Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Even if it turns out I like the PS4 controller less than the PS3 one, it will be the games that primarily guide my purchase so I'd get one anyway. Same applies to the One if their controller is worse than I'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Its very simple in my eyes. 100 euro more for a console that is less powerful. The camera really doesn't interest me, just from their track record with the original Kinect.

Sony's marketing has caught me (And a lot of people) when it comes to the PS4, it feels like the PS2 days again.

I just want most people on one console. Purely for the fact that I don't want half my friends on one and half on the other.

I think we could sit here and talk about how the games and hardware will play a factor in determining who will choose one over the other, but when all's said and done, I think the €100 difference will play the biggest role for the majority of people (at least the general public anyway). With that advantage I'd say most people will go to PS4, especially with how poorly Microsoft has unveiled their system.

I definitely think it's going back to the PS2 days, which is great. Sure the PS4 even looks like a more modern PS2 ffs! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'll probably get both consoles, but I have to say I've enjoyed my PS3 far more than my 360. But that's probably just the way I use my console. I don't play a lot of online games, don't use LIVE or PSN very often, I tend to use my PS3 as a media device (stream over the network music and movies etc). Love the visualizer on the PS3 too!

There's an element of class to the PS3 gui too that the XBOX just doesn't have....

Also my XBOX constantly dies/red rings.

So yeah, I'll be buying the PS4 first, but with a view of buying the xbox 1 afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Pushtrak wrote: »
    That's true, though I'm wondering nearly how people who currently like the controller will find the DS4 as how those of us who prefer the 360 controller will find the DS4.

It will be interesting. I'm hoping that after the 'settling in period' the transition from the 360 controller to the DS4 will prove painless. It should become an extension of your brain as opposed to an obstacle to overcome.

Embarrassing Question: As a person with no experience of PS+, what do people mean by free games? Are they actual whole games or Tetris Uncut type of games? Do they disappear after a period and are replaced by others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Pac1Man wrote: »
    It will be interesting. I'm hoping that after the 'settling in period' the transition from the 360 controller to the DS4 will prove painless. It should become an extension of your brain as opposed to an obstacle to overcome.

Embarrassing Question: As a person with no experience of PS+, what do people mean by free games? Are they actual whole games or Tetris Uncut type of games? Do they disappear after a period and are replaced by others?

Free full games until your PS+ Subscription runs out.

• Advertisement

No, there's proper AAA retail games. Uncharted 3 was added on top of what we already got this month which was the ICO HD collection and Demon Souls. We got Hitman Absolution, among others last month with Battlefield 3 coming next months as well as other games too.
    You get loads of smaller indie games mixed in too which many can be surprisingly good.

When you join up you get an instant game collection of 10 games to the value of €200+ so it's worth your while just from the start.

You do not necessarily own these free games you get, once your PS+ sub ends they get locked out until you renew it, so you're renting them essentially. The way I see it though, I finish a game, play it thoroughly and I leave it there pretty much untouched so I get my use of it, even if I'm renting it.
    -But with the PS4 requiring PS+ though, I wouldn't worry as most likely you'll stay on top of renewing it so you'll always have access to your games.

*I'll also add that PS+ gives you discounts on other games and if you purchase these discounted games they are yours forever.

Overall it's a damn good deal in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Very good FAQ about PS+ here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Wow that sounds great! Almost too good to be true. Thanks for the information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wow that sounds great! Almost too good to be true. Thanks for the information.
    One of the few deals were it's also not a scam! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

This is all the games that were on PS+ for free last year:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1dmz2i/what_does_one_full_year_4050_of_playstation_plus/

Easily hundreds of $ worth of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Once a day is just as bad as always online.

It really isn't. In any house I'm in it seems fairly common that the broadband connection will sometimes just cut out for about 5-10 minutes before coming back online. Sometimes it can be gone for a few hours. An always-on connection would be much worse than a daily check-in for this.

Regarding controllers, am I the only one who really isn't bothered? I had a 360 controller since before I got a PS3 for PC gaming and it was perfectly fine. Then I bought a PS3 and never had any problem with those controllers. Honestly, both of the next gen ones look fine too. The only controller I ever had issues with was the original Xbox controller because I was a kid and it was literally too big for my hands.

C14N wrote: »
    It really isn't. In any house I'm in it seems fairly common that the broadband connection will sometimes just cut out for about 5-10 minutes before coming back online. Sometimes it can be gone for a few hours. An always-on connection would be much worse than a daily check-in for this.

A daily check-in would've been as intrusive as an always-on requirement as it turns your console into a tethered dog.
    We've had 5 years of Street Fighter tournaments that would've been impossible to hold if the machine needed an Internet connection to prove... whatever, simply because there's no guarantee that the machine had checked at home before transport.

Anyway, it's a moot point now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

C14N wrote: »
    The only controller I ever had issues with was the original Xbox controller because I was a kid and it was literally too big for my hands.
    I much preferred the smaller controller they came out with for the original xbox. Though, you know, I actually got a mad catz controller for the Xbox at one point, and preferred that. It was great for fighting games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/sony-sacrificed-the-playstation-4-camera-to-beat-microsoft-on-price

the numbers dont add up, if the console and camera cost 460 to buy separate....why was sony gonna charge 500 for them as a bundle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/sony-sacrificed-the-playstation-4-camera-to-beat-microsoft-on-price

the numbers dont add up, if the console and camera cost 460 to buy separate....why was sony gonna charge 500 for them as a bundle.

They were probably going to say the console cost 440$, and the camera 60$.
    Either way, I'm glad they're going this route. I don't want the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I might buy it later and as many multi-platform games will be built with kinect they'll likely have camera features in the PS4 versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Just comparing prices and deals on the gamestop website in Germany and they have a trade in section to get the new xbox1 or ps4

Ps4 €199 with your 500g ps3 and 3games
    €259 with your 12g ps3 and 3games
    €229 with your ps3 slim including 3 games

and so on including trading in xbox 360 slim
    wii u

to get the xbox 1 is similar trades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What worries me when I think of purchasing an Xbox One is who is making all these stupid decisions at Microsoft and why hasn't something been done about it?

Some person or group/team within Microsoft thought it would be a great idea that people would have to check in every 24 hours in order to access their game library. "Sure everybody has broadband now", "Once every 24 hours isn't much for a world that is 'always online'" etc. I can only imagine what they were thinking. I'm amazed that nobody has been sacked over this because whoever is making these decisions was leading Microsoft down a dangerous road and one which it would not be travelling down with the gaming community. The management of second hand games idea was completely absurd. It genuinely worries me that the people in charge of product innovation and development are still at the spine of the Xbox One team.

Let's make no mistake Microsoft knew a backlash was on it's way but they underestimated the extent and longevity of it. Lazy market research, lazy development and poor innovation has lead to last minute changes to the Xbox One. But above all the arrogance really gets to me. Surely someone within Microsoft was saying: "Hold on here for a minute, the PS4 isn't doing any of this $hit, why are we trying to force these crappy restrictions on gamers?". Maybe it's the culture within the company but they have lost my custom for the time being. I simply don't trust the people in charge of getting the Xbox One to launch and developing it into the future.

What worries me when I think of purchasing an Xbox One is who is making all these stupid decisions at Microsoft and why hasn't something been done about it?

Some person or group/team within Microsoft thought it would be a great idea that people would have to check in every 24 hours in order to access their game library. "Sure everybody has broadband now", "Once every 24 hours isn't much for a world that is 'always online'" etc. I can only imagine what they were thinking. I'm amazed that nobody has been sacked over this because whoever is making these decisions was leading Microsoft down a dangerous road and one which it would not be travelling down with the gaming community. The management of second hand games idea was completely absurd. It genuinely worries me that the people in charge of product innovation and development are still at the spine of the Xbox One team.

Let's make no mistake Microsoft knew a backlash was on it's way but they underestimated the extent and longevity of it. Lazy market research, lazy development and poor innovation has lead to last minute changes to the Xbox One. But above all the arrogance really gets to me. Surely someone within Microsoft was saying: "Hold on here for a minute, the PS4 isn't doing any of this $hit, why are we trying to force these crappy restrictions on gamers?". Maybe it's the culture within the company but they have lost my custom for the time being. I simply don't trust the people in charge of getting the Xbox One to launch and developing it into the future.

Do you remember the whole "Deal with it it" situation a few months back which lead to a Microsoft employee getting fired when people were giving out about leaked details from a dev kit that showed the system would lock up after 5 minutes if you disconnected from the Internet? Well his arrogant response was to move to an area with proper internet and to deal with it.

Given the uproar I'm guessing they changed that requirement to 24 hours thinking that'd sort it all out. I'm nearly positive it would have to need a constant online connection to work had nobody said anything, just like the whole DRM situation.

I'm actually not sure wtf they were playing at and tbh I still don't know, fairly certain that neither do they, really. I find it quite odd that people are praising them for reversing all the restrictions instead of scolding them for ever bringing them in in the first place.

Don't get me wrong it's a great sign for the industry and us as consumers that this didn't become mainstream, but they still wanted to fvck us over had they had their way and nobody caused an uproar. They'll have to do a lot more winning over to get me back in their camp again. Reversing DRM with no apology and only doing it because pre-orders were far lower than expected is not reason enough to let them off so easily, imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They didn't just decide to add the 24 hour check in for a laugh. Same with the new trade in policy. They were brought in as a result of disc based games now being tied to a live account. This has numerous benefits but means that DRM is needed. A check in is needed if you are going to allow games tied to an account to be traded in, otherwise someone could trade in a bunch of games and still play them indefinitely. And linked disc based games to a live account is needed for things like the family sharing and being able to just log in to any XBox and play your entire library.

I guess they thought that the benefits would out way the disadvantages of the DRM and that people would see it's a necessary evil. If they had got the news out there better than it probably people probably would have. Problem is the first thing any one heard about this is the DRM and not the features the DRM enables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Some person or group/team within Microsoft thought it would be a great idea that people would have to check in every 24 hours in order to access their game library. "Sure everybody has broadband now", "Once every 24 hours isn't much for a world that is 'always online'" etc. I can only imagine what they were thinking.

I'm fairly sure the conversation went something along these lines....
    Microsoft Executive Bill : "Steam brings in oodles of cash. How do they do it?!"

Microsoft Executive Dan: "Well, they have a closed system which means that every game that they sell has to be approved by them. And they take a large cut of every sale."

Bill : "That sounds brilliant! Let's move towards that! But how do we stop people buying games in shops instead of through us?"

Dan : "Step one is to eliminate second hand sales. We don't care about that but publishers do. If we make the console always online, then we guarantee that everyone has an internet connection. We can disable second hand games through the online check. The always on also helps virtually eliminate piracy which means more sales."

Bill : "So people won't be able to go into Gamestop and sell their games anymore?"

Dan : "Exactly. So the cheap games no longer exist. And when given the choice of spending 60 quid a new game from a store and 60 quid by downloading from your own home....."

Bill : "Genius! Instead of Gamestop getting a % of every sale of a new game......we get the cut instead! OMG OMG OMG OMG MONEY MONEY!!!!"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eh, plenty of places like amazon and even gamestop sell steam keys. Plus, lots of disc based games activate on steam. Also, Microsoft already take a cut of every game sale and people would still be able to trade in games.

There would also be plenty of reasons to buy from gamestop, some might prefer having a disc, some might not have a fast internet connection etc. Not to mention gamestop could be cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

So...which box looks the best?

31083_01_box_art_for_next_gen_xbox_one_and_ps4_has_been_released_full.jpg

31083_02_box_art_for_next_gen_xbox_one_and_ps4_has_been_released.jpg

^ hmmm....kinda going with the X1 art, its interesting that both consoles feature a split two tone finish, glossy and matte. The X1 box seems to follow the two tone approach throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Indeed. Some definite industrial espionage going on there. There are too many similarities for it to be a coincidence. I'd wager that each knew exactly what each console would look like before the reveal.

However the ps4 is much smaller and I think they tried to channel the form factor of the original Wii which the light gaming masses will be familiar with.

The Xbone box is as black as their soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What is the release date on both consoles (what the rumours say?)

Headshot wrote: »
    What is the release date on both consoles (what the rumours say?)

I have read elsewhere Nov 5th for the Xbone and Nov 13th for the PS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

So are we to assume that the PS4 will be available in a different colour?

On the box in the lower right corner it says "Black|500GB", which implies it will be available in a colour other than black. :confused:

ION08 wrote: »
    So are we to assume that the PS4 will be available in a different colour?

On the box in the lower right corner it says "Black|500GB", which implies it will be available in a colour other than black. :confused:

I saw some really nice mock-ups on NeoGaf with multi-coloured PS4s. TBH I think we may see various colours in a year or two and Sony are just covering themselves with the box listing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Eh, plenty of places like amazon and even gamestop sell steam keys. Plus, lots of disc based games activate on steam. Also, Microsoft already take a cut of every game sale and people would still be able to trade in games.

Indeed, Valve learned the hard way that you cannot try and stop other sites from selling Steam keys. Initially when it first started to happen Valve reacted by threatening to close the Steam account of anyone caught buying a Steam key from a third party site, but now Valve facilitate the process. It was just impossible to enforce and Valve recognized that it was something that customers were annoyed about.

Advertisement