Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Xenji wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85040158

Our own poll here shows that nearly 90 percent more users will be getting a PS4 than a Xbox 1, although tempted to do a new poll given that we know more about the systems now.

You should..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ION08 wrote: »
    You should..

Doing it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'd believe that the ONE could use that much but it's OS(s) are doing a lot more than the PS4.

Not sure about this but I think the PS3 increased how much was free a while ago by improving the PS3's OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Feck, didnt they say only 1gb will be used for OS? 3.5gb sounds like a LOT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

It still hasn't been confirmed, and the only source for that is a Killzone Infamous slide and Sony have said many times that Killzone Infamous started development well before the console was upgraded to 8Gb.
    I don't trust that source and I don't like how the site is claiming it as fact without any official word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

C14N wrote: »
    Okay so I saw this crop up on my Facebook feed today:

Xbox One demand "through the roof", could outship PS4 by 3-to-1

Now that sounds so odd to me that I'm kind of inclined to say this is just some insidious marketing BS from Microsoft and looking at the comments on Facebook under the article it seems like a lot of people think the same. Does anyone else think that maybe it's actually true?

My guess is this console generation will have unprecedented levels of FUD, deceptive marketing, "shipped" vs "sold" BS etc... etc.. I'm actually surprised neither Sony nor Microsoft have claimed victory yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

Not to sound like a dick but I really don't understand how anyone can support such a large group of sleazy shady businessmen like Microsoft who just take your cash and run. I see some have made the argument that the Xbox One has a better lineup of exclusives over the PS4, while that is most definitely down to everyone's opinion its pretty widely accepted that Microsoft have completely blown their load and wont have anything new of any real interest for quite some time while Sony still have a ****ton of titles to announce. Also, in the long run, Sony's exclusives will destroy Microsoft, just look at the support the PS3 has been given to this very day while the Xbox 360 just collects dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Not to sound like a dick but I really don't understand how anyone can support such a large group of sleazy shady businessmen like Microsoft who just take your cash and run. I see some have made the argument that the Xbox One has a better lineup of exclusives over the PS4, while that is most definitely down to everyone's opinion its pretty widely accepted that Microsoft have completely blown their load and wont have anything new of any real interest for quite some time while Sony still have a ****ton of titles to announce. Also, in the long run, Sony's exclusives will destroy Microsoft, just look at the support the PS3 has been given to this very day while the Xbox 360 just collects dust.

Stop being a fanboy, both consoles have good exclusives & will in the future its up to people which they prefer. The support for the ps3? how is the 360 collecting dust? You are just saying sony is great and Microsoft only want money? Thats stupid comment every company wants your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

Nolars wrote: »
    Stop being a fanboy, both consoles have good exclusives & will in the future its up to people which they prefer. The support for the ps3? how is the 360 collecting dust? You are just saying sony is great and Microsoft only want money? Thats stupid comment every company wants your money.

I own both a 360 and a PS3, I am in no way a fanboy. My experiences with the 360 and Microsoft have been terrible. PS3 support has been undeniabley better. When was the last time the 360 had a massive exclusive. They are few and far between the last 2 years. Obviously Sony also want money BUT they actually give a **** about their customers unlike Microsoft who couldnt give a flying ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I own both a 360 and a PS3, I am in no way a fanboy. My experiences with the 360 and Microsoft have been terrible. PS3 support has been undeniabley better. When was the last time the 360 had a massive exclusive. They are few and far between the last 2 years. Obviously Sony also want money BUT they actually give a **** about their customers unlike Microsoft who couldnt give a flying ****.

:rolleyes: Neither company cares.
    PS3 has only just started to shine where the Xbox 360 has been fantastic over its life span. I take my hat off to Sony for what they have done with PSN plus and with getting the exclusive title The last of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Obviously Sony also want money BUT they actually give a **** about their customers unlike Microsoft who couldnt give a flying ****.

They only care enough for it to be profitable. I agree that the PS3 has had a much better last two years than the 360 (although probably a much worse first two years) but saying that MS have "blown their load" and won't have any more good games to offer down the line just isn't true. We don't know what they will do, I remember thinking the same about the PS3 at the start of the last generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't care who cares. Sony's exclusives just started becoming ridiculously good, while Microsoft's dried up. Thankfully this new console should kick things off again so they can get back to delivering stuff like Alan Wake and Crackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

GTR63 wrote: »

They update that article today.

So 4.5GB of the PS4's 8GB GDDR5 memory pool is guaranteed to game developers right now, and an additional 512MB of physical RAM may be available in addition to the 4.5GB

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Microsoft undoubtedly took the foot the accelerator when it came to exclusives in the last few years, but I get the feeling that this was more due to them have met their targets for this generation of consoles than anything else. The fact is that while this console generation has been a draw between the the Xbox 360 and the PS3, the PS3 needed to do some catching up over the last few years. This meant that Sony needed to bring out better exclusives.

The hardware and OS of the two new consoles aren't really all that interesting for me in terms of purchasing decision, and while I'll read articles comparing the two, I'll wait until it's out, and even then, I'll only really read Digital Foundry and Anandtechs analysis, they've both proven themselves to be more accurate than others in the past.

It's interesting that Microsoft is now benefiting from something no one probably expected, in that because their messaging was so poor for so long, that it most likely can't get any worse for them. It's only upwards in terms of PR for them now, whereas Sony now have an issue. Having held themselves up as fighting for the gamer for a while, almost any negative that comes out about them now might have an increased effect. Of course, Sonys problem is a much better problem to have!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-witch-hunt-somewhat-unjustified-says-carmack-6412437

He also says the Xbox One hate is unjustified, so not sure he is someone to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-witch-hunt-somewhat-unjustified-says-carmack-6412437

He also says the Xbox One hate is unjustified, so not sure he is someone to listen to.

Fanboy much

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He didn't say it was unjustified, he said it surprised him how much hate there was for it. He also said that it's inevitable that the industry will end up in that position over time which if Paddy Power was taking bets you'd do well to put money on it. Carmack has been really good at predicting the future of the industry at his Quake con talks and a lot of that is down to him being one of the people that shapes it.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He didn't say it was unjustified, he said it surprised him how much hate there was for it. He also said that it's inevitable that the industry will end up in that position over time which if Paddy Power was taking bets you'd do well to put money on it. Carmack has been really good at predicting the future of the industry at his Quake con talks and a lot of that is down to him being one of the people that shapes it.

If he was good at predicting the game industry he shouldn't have been surprised by the hate of original X1 policies so.

And X1 GPU gets a small upclock of 53Mhz bringing it to 1.3TF.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/08/02/report-microsoft-to-announce-upgraded-gpu-speed-for-xbox-one.aspx

Why are they still doing Quokecon? ID is coasting on Original Dooms and Quake 2/3 success for a very very long time. their latest game RAGE was average at best with no competitive multiplayer at all.
    I cant understand why on earth he ( and ID ) still getting so much worshiping. Don't understand me wrong, he was a grand dad to all first person shooters, he gets respect for that, but I cant remember anything decent from them in the last 15 years.
    I wont argue his opinion on the performance levels between Xbox one and ps4, he is software developer, he really knows better, but I dont care much about his Opinion Xbox Hate, Xbox got everything that it deserved. And in fairness Xbox managed to turn it around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's because he's still one of the best coders in the industry. He really does demand an awful lot of respect.

X1 got a GPU boost, from 800Mhz to 853Mhz....based on normal grphics cards its not much, perhaps 1 or 2 fps. This "boost" is usually just bringing the GPU back up to what it can normally run at. Most graphics cards a slightly underclocked to allow for third parties to sell "overclocked" retail versions.

It's because he's still one of the best coders in the industry. He really does demand an awful lot of respect.

Not much good games out of that good programing.... :rolleyes:

Hardly his fault when he isn't involved in any of the game design now is it? It's like blaming the texture artists for poor sound design.

Hardly his fault when he isn't involved in any of the game design now is it? It's like blaming the texture artists for poor sound design.

Well I can say that a person is good coder when I see his work, I havent seen anything good coded by him by quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Well he said he's still under nda, "and cant talk about any real juicy technical details" between the PS4/XB1

We wont know the real difference between the 2 systems until we see the first party games.

some quotes from carmacks keynote lastnight,

"everyone would like me to come out with some a/b comparison about the 2 platforms, but tbh, i havent down any rigorous bench marking, so even if i wasnt under nda i couldnt really give you a completely honest answer, but they a very close and both very good"

Realistically if he flat out said that the ps3 was more powerful, it would be a hugh fuk you to MS, and coming from carmack afew months before they drop, it would sway alot of potential buyers. It would be like burning bridges with MS.

Although he didnt hold back on bashing kinect, he really doesnt seem to like it at all, he said it reminded him of when he used to give apple alot of grief over their one buttoned mouse.
    "Kinect is fundamentally a poor interaction." "kinect is like a zero button mouse with a lot of latency on it"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNWAcEu1jpU
    he opens with a small bit about the consoles @ 15:45, and talks about them some more @ 23:20mins

I watched the whole thing live last night.
    The guy knows his stuff, and it seems he's influenced alot of technology advancements behind the scenes.

Well I can say that a person is good coder when I see his work, I havent seen anything good coded by him by quite a while.

Really? His code that keeps Rage at a constant 60 FPS is pretty exceptional and despite some teething issues the engine for Rage is impressive and very solid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm not sure why there's any controversy or issue over his comments, they seem to be pretty bland and uncontroversial to me. What exactly are people unhappy with?

Advertisement