Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm good with not eating popcorn while I'm playing most games, anyway. I dunno if that D4 games sounds like my cup of tea, but I loved Deadly Premonitions. In fairness, I'm not sure Swery would be yer best man for coming up with something user friendly for the Kinect. DP was barely user friendly :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

"we're over delivering on value" = a free avatar t-shirt :rolleyes:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Xbox-One-Avatar-t-shirt/00000008-4ae0-2241-ccdc-f3b45858081c

thumblg.png

^ yeah....very generous of you MS!....i'll deffo buy the X1 because of this AMAZING free gift!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

One more thing, which pushing me towards ps4 - support for force feedback aftermarket steering wheels. Xbox 360 is horrible in this. You can't use g25/g27 on 360.
    its not confirmed, but I would not be surprised to see same restrictions in Xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

FFS! Xbox One created with advertising in mind
    An Xbox employee has commented as to how the architecture of the Xbox One dashboard has been created “with advertising in mind”. The team also gave us an exclusive insight into what the future of advertising on the Xbox One will and could look like using Kinect, Smartglass and personalised information.

Just another reason to keep that feckin camera out of my house.

They should've really copped on with the ads on xbox live, there shouldn't be any if you're paying for it! Not even a free service like PSN had ads.

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    FFS! Xbox One created with advertising in mind

Just another reason to keep that feckin camera out of my house.

They should've really copped on with the ads on xbox live, there shouldn't be any if you're paying for it! Not even a free service like PSN had ads.

I wonder what stops kinect scaning your room and look for Logos of products, then feed you with advertisements.
    I got a lot of Lego in my mancave and a lot of it is not out of box with clear Logo signs. So if Kinect scans my room I will be fed with Smyths ads for the next two weeks...
    If have a bottle of coca-cola on my table in front of the TV and then for next 2 weeks I am fed with Coca-Cola ads, so I would not forget to get some etc.
    Maybe Kinect is not as sinister as people think, but it is still something that I dont want to look at me all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I wonder what stops kinect scaning your room and look for Logos of products, then feed you with advertisements.
    I got a lot of Lego in my mancave and a lot of it is not out of box with clear Logo signs. So if Kinect scans my room I will be fed with Smyths ads for the next two weeks...
    If have a bottle of coca-cola on my table in front of the TV and then for next 2 weeks I am fed with Coca-Cola ads, so I would not forget to get some etc.
    Maybe Kinect is not as sinister as people think, but it is still something that I dont want to look at me all the time.

just for fun
    im going to have alot of sony products in my room :p see if it shows me ads for it :pac:

on a serious note

anyone know how long the list is for xbox one in gamestop in dublin town?

all sony fanboys a side saying 2 people on the list ( sorry but the joke as been done to death by now )
    since people are going to buy it obviously , does anyone know what place they are on the list
    cause im looking for a different place to pre order
    as were i pre ordered it, im over 78th on the list... so its not guarenteed

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    just for fun
    im going to have alot of sony products in my room :p see if it shows me ads for it :pac:

on a serious note

anyone know how long the list is for xbox one in gamestop in dublin town?

all sony fanboys a side saying 2 people on the list ( sorry but the joke as been done to death by now )
    since people are going to buy it obviously , does anyone know what place they are on the list
    cause im looking for a different place to pre order
    as were i pre ordered it, im over 78th on the list... so its not guarenteed

As I said in PS4 forum, most likely it will be first come, first serve for preorder people. No way they will keep 10 PS4 on midnight launch for the first few people who preordered, but never came, while having 50 people outside who preordered and showed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

wasnt that hard choosing really

As I said in PS4 forum, most likely it will be first come, first serve for preorder people. No way they will keep 10 PS4 on midnight launch for the first few people who preordered, but never came, while having 50 people outside who preordered and showed up.

alot of places are going by the list
    if they do it that way your explaining well then their will be alot of disapointed people

alot of places are going by the list
    if they do it that way your explaining well then their will be alot of disapointed people

I talked with manager in local gamestop and he said that list there is for to know how many preorders and in what place you are does not really matter much. Now I presume they will advice for "good" customers to be on launch to pick it up etc, but I would not expect them to hold on to a unit if there are 20 people in front of the till with cash in hand and preorder.
    So far there are tons of rumours and feck all facts. Same way retail places can use this as a scare tactic to get people preorder or else there will be feck all left.

"Are there any left" bit:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The technology in it? It simply wouldn't be able to manage that.

That being said, specifically holding up a particular branded item in front of your Kinect in order to unlock something in-game? Perfectly viable. Doritos at the ready!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

gizmo wrote: »
    The technology in it? It simply wouldn't be able to manage that.

That being said, specifically holding up a particular branded item in front of your Kinect in order to unlock something in-game? Perfectly viable. Doritos at the ready!

The kinect sensor alone wouldn't have that power, but it would have the power to take the pictures of your surroundings, send them back to MS servers, and have some program there scan them for products they are partnered with and then the ads can be fed to you from that information.

I don't see it happening, but it is possible to with Kinect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

The kinect sensor alone wouldn't have that power, but it would have the power to take the pictures of your surroundings, send them back to MS servers, and have some program there scan them for products they are partnered with and then the ads can be fed to you from that information.

I think one fo microsoft's spin offs/sunsidaries/ whatever copyrighted using the kinect to scan for how may people are in a room at a time... so if they wanted they could implement a program where they scan to see the audience.... meanwhile an university in u.s developed a way to use you're wi-fi router to scan how many people are in your house... much like the batman mobile phone thing.... heres hoping its gonna be a case of batman rather than big brother :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

They've already said it'll be able to recognise stuff like sports teams' jerseys, and feed you with "personalised advertising" based on it, so it's not all pie in the sky

By that logic it's also possible with the current generation Kinect and Playstation Eye. I'm not sure what makes the new iteration such an exception outside of the higher resolution camera.

As an aside, even if one was to ignore the tin-foil hattery, there is no way in hell MS is going to want to process tens of millions of 1080p images from Kinect-enabled consoles around the world on the off chance they'll be able to extract some advertising information which, if they were discovered doing, would result in a monumental lawsuit against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

gizmo wrote: »
    By that logic it's also possible with the current generation Kinect and Playstation Eye. I'm not sure what makes the new iteration such an exception outside of the higher resolution camera.

As an aside, even if one was to ignore the tin-foil hattery, there is no way in hell MS is going to want to process tens of millions of 1080p images from Kinect-enabled consoles around the world on the off chance they'll be able to extract some advertising information which, if they were discovered doing, would result in a monumental lawsuit against them.

Can be plugged out, next one can't be

TheGunns wrote: »
    Something which doesn't affect it's ability to take pictures while it's plugged in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'm really a bit worried about all of this "Smart Glass" second screen nonsense on the next gen consoles. It sounds so gimmicky and pointless and yet developers are so keen to use it. I just really hope it's not essential because I don't have a tablet and have no plans to buy one. I would have normally thought it would just be an optional add on but if you look at stuff like the Dead Rising 3 demo, the artillery strike on the tablet was the only way forward really.

Even the best use of it ever is still hindered hugely by the device itself. It just seems so awkward having to fiddle around with it while playing, it's like playing with two controllers except one of them is far more complex, has no buttons and requires you to look at it instead of the TV screen.

C14N wrote: »
    I'm really a bit worried about all of this "Smart Glass" second screen nonsense on the next gen consoles. It sounds so gimmicky and pointless and yet developers are so keen to use it. I just really hope it's not essential because I don't have a tablet and have no plans to buy one. I would have normally thought it would just be an optional add on but if you look at stuff like the Dead Rising 3 demo, the artillery strike on the tablet was the only way forward really.

Even the best use of it ever is still hindered hugely by the device itself. It just seems so awkward having to fiddle around with it while playing, it's like playing with two controllers except one of them is far more complex, has no buttons and requires you to look at it instead of the TV screen.

Dead Rising 3 can be played without the smart glass, but there will be missions exclusive to smart glass users.
    That said, it doesn't interest me either. I don't want to be putting down my controller every few minutes to check stuff on the phone/tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

TheGunns wrote: »
    Did you only read his first paragraph?

• Advertisement

I don't see them going down the route ever either, it isn't worth the cost for the payout recieved.
    Though seeing how they are pushing television and media so much, it wouldn't surprised me if they implemented their system that they patented where it checks how much people are in the room and you have to pay based on how many people you want to watch the movie/show.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

One more thing, which pushing me towards ps4 - support for force feedback aftermarket steering wheels. Xbox 360 is horrible in this. You can't use g25/g27 on 360.
    its not confirmed, but I would not be surprised to see same restrictions in Xbox one.

"Third-party developers are also hitting snags with the Xbox One’s technology. Game Informer confirmed that current third-party systems, including custom controllers, simulation wheels, and even headsets, will not be usable through the Xbox One. Developers that are interested in creating compatible hardware must pay for a third-party license all over again — even if they’ve already developed for the company in the past."

http://gigaom.com/2013/06/27/microsoft-makes-it-harder-to-smaller-developers-to-build-off-kinect/

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Did you only read his first paragraph?

I did only tbh :o but still it's possible for them to always process the pictures, they might not even do it themselves. I'm sure loads of companies would pay for any information which would give them an edge

They probably won't do it, but it is possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

C14N wrote: »

I may be wrong, but I don't remember seeing any touch-screen device stuff on PS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I don't remember seeing any touch-screen device stuff on PS4.

Its highly probable that they'll integrate the Vita into any touch-screen related needs.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Its highly probable that they'll integrate the Vita into any touch-screen related needs.

Sony's tablet is rumored (or confirmed) to be compatible as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

The Tom Clancy game had a guy drop in on a tablet as a drone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

The Tom Clancy game had a guy drop in on a tablet as a drone.

Need for speed Rivals also.

ION08 wrote: »
    Need for speed Rivals also.

and watch dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

and watch dogs
    I'll forgive it for Watch_Dogs ;)

Advertisement