Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd take the 360 pad over the PS3 anyway. I've always found the Dualshock to be tiny in my hands, and uncomfortable holding the trigger buttons.

Looks like the Dualshock 4 is bigger though, so i might prefer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Controllers is definitely one of the things thats keeping a small bit of me wanting an xbone, just cant stand the ps3 controllers and the 360s just fit my hands perfectly. However i have heard the PS4s are pretty damn good so will have to try and test both before i make a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Why are people basing their opinion of the PS4 controller on the older PS3?:confused:

The comparison picture on page 147 clearly shows the PS4 controller has bulked up considerably. It shouldn't be a worrying factor based on current reviews either. Apples and oranges.

When I can afford it, I'll be definitely moving over to Playstation 4 - Microsoft have messed up in my opinion. It's probably been covered already, but what will online gaming be like on it? Will you need to purchase a subscription like with the 360?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

When I can afford it, I'll be definitely moving over to Playstation 4 - Microsoft have messed up in my opinion. It's probably been covered already, but what will online gaming be like on it? Will you need to purchase a subscription like with the 360?

both need an online sub now (PS4 i believe allows for F2P games to be played without sub)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Yup.

Inevitable, really.

But the PS4 definitely won't need a constant online connection, right?

you dont need it for either now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Neither will anymore.
    Also worth noting with the PS+ subscription on PS4 you will get tons of free big games.

• Advertisement

NTMK wrote: »
    you dont need it for either now

Oh so those memes that popped up of Microsoft taking away the always-on connection were somewhat true? I just assumed they were a pisstake!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Unfortunately you will need to buy PS+, but it's not required for free-to-play games like Planetside 2, for example.

Although I don't like paying for online, this time PS+ is still fantastic value for money and it's well worth it. You get Driveclub and a choice of 1 of 3 games when you first sign up and you get 1 month free PS+ when you first get your PS4 anyway, so that's handy as it gives you a month to find the money for online if you're cleaned out by it all.

PSN will be dramatically improved and include loads of social features like cross game chat, so there won't be any difference between Live and PSN anymore. If Facebook integration is your thing, that's all implemented in the PS4 too with real-life friends names showing up and special friends lists if you choose to activate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Oh so those memes that popped up of Microsoft taking away the always-on connection were somewhat true? I just assumed they were a pisstake!

They were true. MS sh!t themselves from pre-orders most likely and backtracked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Completely ignores the awesome power of the cloud that microsoft will harness.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Bambi wrote: »
    I hope you're joking :p

The cloud is vastly overrated for what Microsoft claim, but Sony have said they can to the same, though they're slightly more realistic in what they expect and are being more low key.
    Shuhei Yoshida has said that the PlayStation 4 – much like the Xbox One – can use the power of cloud computing as and when it’s needed.

But whilst the cloud has been a major part of Microsoft’s current marketing, Sony have been rather low key on the whole thing.

The Sony boss said that PlayStation 4 developers are free to take advantage of the ability to do tough computational tasks in vast server farms, although appears to be more realistic in what that could mean for gamers.

“Linking, matchmaking,” he said in a recent interview during E3, “there are already many computations being done on the cloud side.”

“We don’t believe every title needs that,” he said, referring to games requiring assistance from cloud networking, “but if your title needs [an] online connection to provide some online features: go for it.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Both PS4 and XBOX ONE will required paid online subscriptions.

Neither of the consoles require a constant internet connection, so they are both level on those fronts.

So where do you stand now regarding your decisionseeing as your reasons to move to PS4 are pretty much redundant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

All the free games on PS Plus, though. ALL THEM GAMES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    I hope you're joking :p

The cloud is vastly overrated for what Microsoft claim, but Sony have said they can to the same, though they're slightly more realistic in what they expect and are being more low key.

Yeah, I'm pretty cyncial about central processing for gaming. It might have some benefits but MS have overegged the pudding I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Yeah, I'm pretty cyncial about central processing for gaming. It might have some benefits but MS have overegged the pudding[b/] I think

you're on a [ham] roll today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

ION08 wrote: »
    So where do you stand now regarding your decisionseeing as your reasons to move to PS4 are pretty much redundant?

I can't speak for boney, but I can certainly think of a handful more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You NEVER needed always on Internet. Never. Once a day was enough, for a few seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Why are people basing their opinion of the PS4 controller on the older PS3?:confused:

The comparison picture on page 147 clearly shows the PS4 controller has bulked up considerably. It shouldn't be a worrying factor based on current reviews either. Apples and oranges.
    That's true, though I'm wondering nearly how people who currently like the controller will find the DS4 as how those of us who prefer the 360 controller will find the DS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭barry181091

Its very simple in my eyes. 100 euro more for a console that is less powerful. The camera really doesn't interest me, just from their track record with the original Kinect.

Sony's marketing has caught me (And a lot of people) when it comes to the PS4, it feels like the PS2 days again.

I just want most people on one console. Purely for the fact that I don't want half my friends on one and half on the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

You NEVER needed always on Internet. Never. Once a day was enough, for a few seconds.

Once a day is just as bad as always online.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    That's true, though I'm wondering nearly how people who currently like the controller will find the DS4 as how those of us who prefer the 360 controller will find the DS4.

by the looks of it they did very well with it. the people that liked the older controller will still be happy as it appears the only thing thats changed for them is the analogs are further apart from each other

for people from the xbox side (myself included) they've extended the hand rest, reduced the chance of my thumbs hitting off each other, and fixed the triggers.

I still have resevations about the symetrical design as i do prefer the L analog in the XB position beacuse it means my hands are in symetrical positions when playing most games

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mudlan

Its very simple in my eyes. 100 euro more for a console that is less powerful. The camera really doesn't interest me, just from their track record with the original Kinect.

Sony's marketing has caught me (And a lot of people) when it comes to the PS4, it feels like the PS2 days again.

I just want most people on one console. Purely for the fact that I don't want half my friends on one and half on the other.

Ya that or somehow allow for cross platform gaming. Though that will never happen either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭barry181091

Mudlan wrote: »
    Ya that or somehow allow for cross platform gaming. Though that will never happen either!

No that will not happen. There is no incentive for companies to do that. There would be very little in terms of actual competition then! :p

Funny thing is: Technically, it would be quite easy to implement alas! :o

No that will not happen. There is no incentive for companies to do that. There would be very little in terms of actual competition then! :p

Funny thing is: Technically, it would be quite easy to implement alas! :o

its been tried with pc before and it failed in FPS

valve thought about it for CS:GO but that wouldnt have gone down well :pac:

MS/Sony wont allow it with each other as they know that what your friends have is a selling point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I'm not totally sure about this, but I'm pretty sure that there's a company manufacturing a controller similar to the xbox one for the PS4. Was just a licenced product from someone else.

Will try find it now, saw pictures/video of it from e3

Advertisement