Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Microsoft are trying to be a entertainment system more than a gaming console in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And rumours/hints as to when MS will announce their new console?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And rumours/hints as to when MS will announce their new console?

May for console announcement then E3 as the showcase for games

Could be sooner with the impending sony announcement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

im not one of those go out and buy it right away people. I tend to give consoles about a year before i consider buying one. Im not brand loyal, I owned both a ps2/3 and an xbox. Which ever console has the games i like ill probably end up buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I found PS2 to be streets ahead of the original xbox yet i prefer my Xbox 360 way more to my PS3 , I'm on my 360 all the time where as i don't think i've touched the ps3 since before Xmas

So i don't know which to get 1st have to so i do rather live to ps3's online

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Microsoft are trying to be a entertainment system more than a gaming console in my eyes.

Nothing wrong with that IMO. I'd rather have 1 machine do my every needs than 2/3 doing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Nothing wrong with that IMO. I'd rather have 1 machine do my every needs than 2/3 doing them.

True, but if the gaming side of things suffers because resources are allocated to other areas of their entertainment division then i'd rather they stick to the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

For me the choice would come down to what my friends are getting, if it's the new Xbox, ps4, steam box or apple box or whatever then if all my fiends who I game with are getting he same thing then that's what will make my choice. If there are major exclusives that I want to play then maybe down the line ill get that particular console. Just my 2 cents.

I heard killzone 4 a launch title for ps4. I cant think of another perfect title to showcase the power of the system

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard killzone 4 a launch title for ps4. I cant think of another perfect title to showcase the power of the system

It will definitely be able to show off just how many browns the colour palette has. Just hope they don't forget the gameplay like they did for the last 3 games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

From the bits and pieces I've heard so far I'm definitely leaning towards the PS4.

Backwards compatibility would seal the deal for certain.

It is sounding like the Sony machine is the one to go for. The development environment seems to be much better as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It is sounding like the Sony machine is the one to go for. The development environment seems to be much better as well.

Yeah, been getting most of my info from NeoGAF, one of the links mentioned "a lot of goodwill already from devs towards the system" or something to that effect. I don't understand the technical details but apparently the type of RAM being used, even though there's less than the Xbox, is so much better than the Xbox that it should make a big difference.

Again I don't understand the details so anyone feel free to tell me I'm talking rubbish but apparently MS want developers working with certain libraries to make games while Sony are letting the developers get involved with the machine much more closely.

danthefan wrote: »
    Yeah, been getting most of my info from NeoGAF, one of the links mentioned "a lot of goodwill already from devs towards the system" or something to that effect. I don't understand the technical details but apparently the type of RAM being used, even though there's less than the Xbox, is so much better than the Xbox that it should make a big difference.

the difference between gddr5 and ddr3 is bandwidth atm it mean that the ps4 will load games slightly faster than the xbox but the difference wont be noticeable until the end of the gen and is still likely to change gddr5 memory isnt cheap.
    Again I don't understand the details so anyone feel free to tell me I'm talking rubbish but apparently MS want developers working with certain libraries to make games while Sony are letting the developers get involved with the machine much more closely.

xbox dev is easier atm because its using directx and most devs are used to it
    ms dont want them to access certain libraries yet due to potential changes to the os they apparently will be opened later in the cycle

sony are the same but have learned from the ps3 not to lock out devs from the system and have given slightly more access than ms probably down to the spec being more finalised the xbox may be changed depending on what sony do

neither console is really weaker than the other given current specs i will prob go ps4 due to Japanese titles being exclusives and pc already having enough alternatives to xbox exclusives

The RAM Sony are using is super fast GDDR5 RAM which is usually used in graphics cards. The MS machine might have more RAM but it's slower and apparently a lot is taken up my the operating system and media functionality.

MS though are using 32MB of ESRAM in a similar fashion to the eDRAM on the 360 GPU which might make a big difference. Again, we won't know for a long time although DF seems to think it's a bit of a stop gap solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the real reason that will help people choose is which console has the SingStar logo constantly in the games list.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I have owned the PS 1, 2 and 3. It's PlayStation 4 for me. I don't study the details like alot of you, i'll just buy the thing.

I don't use the online features so I hope online games don't completely take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think the real reason that will help people choose is which console has the SingStar logo constantly in the games list.

I don't get this. Some people say they have this all the time but it hasn't appeared on my XMB yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

This rumour of the next xbox needing a constant internet connection has me concerned, and being unable to play second hand games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

This rumour of the next xbox needing a constant internet connection has me concerned, and being unable to play second hand games?
    There were these precise rumours going around about the PS4 a couple of months back. I seem to recall the reason it came up about the PS4 was related to a patent Sony had filed. It being brought up in relation to the next xbox is just a common thing with rumours. Something that is said of one system is rumoured for another system. Whether it is actually true of any of the systems is irrelevant, it is if people wil believe it. Me? I don't. In either case.

Edit: Lots of companies file patents without any intention of using that which is being patented. I don't see Sony acting on this patent, but the rumour only makes sense in the context of Sony. The link to the patent I mentioned is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I don't see them banning used games but I could see more content or services being restricted to only be usable by new gamers. As to the only online, they'd limit their market by too much for it to make sense.

I'd see them adding more than just online play to those €15 passes, no trophies/achievements for used games syncing and such. Also some more day one DLC for new copies of the game.

ms were ask by a site if the used game rumours were true and they said they dont respond to rumours... thats never a good sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

ms were ask by a site if the used game rumours were true and they said they dont respond to rumours... thats never a good sign
    That's how they respond to all rumours so t'is evidence of nothing...

they never respond to any rumors true or not. They're very consistent about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,063 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Sony don't block pre-owned games, MS won't.

There will likely be the ability to do it on either console but the fact is neither will do it first because it would immediately have everyone running to the other. They will either both do it, or neither will.

i know what they always say that but when a rumour is as big as blocking used games you deny that **** ..instantly

i know what they always say that but when a rumour is as big as blocking used games you deny that **** ..instantly

when they haven't even confirmed the next xbox they are not going to confirm it by denying something.

This rumor wont matter as these rumors have been around since the PS3 rumors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

That would be a PR nightmare. If your policy is never to comment, then you NEVER comment. Otherwise, if you comment to deny things it means that anything you don't comment on is taken as being true. It's an all or nothing policy, and theirs is never to comment on rumour and speculation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

If Sony don't block pre-owned games, MS won't.

There will likely be the ability to do it on either console but the fact is neither will do it first because it would immediately have everyone running to the other. They will either both do it, or neither will.

They can't both do it first

Advertisement