Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ION08 wrote: »
    So are we to assume that the PS4 will be available in a different colour?

On the box in the lower right corner it says "Black|500GB", which implies it will be available in a colour other than black. :confused:

At a later date I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Kirby wrote: »
    Indeed. Some definite industrial espionage going on there. There are too many similarities for it to be a coincidence. I'd wager that each knew exactly what each console would look like before the reveal.

PS4 looks like a slightly bigger PS2 Slim. That was Sony's most popular console aesthetics wise so I'm guessing they took inspiration from that:

ps2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS4 looks like a slightly bigger PS2 Slim. That was Sony's most popular console aesthetics wise so I'm guessing they took inspiration from that:

According to who. I still think other than the PS2 it's one of the ugliest consoles ever made. The original playstation, now that's a gorgeous console.

I do like the PS4, even better is that it reminds me of 90's computer game geeks dream computer, the Sharp X86000

jupiter05.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Is there a poll anywhere to see what console people have decided to go with?

PS4? Xbox ONE? Undecided?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    According to who. I still think other than the PS2 it's one of the ugliest consoles ever made. The original playstation, now that's a gorgeous console.

I do like the PS4, even better is that it reminds me of 90's computer game geeks dream computer, the Sharp X86000

Thats just my understanding from reading around on forums. I don't have anything to back it up. You're the first person I've heard say anything bad about it.

I agree that the original PS2 is ugly, but I really like the PS2 slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

She may have been ugly but she had a great personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

ION08 wrote: »
    So are we to assume that the PS4 will be available in a different colour?

On the box in the lower right corner it says "Black|500GB", which implies it will be available in a colour other than black. :confused:

Are those official pictures though? They kind of look like fan-made ones so not necessarily anything to go by. If they are real, sometimes they just put the colour on there for the sake of it or maybe to differentiate it from certain special editions.

I would have said the PS1 was Sony's ugliest console of all. I guess that's how subjective aesthetics can be. I do think the PS4 is their nicest looking so far though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

YES!.....i am getting this! :D , if it sells for 500 it is a great deal!

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/26/picture-of-a-ps4-bundle-with-playstation-camera-and-knack-leaked/

New-PlayStation-4-Bundle-Leaks-Includes-PS4-Camera-and-Knack.jpg?1372322896

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I suppose you save 20 quid if you want Knack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    I suppose you save 20 quid if you want Knack.

Aye. I have preordered Knack, but I have no intention on getting the camera yoke. I would love to see game or controller bundles instead.

I doubt though we will see bundles like that on launch consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Best was PSone.
    psone.jpg
    So dinky!

Only beaten by the GameCube IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Best was PSone.
    psone.jpg
    So dinky!

Only beaten by the GameCube IMHO.

N64 all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I don't think that bundle with the camera and Knack is going to be available anywhere, they cut the camera from the bundle to bring the price down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

danthefan wrote: »
    I don't think that bundle with the camera and Knack is going to be available anywhere, they cut the camera from the bundle to bring the price down.

The idea with bundles is you can add peripherals/games and increase the price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

F1ngers wrote: »
    The idea with bundles is you can add peripherals/games and increase the price...

But I'm pretty sure that this was before the Camera was cut.

I doubt they'll price one at the same as the XB1 with a worse Kinect like thing, wouldn't seem like a very smart move when they're trying to distinguish the lower price compared to Xbox as a pretty big selling point. Would make more ignorant people aware of the price difference mainly being Kinect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I think people should have a read of this, one mans break up with his X-box....

http://www.cracked.com/blog/a-breakup-letter-to-xbox/

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

TheGunns wrote: »
    But I'm pretty sure that this was before the Camera was cut.

I doubt they'll price one at the same as the XB1 with a worse Kinect like thing, wouldn't seem like a very smart move when they're trying to distinguish the lower price compared to Xbox as a pretty big selling point. Would make more ignorant people aware of the price difference mainly being Kinect.

Who says the Eye is any worse than Kinect? It does come with a game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

C14N wrote: »
    Who says the Eye is any worse than Kinect? It does come with a game too.

I think the Kinect is superior in tech to the PS Eye given what we've seen what it can do, that said though, we haven't seen what the PS Eye can do either.

It could give it a decent run for it's money, who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I wonder what the uptake of the Eye will be like. The kinect sold pretty well for the 360 so we saw it supported in, for instance Skyrim and Mass Effect 3. If sales aren't as strong for the Eye, regardless of quality of tech motivation to support it will be proportional to interest. I think I saw that Swery is looking to support kinect with D4 as he likes it, and I think Kojima said he wanted to make MGS 5 for the One because he likes kinect.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I wonder what the uptake of the Eye will be like. The kinect sold pretty well for the 360 so we saw it supported in, for instance Skyrim and Mass Effect 3. If sales aren't as strong for the Eye, regardless of quality of tech motivation to support it will be proportional to interest. I think I saw that Swery is looking to support kinect with D4 as he likes it, and I think Kojima said he wanted to make MGS 5 for the One because he likes kinect.
    Tbh I've yet to see what these cameras being to the table. Kinect was poised to be some revolutionary gaming peripheral, yet it was far more gimmicky than anything else.

I don't see what the Eye or Kinect could do differently. Some voice commands and odd hand gestures is what seems to be the most they can do in proper games and even they aren't needed.

I'd prefer just to stick with the controller and let these fads die as they're only being used to attracted casual gamers.

• Advertisement

I've played Mass Effect 3 with voice commands for a couple of minutes. It was fun enough. though I guess I'd have to do a full playthrough to see if/how fast it got old. Course, I can definitely see it not being ideal if you have people in the same room/within hearing distance of you saying "Liara, Singularity" a lot. I didn't have that when I gave it a go in my brief try of it.

In terms of motion controls, I generally side against it. I hated playing Mario Kart on the Wii with the wheel. I turend off the Uncharted demo when it got to a bit where you use the Sixaxis and didn't really want to buy it because of that bit. I bought the first recently though and plan to play the lot of them. I turned off Killzone 2? (could easily have been 3, mind) at a point where there was a wheel you had to use the sixaxis to move.

I found the motion control in Okami was pretty good for the most part though. Except a few bits that were a bit of a headache. Thought they worked well enough in both Zelda games on the Wii. No real headaches in them to speak of. Kinect taking the form of waving your arms around isn't something that will interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Downlinz

For me personally the greatest deciding factor is always the games. Xbox has always catered almost exclusively to a particular kind of western only gamer and I've found anything there for me, Playstation tends to have a nice mix between western and japanese games and its tended to be the platform of choice for jrpgs.

Downlinz wrote: »
    For me personally the greatest deciding factor is always the games. Xbox has always catered almost exclusively to a particular kind of western only gamer and I've found anything there for me, Playstation tends to have a nice mix between western and japanese games and its tended to be the platform of choice for jrpgs.
    The PS3 did cater for me with JRPGs, but so did the 360. Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia, for example. I wasn't so keen on Blue Dragon. Infinite Undiscovery wasn't great, but it was good. I had fun with it, though it has dated badly. Eternal Sonata came to both, so not really a win for either.

I loved Ni No Kuni on the PS3. Tales of Graces F is good enough, though not as good as Vesperia. Haven't started Valkyria Chronicles yet. Looking forward to Tales of Xillia. I'm catered for with JRPGs with either. Or all 3 if you look to the Wii. Xenoblade Chronicles is great. Pandora's Tower I started recently. Wasn't impressed with The Last Story.

Edit: While the 360 did a lot for me with JRPG this gen, I will admit worry about if this will be true in terms of next gen. I wonder how many JRPGs will see a release on the 360. And I mean other than Final Fantasy. I haven't gotten Final Fantasy XIII or its sequels and don't plan to. Haven't followed XV so haven't made any decisions on if its a to buy or to skip.

Thought the PS3 and XBox 360 have been terrible for JRPGs. Valkyria Chronicles was really the only stand out on them both. Blue Dragon was boring and Lost Odyssey was very hard to like and only really worth sticking with for the text stories. I've not played Ni No Kuni but heard once you get over the graphics it's pretty bland with poor writing. I am looking forward to the tales of games which I heard are excellent.

Thought the Wii was a much better machine in that regard. Xenoblade is the best RPG in recent years since Persona 4. There's other quirkier JRPGs like Fragile Dreams and Opoona.

I wouldn't be hoping for much JRPGs on the PS4 or XBox One because they have moved to handheld. The PSP and DS are home to probably the best and most expansive libraries of JRPG games of any console. It will continue on the 3DS and (hopefully) the Vita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think I saw that Swery is looking to support kinect with D4 as he likes it, and I think Kojima said he wanted to make MGS 5 for the One because he likes kinect.

This is horrible to hear.

Grayditch wrote: »
    This is horrible to hear.

Fable Journey sums up the full potential of camera controls. Indeed, horrible.

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    Fable Journey sums up the full potential of camera controls. Indeed, horrible.
    I can not take Fable and sum of potential in one sentence as anything but hilarious.

I can not take Fable and sum of potential in one sentence as anything but hilarious.

Agreed, but if you want to make a kinect type, all-motion game with a camera, it has to be all on-rails because you have far less control over what's happening as apposed to using a controller.
    If you try to fix that and add a controller into that just to be able to tell the character to run this way, or aim and shoot at that with an added mix of wavy hand gestures, you're going to be taking your hand off the controller to do all of that. I don't like the idea of that.

In my eyes Kinect had a long time to prove what it could add to games in a useful and significant way, it still hasn't done that and I highly doubt it will either. Motion controls on all platforms are just gimmicky.

About MGS 5 plans for the One.
    He is also interested in SmartGlass, stating that using it and ”different devices to bring the hardcore gameplay to different kind of media” is something he is “really looking forward to.”
    Contarary to popular opinion he is all praise for the new Kinect and he may integrate it in Metal Gear Solid 5.
    “The Kinect itself brings a lot of different capabilities as well and I will like to see what I can do with the voice command, and the movement with the gestures and see what we can do with that,” he said in an interview via Major Nelson’s Xbox channel .
    About D4
    Swery begins by saying that the game is a modern mystery designed to be played with the Xbox One’s Kinect. There will be an option to play the game with a controller, but Swery recommends the Kinect as it allows you to play the game intuitively and you can play the game while eating popcorn without having to wipe your hands to pick up the controller.

Swery is so adamant about the fact that you can eat popcorn while playing D4, pointing it out many times, that I wouldn’t be surprised if it appears as a feature on the marketing materials for the game when it releases.

Just because the game uses Kinect doesn’t mean it will require broad gestures or even a standing position. This is another reason you can eat popcorn, Swery points out, because no one eats popcorn standing up. The game will also allow you to use voice commands.The game is designed to be played sitting down and uses the Xbox One’s advanced Kinect to track smaller movements.

There are three dialogue options, and it appears as though placing your hand over the option you want will select it, but it also looks like you can speak the dialogue option out loud in order to make a choice.
    I'm not going to blast them until I try them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wouldn't even classify Valkyria Chronicles as JRPG; it's closer to a tactical game like XCOM.

Advertisement