Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

mancave

:P always wanted one of those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hope the tablet thing will work cross platform, i.e for iOS devices and Android. Don't want to have to go out and buy one of Sony's tablets or Vitas.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

.ak wrote: »
    Hope the tablet thing will work cross platform, i.e for iOS devices and Android. Don't want to have to go out and buy one of Sony's tablets or Vitas.
    It's confirmed to be on iOS and Android, so no worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

E256-cover.jpg

Well Edge aren't ****ing about anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

gizmo wrote: »
    Well Edge aren't ****ing about anyway...

Was this written before the Xbox 180 stuff I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Otacon wrote: »
    Was this written before the Xbox 180 stuff I wonder?

Doubt it this just popped up on their site this morning http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/e256-why-ps4-is-your-next-console-and-the-titanic-errors-on-xbox-ones-road-to-ruin/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Serious trolling from Edge. The comments on Facebook over it are hilarious. Even Charlie Brooker was giving out about it on Twitter (Brooker? Giving out? Never!)

It's a cheeky publicity stunt, but it's working. And frankly, even without reading the article, I struggle to disagree with the general sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

A continuation from MS saying that specs aren't important: http://www.slashgear.com/xbox-one-spec-defense-was-no-ps4-snub-insists-microsoft-exec-01288589/
    Penello says that he was “not diminishing Sony’s performance claims and…wasn’t trying to be arrogant or dismissive.” He continues by saying that both Sony and Microsoft engineers working on their respective gaming consoles “are unbelievably talented and experts in their field. Nobody knows the specifics of how the machines are architected or if there may be bottlenecks in one system or accelerators in another that change the impact of the published specs.”

However, Penello affirms his stances on the premise that games will be the deciding factor on which console is best, not necessarily which console has the more-impressive spec sheet. He says that specs are important, by many gamers won’t really be looking at how fast the processor is or how much RAM it has on the inside.

Penello says that “games on both systems looked awesome.” He brought up Ryse and “thought it was the most next-gen looking game [he] saw on either platform,” despite the flack that the game received when it was found out that it was playing on a high-end gaming PC rather than the intended Xbox One. He also notes that he’s “biased” and “didn’t have time to see everything.” At least he’s being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pushtrak wrote: »

Well if its all about games I'm going up into me Ma's attic to see if I can me ould speccy. Some Savage games for that console

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Is ANYONE here getting the Xbox One!? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

ION08 wrote: »

Not at launch, but somewhere down the line when the price drops.

PS4 at launch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I will not be getting it. There is nothing that interests me enough to want it...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

I dont know, I feel like I got screwed with the PS Vita, so do I buy the PS4 to see if it makes the PS Vita any better or do I jump ship and buy the xbox…think Ill have to wait until its actually out before I can make that decision, never buying a console before release date again!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I dont know, I feel like I got screwed with the PS Vita, so do I buy the PS4 to see if it makes the PS Vita any better or do I jump ship and buy the xbox…think Ill have to wait until its actually out before I can make that decision, never buying a console before release date again!

If you own a vita already i see no reason to jump ship considering the tie ins they have planned between the PS4 and the Vita, plus the fact that right now on paper the PS4 is simply the better choice, although with 5 months to go a lot can still change.

I'm not getting PS4 or XO at launch. Neither system are impressing me with exclusives. It's all about the multiplat so far. I expect the exclusives to come for both, so will in all likelihood end up getting both some time down the line. The Wii U will be first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be getting one of them at launch and one of them for birthday/christmas off the other half. Just have to decide which one i want at launch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't think I'm going to get either at launch (definitely picking up the PS4 at some stage) mainly because I'm still waiting to hear on Bioshock DLC and Dark Souls 2 is coming out in March.

Only thing that really interests me at launch is BF4 and that one really depends on when friends buy a PS4.

Edit: Well that's not enitrely true, I'm interested in Watch_dogs and to a lesser extent Killzone and Knack but I'll be waiting on reviews on all of them and how Watch_dogs differs on next gen before purchasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm not getting the Xbox until I can physically disconnect the Kinect. I'm gonna go with the PS4, because Sony's exclusives seem to be the kind of thing I'm into. And it's cheaper. But most of all... Playstation Plus.

VinLieger wrote: »
    If you own a vita already i see no reason to jump ship considering the tie ins they have planned between the PS4 and the Vita, plus the fact that right now on paper the PS4 is simply the better choice, although with 5 months to go a lot can still change.

The PS3 and the PS vita were meant to tie in , but they don't. PS Vita and PS3 connectivity is extremely limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Neither would I. Then again, it's impossible to do that :p

• Advertisement

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    Neither would I. Then again, it's impossible to do that :p
    It isn't as silly as it looks. Lots of people pre order consoles, even to a point of paying it off before release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The PS3 and the PS vita were meant to tie in , but they don't. PS Vita and PS3 connectivity is extremely limited.

The difference this time though is the ability to connect your Vita to your PS4 is built into the console - developers do not need to worry about it.

For the PS3, remote play had to be specifically set up by the developers and as it ran on the PS3, resources needed to be set aside for it. As most third-parties didn't want to pay that price, it was left out.

Otacon wrote: »
    The difference this time though is the ability to connect your Vita to your PS4 is built into the console - developers do not need to worry about it.

For the PS3, remote play had to be specifically set up by the developers and as it ran on the PS3, resources needed to be set aside for it. As most third-parties didn't want to pay that price, it was left out.

I see, but still doesn't change the fact that they advertised something they didn't deliver on. Sony has lost my trust so I won't be making my decision until after the console is released!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm seriously considering cancelling my PS4 pre-order. I'm broke and it was a stupid decision in the first place and I'd rather spend it on a WiiU since it has games I'm actually interested in.

Retr0, how good do you reckon The Wonderful 101 will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I see, but still doesn't change the fact that they advertised something they didn't deliver on. Sony has lost my trust so I won't be making my decision until after the console is released!

All PS4 games other than ones using the motion features PS Eye will be remote-playable on the Vita. Sony have already mandated this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Retr0, how good do you reckon The Wonderful 101 will be?

It's Platinum, I'd put money on it being great.

I think I'd rather wait a year on the PS4 and XO for some better games to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't really understand why people are preordering these consoles, or even considering buying them on release. Retr0 - I thought you'd know better than that? :P

I know it's an experience in itself getting a console on release, but they'll always have a limited library (which going by historical console releases, won't have many good games)you'll be a guinea pig for any hardware issues - and all this at a higher price.

Far better waiting a while for some decent games to come out, hardware to go through tests/revisions and for the price to come down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

o1s1n wrote: »
    (which going by historical console releases, won't have many good games)

Ah now, you can't judge this generation of consoles launch titles based on previous generations. In my opinion this gen has a great lineup for both consoles.
    That said I still won't be getting it until around June.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I don't really understand why people are preordering these consoles, or even considering buying them on release. Retr0 - I thought you'd know better than that? :P

Caught by the hype :) Also only 20 euro to pre-order sounds like a great deal until you get home and realise you forgot the 380 more you need to pay before release :)

Advertisement