Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

My theory and feeling on it is (after buying last gen around 2009), that the earlier I buy into the gen the more I'll get out of it. Of course I could wait a year, which was my original plan, but I'm pretty much certain on a release purchase now.

There will always be drawbacks but I have the money for it now so why not just go for it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah now, you can't judge this generation of consoles launch titles based on previous generations. In my opinion this gen has a great lineup for both consoles.
    That said I still won't be getting it until around June.

Of course I can. Do you know why? Because history has an amazing ability to repeat itself. How many consoles from previous generations stretching back three decades have had stellar lineups at launch? Why will this one be any different?

I've seen the lineups listed so far for each console and they don't do much to change this opinion.

I don't know about you, but it's enough to make me wait :)

And that's not touching on the secondary issue of hardware issues. If the previous gen is anything to go by, I'd gladly wait for that reason alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Slightly concerned about early hardware, but there looks to be enough to keep me happy on the PS4 for a while anyway. Day one, job for me, anyway.

Master of the Universe

Grayditch wrote: »
    Slightly concerned about early hardware, but there looks to be enough to keep me happy on the PS4 for a while anyway. Day one, job for me, anyway.

Well that's what it boils down to really :)

If The Last Guardian was suddenly announced as a PS4 launch title I think I'd join you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 billy87

ps4 for me. preorderd already.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well that's what it boils down to really :)

If The Last Guardian was suddenly announced as a PS4 launch title I think I'd join you :D

I know the Killzone's get a lot of stick, but I love them, bar the very first one. Playing both InFamous games always reminds me of the first time I played Spiderman on the PS1. I have high hopes for PlanetSide 2, although I've a feeling I'll be let down. The multiplatform games will tie me between exclusives hopefully, but yeah. Getting a console early is always a gamble. I always do it anyway, even after the 3DS. That had no good games for the longest time. I wore out my copy of Perfect Dark on the 360, too, waiting for something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

I know the Killzone's get a lot of stick, but I love them, bar the very first one. Playing both InFamous games always reminds me of the first time I played Spiderman on the PS1. I have high hopes for PlanetSide 2, although I've a feeling I'll be let down. The multiplatform games will tie me between exclusives hopefully, but yeah. Getting a console early is always a gamble. I always do it anyway, even after the 3DS. That had no good games for the longest time. I wore out my copy of Perfect Dark on the 360, too, waiting for something decent.

I just hope they make the MP like kill one 2! I don't have the highest hope for it though

Absolutely love infamous, the second really improved on the first and the 3rd looks great!

Planetside 2 looks very interesting, though not a fan of FTP. I'd rather just buy the game and be done with it.

What extra costs are with Planetside 2, though? None are necessary, I don't think.

I'll be happy with a good MP or SP within the new Killzone. Both would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

What extra costs are with Planetside 2, though? None are necessary, I don't think.

I'll be happy with a good MP or SP within the new Killzone. Both would be a bonus.

I actually don't know, but I'm just not a fan of the system in other games. Could be different with this, though.

Well, I presume there's micro transactions, but in most games I've played they haven't disturbed the balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    I actually don't know, but I'm just not a fan of the system in other games. Could be different with this, though.

You can buy guns weapons etc but they really are about playstyle and dont upset the balance too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Most of the standard weapons in planetside 2 are generally the jack of all trades types with some empire specific traits, the other weapons can be very expensive to buy with Certs( got by playing and used to buy/upgrade everything that's non-cosmetic) or with SC (real money only for weapons and cosmetic stuff).

The games is mostly balanced in a way that the most expensive weapons have a high reward in certain circumstances but at a higher risk, the most powerful shotgun cost 4x the cheapest and has a extremely slow fire rate and far lower capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

o1s1n wrote: »
    Of course I can. Do you know why? Because history has an amazing ability to repeat itself. How many consoles from previous generations stretching back three decades have had stellar lineups at launch? Why will this one be any different?

I've seen the lineups listed so far for each console and they don't do much to change this opinion.

I don't know about you, but it's enough to make me wait :)

And that's not touching on the secondary issue of hardware issues. If the previous gen is anything to go by, I'd gladly wait for that reason alone.

This is pretty much my position now, almost got sucked into this day one hype bolloxology. I'm happy enough to hold off for a few months to see how the launch goes. Might pick up a Vita or 3DS in the meantime though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

For me the ps4 probably won't get it release day and don't mind the whole playstation plus fiasco as long as the invest in the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

JamboMac wrote: »
    For me the ps4 probably won't get it release day and don't mind the whole playstation plus fiasco as long as the invest in the network.
    Playstation plus fiasco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Playstation plus fiasco?

But it is a fiasco. How the fudge do Sony expect us to play through all of those free games every month!?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Surely it's not a fiasco unless something catches fire......

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/03/15

PSN hack was terrible. PS Plus is absolute gold. And I don't mean like Xbox Live Gold :pac:

I mean constantly delivering the good sh*t.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Playstation plus fiasco?

It's just some people where so shocked that they would charge for the network, as long as the multiplayer is improved less of you shooting people but the bullets don't count gonna have to remember my password when I get a new the new ps4, lets hope they don't get the same Chinese factory that built the first load of ps3', no more ylod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

It's just some people where so shocked that they would charge for the network, as long as the multiplayer is improved less of you shooting people but the bullets don't count gonna have to remember my password when I get a new the new ps4, lets hope they don't get the same Chinese factory that built the first load of ps3', no more ylod

That is also known as a 'rubber banding', and is not primarily the fault of the PSN. Its to do with developers and publishers having the game perform on the client side rather than server side of things, which increases the latency and induces lag. It's typically bad on MMOs and FPS games. The game I've most found this in is Battlefield.

I wouldn't be blaming the factory for that, they were built to Sony's specs.

• Advertisement

It wasn't down to the specs it was down to solder that was used

It wasn't down to the specs it was down to solder that was used

A lead-free solder that was specified by Sony as it was cheaper. The factory hardly went with their own against Sony's wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

aaronh007 wrote: »
    A lead-free solder that was specified by Sony as it was cheaper. The factory hardly went with their own against Sony's wishes.

They were planning on using lead based solder until it was outlawed so they had to change to something else right before production started.

They were planning on using lead based solder until it was outlawed so they had to change to something else right before production started.

That still means it was specced by Sony, so blaming the factory for YLOD is hardly fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Hardware failures wont be tolerated by end users this gen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Hardware failures wont be tolerated by end users this gen.

Yeah they will be.

Master of the Universe

aaronh007 wrote: »

If only they used lead free solder because it was cheaper :(

It goes far beyond that, check out the European Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restriction_of_Hazardous_Substances_Directive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Yeah they will be.

No....they wont! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I'm going PS4, I just do not want a kinect staring at me all day, nor do I want to pay an extra 100 quid for it.
    Always went with MS until this latest disaster.

This gen I'm not buying out of the gate either. Done that before, too many RROD, no WIFI, extra money for HDMI etc etc. I'm going to let it die down and get one. Or a PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

No....they wont! :mad:

Ha, you have more faith in consumers than I do :D

Advertisement