Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Pretty though one for me, maybe some of you could help me decide??...

At the moment, i'm more inlcided to go with XBOX One over PS4 :o

Originally, I actually prefered the PS2 to Xbox

but

I prefered the Xbox 360 to the PS3 (probably because the 360 was released ahead of the PS3, and a lot of friends seemed to be getting it at the time - and in the meantime I guess I've just gotten used to the 360)

I initially had a PS4 preordered but changed it to an XBOX ONE, but now im not sure whether that was a mistake and if i should change my preorder back to PS4?...

Honestly, I think I'd prefer the XBOX ONE - pureley because I think LIVE is a better online service to PSN and the the XBOX controller will be superior to the PS4's ... and at the end of the day, thats how I play my games - online and holding the controller in my hand :D

The €100 price difference doesnt really make a huge difference to me - neither did the whole online/DRM issue but now that they've gone back on it, it seems to have levelled the playing field even futher.

Althought both consoles have their pro's and con's - my main concern is that the vast majority of people seem to be going with the PS4 and that the PS4 will actually offer a more active online community?

Im not a "fanboy" of either, but since I alredy have a LIVE account and am familiar with XBOX and it has a better controller i'd be more comfortable with the ONE but I could be swayed to the PS4 if thats what the VAST Majority of people are going with ... I dont want to end up with a "Xbox Dreamcast" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

ION08 wrote: »
    Honestly, I think I'd prefer the XBOX ONE - pureley because I think LIVE is a better online service to PSN and the the XBOX controller will be superior to the PS4's ... and at the end of the day, thats how I play my games - online and holding the controller in my hand :D

Althought both consoles have their pro's and con's - my main concern is that the vast majority of people seem to be going with the PS4 and that the PS4 will actually offer a more active online community?

Both the XB1 and PS4 controllers are new. The XB1 stays similar to the 360, while the PS4 controller has bulked up for people outside Japan :D

Expect the PSN service to improve with more people using PSPlus.

I'd say the Xbox will still have a massive community, but if you wanna know how many of your friends will be on either, ask around. I'm going with PS4, but if all my mates were going with the XB1, I'd have to rethink that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Think I said earlier in the thread (or could've been in another) I've heard a couple of journalists saying they actually prefer the PS4 controller now to the Xbox one, but there's not much in it. Just listening to a podcast there earlier from E3 and everyone was saying it's great that controllers are no longer an issue, that both controllers are great with the One's improved Dpad and trigger rumble and the overall improvements to the PS4 controller.

Can't wait to get my hands on the PS4 controller. There are so many possibilities with that touchpad, for RPG games, especially. I'd love if they used it for taking accurate shots on goal in Fifa, like the Vita does.

Not just wiping off some old dirt on a picture in Uncharted 4 or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Yeah, honestly to me, I'll need to see how the PS4 controller looks. I know from the 360 that the One will be a winner in that way. I know lots of people who I play with online who will be moving on to the One, so that's another thing towards the One.

Though, aside from these things the central thing of the games. That's where you really need to be thinking. I don't know what types of games you play. Me? I'm mostly a single player gamer, so knowing people to play with online while handy isn't the be all and end all.

I'd probably say not to buy next gen at launch. Hold out a bit unless you know there are games you really feel you must play at launch. To me, this isn't the case. The best games to me are ones I can not only play on either system, but I could also get on my PS3 or 360 if I wanted. Namely, Assassin's Creed IV and Watch Dogs.

Are you going to be going only one system? I'm figuring I'll end up with all 3 during the lifecycle as the three are going to have exclusives that will justify owning all three consoles. This is a very long post I'm making, but the short of it is that you just need to look at what games you'll want and get a system on that basis. Nothing groundbreaking there, but that's pretty much all there is to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

The PS4 controller seems to have been getting rave reviews from journalists so far, seems to be a large upgrade compared to the PS3 controller. It's also a good bit bigger than the PS3 controller I think. Photo of the two new controllers side-by-side:

uP4KpSg.jpg

The XB1 controller looks like a nod to the old Xbox controllers.

820253-original_controller.jpg

They revised THAT controller soon after, thankfully. I'd say the new one will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

i must admit the xboxone joypad their looks alot bulkier (if thats even a word) then the 360 joypad
    the joypad im using now for my 360 which is a silver chrome joypad , my hand wraps around it perfectly and the grip parts or handle parts on each side seem long enough for my fingers to hold onto at the back
    but this xbone joypad looks as if my fingers would be caught at the back reducing my grip :P god that is hard to explain

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mudlan

danthefan wrote: »
    The PS4 controller seems to have been getting rave reviews from journalists so far, seems to be a large upgrade compared to the PS3 controller. It's also a good bit bigger than the PS3 controller I think.

Ya it will be very interesting to see what its like....especially since most xbox friends hate playing with the ps controller. It does feel quite light and cheap in comparison but hopefully the PS4 controller will be different. Looks that way anyway. Either way ill prob be sticking with the PS no matter what.....and if it really bothers you you can always get an adapter for the Xbox controller to work on a ps!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Grayditch wrote: »
    Can't wait to get my hands on the PS4 controller. There are so many possibilities with that touchpad, for RPG games, especially. I'd love if they used it for taking accurate shots on goal in Fifa, like the Vita does.

Not just wiping off some old dirt on a picture in Uncharted 4 or something...

The only thing i would like added is what MS did....add rumble/gyros to the front trigger buttons...that was a great idea from MS i'd like to see Sony implement in a future revision.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'm mostly a single player gamer.

Same here...not a fan of multiplayer, i always get killed. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So weird not to see any kind of Start buton on both controllers. Specially on PS4 one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Looking at the controllers, Sony have a lot of options with that touch pad. It's an unknown though like Kinect 2.0 is, could go either way. Doesn't look like it'll be a huge issue either way.

Is there anything on Sony's Eye? (Kinect like thing) Not heard anything on it.

The two are so close and they both offer similar things so it really comes down to exclusives far more than it did before. See myself edging over to the PS4, a little disappointing to be leaving the Xbox after all these years but excited to return to Playstation. Felt like I was missing out on a lot of games on PS3 this gen.

The PS3 finished so strongly for gamers, I'm looking forward to all the juicy exclusives on the new machine. If Xbox come up with some great exclusives, then all the better for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

TheGunns wrote: »
    Felt like I was missing out on a lot of games on PS3 this gen.

couldnt agree more

i had a ps3 at launch as well as an xbox360
    although ps3 for the first year was horrible, their online servers were ****e, their exclusives werent close to the xbox360 IMO, only thing decent was the free online gaming

so eventually when my ps3 died, i stuck with the xbox since then, never looked back, until ps+ was introduced, only thing i like about sony now is the ps+, all the free games, discounts, its insane
    where as with xbox i was getting nothing off them, until now, they decide to give 2 free games away a month until release of xboxone
    their way to late on that,
    and still i find myself pre ordering the xboxone mainly for exclusive reasons, i prefer xbox exclusives, but i know il regret not getting a ps4 as well, cant get both this time, as their out of my budget, just wish xboxlive did the same thing as sony+ maybe then more gamers would respect microsoft, because at the moment alot of people hate them :L

i still like them, im not brand loyal, im a gamer, just xboxone has the games i want most
    but im looking forward to seeing what the 30exclusives are to ps over the next year

Grayditch wrote: »
    The PS3 finished so strongly for gamers, I'm looking forward to all the juicy exclusives on the new machine. If Xbox come up with some great exclusives, then all the better for gaming.

The PS3 is FAR from dead!.....some superb titles upcoming incl. GTA V and Arkham Origins. In fact we'll see next gen and current gen games released for all consoles for at least two more years!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416002/interviews/interview-eas-patrick-sderlund/

So loads of life left in the old dog yet... ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The PS# is FAR from dead!.....some superb titles upcoming uncl. GTA V and Arkham Origins. In fact we'll see next gen and current gen games released for all consoles for at least two more years!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416002/interviews/interview-eas-patrick-sderlund/

So loads of life left in the old dog yet... ;):)

Dont forget Diablo 3! Will probably end up being better than than the PC version :P

For PS3, I'll be looking to Tales of Xillia and Beyond Two Souls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I think LIVE is a better online service to PSN

I think that will stop being the case next generation. Now that Sony have a bit more cash with subscriptions as well as stuff like cross-game voice chat I doubt there will really be any difference at all. The free PS+ games would put it a bit ahead imo.
    Mudlan wrote: »
    Ya it will be very interesting to see what its like....especially since most xbox friends hate playing with the ps controller. It does feel quite light and cheap in comparison

I found the early Sixaxis controllers to be pretty awful as you say (they felt too light and unbalanced) but when they switched to Dualshock 3 the problem was gone. I have a 360 controller for PC gaming and I can't really notice much difference in the weight at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

C14N wrote: »
    I think that will stop being the case next generation. Now that Sony have a bit more cash with subscriptions as well as stuff like cross-game voice chat I doubt there will really be any difference at all. The free PS+ games would put it a bit ahead imo.

Xbox live is getting free games too. Not sure of the amount or frequency will match up with ps+.

• Advertisement

Xbox live is getting free games too. Not sure of the amount or frequency will match up with ps+.
    So far, that is only confirmed for the 360 up until December, I think. Now, they very well may continue that on with the One, but as yet, that hasn't been confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I thought it was just 360. Although it hasn't been well received so far. The two games they decided to show off were Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 so I wouldn't expect there'll be much better until we get more details.

There's Fable 3 this month. I downloaded it, but I don't know I'll bother playing it. I was really let down by the first, got 2 as a gift but wasn't really a fan of it. I hear from lots of people that 3 is the weakest of the series which is kinda ghastly for me to consider.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pushtrak wrote: »
    There's Fable 3 this month. I downloaded it, but I don't know I'll bother playing it. I was really let down by the first, got 2 as a gift but wasn't really a fan of it. I hear from lots of people that 3 is the weakest of the series which is kinda ghastly for me to consider.

I played a bit of it on the PC and I thought it was ****e.

I had a hard time convincing myself Fable 3 was worth continuing. So many wasted ideas and opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

As a Fable fan all I can say is 3 is muck. MS really needs to bring out decent games for this monthly freebie thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    couldnt agree more

i had a ps3 at launch as well as an xbox360
    although ps3 for the first year was horrible, their online servers were ****e, their exclusives werent close to the xbox360 IMO, only thing decent was the free online gaming

so eventually when my ps3 died, i stuck with the xbox since then, never looked back, until ps+ was introduced, only thing i like about sony now is the ps+, all the free games, discounts, its insane
    where as with xbox i was getting nothing off them, until now, they decide to give 2 free games away a month until release of xboxone
    their way to late on that,
    and still i find myself pre ordering the xboxone mainly for exclusive reasons, i prefer xbox exclusives, but i know il regret not getting a ps4 as well, cant get both this time, as their out of my budget, just wish xboxlive did the same thing as sony+ maybe then more gamers would respect microsoft, because at the moment alot of people hate them :L

i still like them, im not brand loyal, im a gamer, just xboxone has the games i want most
    but im looking forward to seeing what the 30exclusives are to ps over the next year
    You did the opposite to me then. I got into the PS3 in 2010, which was late enough, but the PS3 seriously took off big time from 2009 onwards, whereas I felt the 360 fell off a cliff given how good it was at the start. It was all kinect and annual Halo and it left a bad taste in my mouth with the xbox and I still feel this is still their primary direction.

I think you left the PS3 before it really came into it's own and that was only in the last few years, and at least where the games are concerned it destroyed the xbox, for me anyway.

-This is coming from someone who had a 360 pretty much since it came out and really, really enjoyed it... that is until their casual focus and lack of new, varied exclusives kicked in.

It's all preference at the end of the day, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

I can't understand why anyone would prefer the xbox controllers to the ps ones after using both. The 360 is the worst for trying to be delicate especially in the fps games I couldn't even use some of the same guns because instead of one shot I'd get two which is a bit of a disaster. The responsiveness of the ps controllers was perfect just a slight tap and it responds not hammering in the buttons. The xbox 360 was slightly more comfortable in the hand alright but was clunky as hell and if dropped once was inclined to fall apart unlike the ps controllers which survived constant fifa and demon souls playing. As far as this build quality of this generation goes everyone I know who got a 360 had to have it replaced at least once. I know of one person who had to get their ps3 replaced. The ps3s were built to last the 360s weren't until very late on, I expect microsoft to continue with the policy of poor quality build (hopefully not).

Anyway enough of old generation, I'm sure I've annoyed more than a few peopl :D. What they need to do is start introducing more input options things like heartbeat sensors, light settings(was used for a vampire game by nintendo it was awesome / could use time of day), voice etc to tailor the gameas. They've pushed the physical controllers as far as they can go IMO and form the looks of things are pretty unimaginative... the controllers will be more or less the same and if one wins out you can be sure that their competitor is going to just copy it.

I'm seriously considering getting neither and saving my money for a proper gaming pc. I'll wait and see how good the exclusives are first and see if they actually make use of the power of the new consoles... my guess is they won't for some time and there sin't anything on the table to make me rush in to buying one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

MOC88 wrote: »
    I can't understand why anyone would prefer the xbox controllers to the ps ones after using both. The 360 is the worst for trying to be delicate especially in the fps games I couldn't even use some of the same guns because instead of one shot I'd get two which is a bit of a disaster. The responsiveness of the ps controllers was perfect just a slight tap and it responds not hammering in the buttons. The xbox 360 was slightly more comfortable in the hand alright but was clunky as hell and if dropped once was inclined to fall apart unlike the ps controllers which survived constant fifa and demon souls playing. As far as this build quality of this generation goes everyone I know who got a 360 had to have it replaced at least once. I know of one person who had to get their ps3 replaced. The ps3s were built to last the 360s weren't until very late on, I expect microsoft to continue with the policy of poor quality build (hopefully not).

Anyway enough of old generation, I'm sure I've annoyed more than a few peopl :D. What they need to do is start introducing more input options things like heartbeat sensors, light settings(was used for a vampire game by nintendo it was awesome / could use time of day), voice etc to tailor the gameas. They've pushed the physical controllers as far as they can go IMO and form the looks of things are pretty unimaginative... the controllers will be more or less the same and if one wins out you can be sure that their competitor is going to just copy it.

I'm seriously considering getting neither and saving my money for a proper gaming pc. I'll wait and see how good the exclusives are first and see if they actually make use of the power of the new consoles... my guess is they won't for some time and there sin't anything on the table to make me rush in to buying one either.

Out of the people I know that have an Xbox, I'm the only one that had an RROD. Out of the people I know that have a PS3, very few actively play theirs. YMMV.

The controllers? I can't hack the PS3 controllers at all. I find them too damn sensitive, small, and awkward. I thought I loved them on the PS2, but when I switched to 360, the controller just melted into my hand.

Do I want light sensor/beat monitor sensors to control the console? Do I ****. The same way I don't want voice recognition.

But I do agree, I'll wait for a while to see what the PS4 exclusives throw up, but M$ will have to do more than go back on draconian DRM to win me back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Most people I know with an early PS3 have had to replace theirs. I had to replace mine.

I agree about the PS3 controller. Never understood how people can like the 360's pad. Its ghastly.

Advertisement