Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Unearthly

A Netflix version of games would be amazing. Hopefully it arrives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I use Xbone because its official name is Xbox One (purposely using One rather than the number 1 to differentiate it from the actual original Xbox and because it's designed to be an all in one system in terms of media and games), so Xbone is a logical portmanteau to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Placed another 100eu on ps4 and 20 eu on controller, killzone, knack. So 220eu in total payed out.
    So if I pay out in total 600eu for everything, then I will place order for Xbox one and start paying out that one too. Though all I will need is forza 5 and xbl sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Placed another 100eu on ps4 and 20 eu on controller, killzone, knack. So 220eu in total payed out.
    So if I pay out in total 600eu for everything, then I will place order for Xbox one and start paying out that one too. Though all I will need is forza 5 and xbl sub.

where did you pre order?
    are you buying a second joypad? :L cause 600 seems alot for 2 games and a console considering its only 399
    how much is a joypad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    where did you pre order?
    are you buying a second joypad? :L cause 600 seems alot for 2 games and a console considering its only 399
    how much is a joypad :)

399 + €140 (2 games) + €60 for second controller = €600

**** adds up quickly

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Penn wrote: »
    I use Xbone because its official name is Xbox One (purposely using One rather than the number 1 to differentiate it from the actual original Xbox and because it's designed to be an all in one system in terms of media and games), so Xbone is a logical portmanteau to use.

I had to look it up.... :o

NTMK wrote: »

**** adds up quickly

Aye....i'll buy the new Eye on launch night, then off to Gamestop with my credit note and get two games, BF4 and summit else. You'd have no problem splashing down 600 notes on the night.....

.....and its not even Xmas :(

**** adds up quickly

Indeed. No matter what way you look at it, you will have to have at least 600eu for ps4 on launch. That's not including ps+ sub too.
    Xbox will be more then that too. Next gen pleasure is not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I am thankfully signed up to PS+ until some time in 2015 so don't need to worry about that.

I don't think I'll bother with a 2nd controller either. So I'll probably just go for two games, thinking Watch_Dogs and Killzone at the moment. Then will have DriveClub from PS+ and hopefully Planetside 2 is available at launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Penn wrote: »
    so Xbone is a logical portmanteau to use.

It's only logical if you pronounce it "ex-bwun"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Will a PS3 controller work with PS4 as a back up for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Indeed. No matter what way you look at it, you will have to have at least 600eu for ps4 on launch. That's not including ps+ sub too.
    Xbox will be more then that too. Next gen pleasure is not cheap.

You could always just get the barebones + psn because i think you've got that driveclub, blacklight:retribution, Planetside 2, Warframe and probably a few more f2p games through PSN (Tho if you have a PC i guess they're not as appealing.. but for console only gamers that should keep them busy for a while anyway !).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Will a PS3 controller work with PS4 as a back up for a while?

No, Move controller works but not the Six-axis or Dualshock 3.

Magill wrote: »
    You could always just get the barebones + psn because i think you've got that driveclub, blacklight:retribution, Planetside 2, Warframe and probably a few more f2p games through PSN (Tho if you have a PC i guess they're not as appealing.. but for console only gamers that should keep them busy for a while anyway !).

Well I got PC and I have played all of those titles already. warframe and Blacklight should be fun on PS3. I just really hope we will get proper pimped out dust514 for ps4. I love EVE world, but Dust looks tragic on ps3.
    I am not getting any multiplatform releases on ps4 as all of them will be going on PC for twice cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Unearthly wrote: »
    A Netflix version of games would be amazing. Hopefully it arrives

The real question is when it comes to us. The Americans tend to get all these great services and then keep them to themselves for a long time. Netflix was around for years before we got it, Spotify was around a good while too. We still don't have Pandora or Hulu. Hopefully though, since Gaikai is completely owned by Sony, cost them a fairly large chunk of money, will only play games they already have and is a big selling point of PS4, it won't take too long for it to arrive. My estimate would be 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

**** adds up quickly

No way I'm paying 70 euro for a game so I'll wait a few months if they're that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

tok9 wrote: »
    No way I'm paying 70 euro for a game so I'll wait a few months if they're that price.

where did €70 come from for a game?
    http://kotaku.com/5986208/if-ps4-games-only-cost-60-theyre-actually-cheaper-than-ps3-games
    http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/sony-follows-xbox-one-s-lead-by-promising-ps4-games-at-ps3-prices-1159819
    until its officially announced believe nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

cadete wrote: »
    where did €70 come from for a game? until its officially announced believe nothing

previous gen games were €69.99 a game
    gen before that they were £60 iirc

publishers will milk the early adopters to cover the cost of developing on 5 platforms

Edit: only saw your edit there, im hopefully wrong but based on past experience 65-70 is plausible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I'm on my phone so I'm not bothered to post links, but I'm pretty sure games on both consoles are going for 59.99 still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

$59.99 for next gen games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'll just get both.

€60 as a starting price really isn't too bad for launch time, especially when you include inflation like the article does. The Last of Us was the only game in 5 year that I've paid as much as €50 for (including special editions) but this is only a small step up from that, especially when you consider a lot of console bundles will include them for effectively less.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

It's a known pricing strategy called price skimming, they'll charge the people who they know will pay through the teeth to get as much money out of them as possible, before later lowering the price to get everyone else's money!

I'm going to give it a miss for about a year at least.

I was just making the point that if I was to get the ps4 with 2 games I wouldn't be paying over 500 euro for it. I'd imagine there will be a bundle like that for it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

tok9 wrote: »
    I was just making the point that if I was to get the ps4 with 2 games I wouldn't be paying over 500 euro for it. I'd imagine there will be a bundle like that for it

You've nocontrol over what you get in a bundle and it's a good way for retailers to offload crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just get a PS4 with a PS+ subscription :pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You've nocontrol over what you get in a bundle and it's a good way for retailers to offload crap.

Oh I know.. I'm more than likely going to get a PS4 at or close to launch.

I'll definitely pick up BF4 and more than likely Watchdogs. If I can't get that for 500 euro (or 440ish pound for me now) then I'll be waiting a little bit I think.

Keggers2 wrote: »
    It's a known pricing strategy called price skimming, they'll charge the people who they know will pay through the teeth to get as much money out of them as possible, before later lowering the price to get everyone else's money!

I'm going to give it a miss for about a year at least.

They have to pay the developers who make launch titles too. There's a relatively tiny customer base (at best a few million compared to about 80 million on 360 and PS3) that they're selling to in the first Christmas so they need some way of make the money back. By the time most people get their new consoles, launch titles will inevitably have dropped in price a lot so they need to justify the expense of making next-gen titles early.

Also as I said before, at €60 the prices aren't that bad. I know a lot of people who pay that for FIFA or COD every year anyway.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Yeah but they usually throw in the bigger games anyway. If one retailer is bundling "Shovelware 4" and another gives you "Massive AAA Launch Title" then the latter will get more business. Expect to see stuff like Killzone, Watchdogs and Battlefield bundled in consoles a lot. When I got my Wii it came bundled with Zelda Twilight Princess and my PS3 came bundled with Heavy Rain and Ratchet and Clank (and this was when Heavy Rain was sold out everywhere, even the Gamestop I got the PS3 in only had one left because I had reserved it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

2 weeks ago I was PS4 now I'm undecided. Might still go PS4 initially.

Advertisement