Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i think i am going to cancel my ps4 pre order.

the launch games do not excite me and tbh i only wanted it for metal gear solid 5

already owning a wii u/ 3ds i have more than enough to play and i yet to pick up bioshock infinite,metal gear rising revengence and tomb raider

so i am holding out till metal gear gets released :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

JamboMac wrote: »
    It's just some people where so shocked that they would charge for the network

I think most people just nodded and said "fair enough".

Sony made the right decision by launching PS+ as a really good service a while before they planned to make all multiplayer a paid service. It meant that rather than getting everyone pissed off at them, almost everyone was willing to buy in for the fantastic selection of games you get with a subscription. I mean, realistically if you don't mind waiting a few months after launch to play most games, you could pay your €50 a year and not have to buy a single other game on PS3 and still be kept busy with quality titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Some of my mates do that. Just work off the PS Plus games. They get to play together in multiplayer every month too, it's great. They're usually games I've already bought, but are worth revisiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

PS+ is less than €1 per week. It's practically free and all the stuff you get for that. Netflix for a year costs more.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

C14N wrote: »
    I think most people just nodded and said "fair enough".

Sony made the right decision by launching PS+ as a really good service a while before they planned to make all multiplayer a paid service. It meant that rather than getting everyone pissed off at them, almost everyone was willing to buy in for the fantastic selection of games you get with a subscription. I mean, realistically if you don't mind waiting a few months after launch to play most games, you could pay your €50 a year and not have to buy a single other game on PS3 and still be kept busy with quality titles.

It is possible that the games may start drying up a bit or the selection gets poorer. On the PS3 you'd just stop paying for it so they kept the quality up to keep the money coming in. With the PS4 more will keep paying it for access to multiplayer so it could get worse on the games front. I can't understand how they are making money on it. The free games were ridiculous at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It is possible that the games may start drying up a bit or the selection gets poorer. On the PS3 you'd just stop paying for it so they kept the quality up to keep the money coming in. With the PS4 more will keep paying it for access to multiplayer so it could get worse on the games front. I can't understand how they are making money on it. The free games were ridiculous at times.
    They most likely aren't and are/were using it as a means to help transition gamers who weren't used to paying for online-functionality on the PS3 into paying for it on the PS4. After all, with the lack of backwards compatibility on the latter, just what do they intend adding to PSN+ the month after release, launch games? :)

As an aside, there was an interesting write up on the service back in March on Gamasutra which covers the financial side of things from the publisher/developer perspective. Brian Provinciano's last point mirrors my concern about the service, similar to what C14N mentioned above, in that there is a danger that people may get used to getting too much for free. As you said though, I think that won't be as much of an issue once the PS4 launches and the selection becomes a lot lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Having had a good read of the thread I think I'll hold off on getting either at launch. I will get a PS4 somewhere down the line. There are still some immense games on the PS3, and I barely get time to play them as it is. I have also just got PS+ so have uncharted 3, payday, battlefield, ico, SoTC and the DLC of New Vegas to finish off. I think that's enough to be getting on with for now. O and GTA in September and GT 6 on the way. Yeah I think PS3 for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

gizmo wrote: »
    After all, with the lack of backwards compatibility on the latter

Just on that note, Sony as good as confirmed that PS3 titles will be on Gakai in 2014.. didn't they? Was there any more detail on a timeframe?

Reason I ask is I'm frickin desperate to get playing The Last of Us and have been close to buying a ps3 this week many times. If it isn't too far away I wont mind holding on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

maximoose wrote: »
    Just on that note, Sony as good as confirmed that PS3 titles will be on Gakai in 2014.. didn't they? Was there any more detail on a timeframe?

Reason I ask is I'm frickin desperate to get playing The Last of Us and have been close to buying a ps3 this week many times. If it isn't too far away I wont mind holding on!

2014 for North America I think it was, nothing on elsewhere I'm pretty sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I can't imagine that Sony wouldn't roll Gakai out to Europe quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Balls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Balls.

Which console will that game be released on then :confused:

Indeed they did and I imagine Gaikai offerings will become a pretty big part of PSN+ upon release. I was referring to the first year or so after release and the games available which would be viable additions to the service during that time.

As for the PS3 thing, personally I'd just get one now and delay your PS4 purchase until there are more games out for it. There are plenty of fantastic exclusives on the former platform to keep you going in the meantime. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The only thing I can think of is DLC. If a game had been out a few months and some people weren't going to buy the game anyway, giving them the game for free and get money from them as they buy DLC for it is pretty much would probably bring in more money. I know with Sleeping Dogs I spend maybe about €10 on the DLC for it even though the game was free. Same with Mortal Kombat, I bought a few of the DLC characters and costumes (sorry... kharacters and kostumes).

Was hugely surprised seeing Hitman Absolution on PS+ though. It had barely been out 6 months by that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

You might as well get a PS3 with PS+ it'll pay for itself long before 2014!

MS have reversed and decided to bundle the new headset as standard in the X1 box....well done Microsoft, keeping going like this i might change my purchasing decision!

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/xbox-one-2/xbox-one-news/38941/xbox-november-launch-hardware-bundle-contents-confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

MS have reversed and decided to bundle the new headset as standard in the X1 box....well done Microsoft, keeping going like this i might change my purchasing decision!

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/xbox-one-2/xbox-one-news/38941/xbox-november-launch-hardware-bundle-contents-confirmed

Does ps4 comes with bundled in headset? One of the things that sony did with ps3 was a lack of headset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

That is still a rumour and not confirmed.

https://twitter.com/OXMUK/statuses/352776611197759490
    Does ps4 comes with bundled in headset? One of the things that sony did with ps3 was a lack of headset.

Yeah, it has a mono headset like the ones you get with an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Which console will that game be released on then :confused:

Maybe he meant the game that came out on the 16bit consoles
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

They most likely aren't and are/were using it as a means to help transition gamers who weren't used to paying for online-functionality on the PS3 into paying for it on the PS4. After all, with the lack of backwards compatibility on the latter, just what do they intend adding to PSN+ the month after release, launch games? :)

Well considering it now runs on x86 architectre, I could imagine them paying a bit to some indie developers with existing games on the PC to port it over. If there's one thing indies do well, it's porting to everything :p Heck, there's no reason we couldn't see a good few re-releases of PC versions of current-generation games which would probably be a lot cheaper to do than the "HD Collection" games they've been releasing in the last two years or so.
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    I can't imagine that Sony wouldn't roll Gakai out to Europe quickly.

I could imagine it. The fact that they haven't given any date at all isn't looking good. If they expected it would be coming in 2014, I'd think they would have said so.

It looks like it does but they headset looks rubbish, the kind of thing you'd get with a phone from 5 years ago.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well considering it now runs on x86 architectre, I could imagine them paying a bit to some indie developers with existing games on the PC to port it over. If there's one thing indies do well, it's porting to everything :p Heck, there's no reason we couldn't see a good few re-releases of PC versions of current-generation games which would probably be a lot cheaper to do than the "HD Collection" games they've been releasing in the last two years or so.

I could imagine it. The fact that they haven't given any date at all isn't looking good. If they expected it would be coming in 2014, I'd think they would have said so.

It looks like it does but they headset looks rubbish, the kind of thing you'd get with a phone from 5 years ago.

Xbox 360 had rubish one too, but it was enough. The main thing it needs is the microphone. Thats why community on 360 was spreading faster. Communication like this helps a lot. I personally HATE headsets, but xbox 360 one was enough for me to use as microphone only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Id love to know what the crack is with Skype is it just an app or is it taking over the whole chat system on xbox
    and what's the ps4 chat going to be like
    quality wise

Do you mean port the PC versions of existing multiplatform games over to the PS4?

Well there is a reason not to do it, the console may be based on an x86-architecture but most PC versions would have DirectX-based renderers which would need to be rewritten to support whatever version of LibGCM is present on the PS4. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well there is a reason not to do it, the console may be based on an x86-architecture but most PC versions would have DirectX-based renderers which would need to be rewritten to support whatever version of LibGCM is present on the PS4. :)

Which isn't really that hard to do especially if you've written a Open GL version for Linux.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Which isn't really that hard to do especially if you've written a Open GL version for Linux.
    But of course, however the vast majority of AAA PC games don't use OpenGL nor is the platform currently supported by most first and third party engines. Things may change with the PS4 obviously so it should be interesting to see how the AAA space evolves in this regard. In terms of indie, Unity is going to be extremely interesting to watch although so too will UDK once it catches up with UE4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

But of course, however the vast majority of AAA PC games don't use OpenGL nor is the platform currently supported by most first and third party engines.

Unreal 3 supports OpenGL. It has to if it want's to run on anything that isn't Microsoft.

Unreal 3 supports OpenGL. It has to if it want's to run on anything that isn't Microsoft.
    Indeed it does however it's not officially supported on Linux, only Android. Dungeon Defenders was released at the end of last year alright but even that was only accomplished due to the use of SDL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't know if the change of architectures is really going to make porting games that much easier. I'm not an expert but AFAIK it's the engines and APIs etc used that make the biggest difference.

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that porting games between the Xbox 360 and Windows PCs is easier than porting between Windows PCs and Linux PCs running the exact same hardware. Despite the different hardware, the APIs are very similar, so the source code can remain very similar, even though it compiles to something very different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

stevenmu wrote: »
    I don't know if the change of architectures is really going to make porting games that much easier. I'm not an expert but AFAIK it's the engines and APIs etc used that make the biggest difference.

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that porting games between the Xbox 360 and Windows PCs is easier than porting between Windows PCs and Linux PCs running the exact same hardware. Despite the different hardware, the APIs are very similar, so the source code can remain very similar, even though it compiles to something very different.

Porting is easier now with the architecture being the same/similar. the API's added to the inconvience in the previous gen

Porting to linux isnt overly difficult i believe its just something that doesnt have much reward for a company to do so as linux has a small userbase

one of the Dev's for FFXV stated that the Engine was built on DirectX because partially because its easier to port to different platforms

The biggest issue of porting last gen was that the PS3 took ages to port to because of its achitecture

Advertisement