the ps4 :pac:

Also I have to say of any console launches I have been interested in the line up of launch titles has to be the best even if they are mainly multi platforms/ old gen-new gen cross overs

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Silly Question....

Also I have to say of any console launches I have been interested in the line up of launch titles has to be the best even if they are mainly multi platforms/ old gen-new gen cross overs

its a disc-less system...comes with all games pre-installed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Than the xbox one but 80 dearer than the ps4 everywhere else:eek:

Someone with a littlewoods account shoud review it and let people know not to buy it there thats a rip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Silly Question....

front-view-ps4.jpg

You should be able to see the gap for the disc in the middle beside the USB ports.

• Advertisement

more official accesories here, i assume everything for sale on launch day.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories?xr=shellnav

Xbox-One-Headset-610x610.jpg
    :rolleyes:

People are really hungry for next gen gaming so. Good news, for both camps.

I really really want forza 5 now too. :( I am still going to get ps4 first, but looks like as soon as I fully pay out ps4 I will start getting funds together for Xbox one.

The numbers seem weird, maybe i did the math wrong.....but thats 3.6 million units in 24 hours :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Are people using the word Xbone to mock the Xbox One? Or is it genuine shorter name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Are people using the word Xbone to mock the Xbox One? Or is it genuine shorter name?
    I think it's a dumb short hand, though its usage could very well be legitimate. Yes, people use it to mock, but MS themselves had it on the walls or something of the reveal of the console itself.

Edit: I seem to remember them doing so anyway. I just went to the vid on youtube, and tried scanning through it to see where the Xbone was at the reveal, and I'm not seeing it. I'll check again later on, and will update if I find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Than the xbox one but 80 dearer than the ps4 everywhere else:eek:

Someone with a littlewoods account shoud review it and let people know not to buy it there thats a rip

Littlewoods also have the PS4 + FIFA 14 bundle at €579, so that's €100 for FIFA 14?

Also, Xbox One is €599 there, and staggeringly, the Xbox One controller is €135.

Avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

For those that are going to miss not having to manually change your discs now in the XB1 every time you change game maybe you should look into a next gen version of this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Save 50 blips a week from now untill November
    you'll have a grand
    both consoles one game or accessory
    tuff tuff decision
    am I mad I just want the best of both worlds as a gamer I couldn't care less about the interface or ability of either consoles
    I just want the exclusives
    and depending on Friends I meet on either console thats what's going to sway me to use one console more than the other ..
    to be honest I've deleted most friends of the old consoles bar a few that I actually play with and talk to on a regular basis.

Remember the respect a host would have in his lobby because they had a Savage connection and able to host full rooms with grenades on .
    Now most people have good connections or else they play on the games servers
    no respect kids and loud mouths it just went down hill .

I'm showing my age but it's true
    Rant over
    save money lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I think it's a dumb short hand, though its usage could very well be legitimate. Yes, people use it to mock, but MS themselves had it on the walls or something of the reveal of the console itself.

im not doing it to mock the console im doing it because imo its the best abbreviation for it. ive spent the last 7 years calling the original xbox xb1 (Im not calling xbox prime which is what MS call it)

tbh it seems to me that they didnt do any research on the naming other than the All in One idea they are going for they didnt look at what it would be called. it cropped up here after a few minutes of it being named

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

NTMK wrote: »
    im not doing it to mock the console im doing it because imo its the best abbreviation for it. ive spent the last 7 years calling the original xbox xb1 (Im not calling xbox prime which is what MS call it)

tbh it seems to me that they didnt do any research on the naming other than the All in One idea they are going for they didnt look at what it would be called. it cropped up here after a few minutes of it being named

I shall be doing everything in my power to try to drill XBO into the minds of the gaming public in my part of the world to at least partially prevent the continuation of this Xbone nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I would imagine MS wanting to bring in a similar service. I've seen a good few people say they'd want something like Netflix for videogames on their next-gen consoles and really, that's what it is. The main reason I think it's a good idea is the backward compatibility. With the processing done at Gaikai's side, it means anyone can play any previous-gen game, any time. It keeps games alive for future generations in a way emulation can't which I think is just important for the medium.
    COYVB wrote: »
    I shall be doing everything in my power to try to drill XBO into the minds of the gaming public in my part of the world to at least partially prevent the continuation of this Xbone nonsense

I tend to use XBO too. I thought we were switching to X180 now though? :p

Advertisement