Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The lack of patches on consoles meant that extremely rigorous testing was needed before a title was allowed on a console.

/TheMoreYouKnow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

The lack of patches on consoles meant that extremely rigorous testing was needed before a title was allowed on a console.

/TheMoreYouKnow

The rigorous testing still goes on but "we'll patch it" is a legitamate solution in the eyes of MS/Sony

now some fix the game breaking bugs where 10 years ago they were apart of the difficulty:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

/TheMoreYouKnow

The lack of patches would sometimes mean that a game was released first on PC and delayed on consoles until it had been properly patched and tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

C14N wrote: »
    But day one patches and such only came about because of the existing storage that was available to devs. Who's to say that next generation there won't be some use of Kinect that will have people saying "considering the prevalence of feature X, having Kinect is pretty essential"? The industry survived for a very long time time without the patches after all and it wasn't a thing that gamers everywhere were talking about back in 2005/6 iirc.

Yes, it is the standard now. It wasn't until this generation. For all we know, having some Kinect-like device will become the standard next generation. I just want to re-iterate that although storage might now seems essential, we were all quite happy to play games without it for the majority of video game existence.

That's missing the point. What he was saying was that it's not about personal preferences, it's about charging a higher price to include features that someone will want. There are a lot of XBO features that you may think are important but others wouldn't use at all but MS has included them anyway. There are loads of places they could have saved money because some people won't want to pay extra for a specific feature.

Some won't want the HDD, they would be happy to chop €50 off and put save games on a memory card or use their own HDD. Some don't need wireless controllers and wish you could buy a wired one to save money. Some won't want to play many games and wish they could save money on the processors. Some people have a wired connection to their TV and could save a bit on the wifi adaptor. I remember a lot of people saying the PS3 didn't need a Blu-ray player last time because it inflated the cost but down the line, the only reason I bought a PS3 was for the Blu-ray.

I was initially opposed to the Kinect as well but there were some good points made here. I still don't want one, I still have no plans to buy an XBO and it might still turn out to be a disaster but there's also the chance that a few years away it will be something really good.

We can argue all day what sort of optional parts should consoles have, but by just using common sense people should clearly see how kinect is forced. There are no practical benefits from it to traditional gaming. Maybe voice commands are handy, but for that I dont need kinect, simple mic should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

We can argue all day what sort of optional parts should consoles have, but by just using common sense people should clearly see how kinect is forced. There are no practical benefits from it to traditional gaming. Maybe voice commands are handy, but for that I dont need kinect, simple mic should work.
    I prefer to look at it this way. What can a creative and ambitious game studio achieve with a sensor this sophisticated.

• Advertisement

I prefer to look at it this way. What can a creative and ambitious game studio achieve with a sensor this sophisticated.

The whole motion sensor shiet should die in the alley as soon as possible and then we can focus on Oculus rift.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The whole motion sensor shiet should die in the alley as soon as possible and then we can focus on Oculus rift.

Surely, Oculus Rift and Kinect would be an awesome combination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

In that unboxing video i was struck [over the head by a hammer] by how large the Kinect 2 is, that big yoke sitting underneath yer telly box.......i tells ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Surely, Oculus Rift and Kinect would be an awesome combination.

Kinect kinda requires you to be able to see your hands and gestures though, at least the way most games are built for it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Just had a read through the last few days comments and i gotta agree the kinect is just a gimmick, I had a 360 and kinect and it was great for a few weeks but that was it, it sat on top of the tele and wasnt used for months on end
    stevenmu wrote: »
    To stick with your analogy, the Kinect isn't heated seats, or electric windows, it's the accelerator and brake pedals. And they're every bit as essential as the steering wheel or engine.
    To be fair if the kinect can be turned off like ms say it can then its really not that important at all, its hardly the brakes, maybe more like the alloys or..... the dipstick :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 hurleyman15

To me, the consoles both look fairly even. I would probably be happy enough with either one, because I'm not that allied to any of the exclusives on either one (except possibly minecraft on Xbox). Most of the next gen games I'm looking forward to are on both consoles.

That said, the PS4 is cheaper, and I have no need for a kinect sensor, so it will be a PS4 for me. Though I will still be on my 360 for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This may help people decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why couldn't they invest whatever of their spend on not needing a bloody power brick and batteries for their pads.

360 is the worst console I've ever owned in terms of that stupid brick and noise, also first console to break.

I'll be sticking with Playstation. Superior machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

RasTa wrote: »
    Why couldn't they invest whatever of their spend on not needing a bloody power brick and batteries for their pads.

360 is the worst console I've ever owned in terms of that stupid brick and noise, also first console to break.

Girlfriend moved in with me and brought here Xbox with her, I was amazed by the noise it made, have had hairdryers that made less noise and the brick was just unsightly, with all the cables already around the TV I did not need something like that taking up more space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

To get back to the OP "How will you choose......."

I'm going to go with the PS4.

I'm not a fanboy: I had the 360/PS3/Wii and enjoyed each of them. However I preferred the pricepoint of the PS4. 100 quid does make a difference. I also have no interest in the Kinect and am not convinced of it's gaming use. Microsoft's initial handling of used games and online requirements turned me off initially and made me quite angry. I know those have been resolved of course but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. However the biggest reason for me going to PS4 is the exclusives: Having just finished playing the amazing "Last of Us" I just can't wait to see what Naughty Dog are going to do with PS4 hardware. Had Bioware kept Mass Effect exclusive to Xbox then my decision would have been harder. I know Sony will now require PS+ membership to play online but that doesn't bother me as it represents good value for money in my opinion what with the monthly game etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'll be sticking with Playstation. Superior machine.

How can you possibly know that?

With all the changes that Microsoft have announced to the Xbox One, I'm leaning back towards that but there's still the €100 difference and the fact that I already have a Vita. The connectivity of the Vita and PS4 and how well it's implemented could be crucial for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

How can you possibly know that?

With all the changes that Microsoft have announced to the Xbox One, I'm leaning back towards that but there's still the €100 difference and the fact that I already have a Vita. The connectivity of the Vita and PS4 and how well it's implemented could be crucial for me.

Catch 22

No one knows enough to make a fully informed decision but if you wait until you do then it's too late to get either.

I'm not expecting much in the form of PS4 and PS Vita linkage, but I still love the Vita. Any good connectivity will be a bonus for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Varik wrote: »
    Catch 22

No one knows enough to make a fully informed decision but if you wait until you do then it's too late to get either.
    I'm pretty sure you'll be able to buy either console for many years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

stevenmu wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you'll be able to buy either console for many years to come.

And I'm sure they will, but me and my pre-order one will happily playing away for some time before those who decided late get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm going to have limited gaming time when both consoles release. Getting them at launch will not be a priority for that reason. Besides that, I have one crazy backlog of stuff to get to before I can get next gen. I expect I'll get all 3 of them. The only question is when it makes sense in terms of backlog gone, when it makes financial sense, and when I can plan for having time to play. It could be a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor,

Bye bye Kinect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

So now its only the price that people can complain about, microsoft better stop these U turns or soon people wont have a reason to hate on the Xbox One anymore

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    So now its only the price that people can complain about, microsoft better stop these U turns or soon people wont have a reason to hate on the Xbox One anymore

Well look where complaining got people. The things they wanted. Mark my words, it's obviously what most people wanted, or MS would have stuck to their guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Grayditch wrote: »
    Well look where complaining got people. The things they wanted. Mark my words, it's obviously what most people wanted, or MS would have stuck to their guns.

the thing with most people, is their afraid of change
    imagin if microsoft never changed anything at all
    the xbox one IMO would of been great, but my opinion aside, if they didnt change anything, and people went along with it who knows, it probably would of been something amazing in the future,
    MS were thinking long term about this not short term, they made great changes(imo again) to the console before all this 180 stuff, which basicly showed it wasnt an xbox360.5
    now all it is is a small hardware upgrade for both consoles, with new UI's :pac:

but then again in reality it would of been a big flop if they didnt do a 180 because people are afraid of restrictions, which is fair to be honest. only if we lived in a perfect world :pac:

Wooooow, so it was such important and integral part of the Xbox one, that now it can just be completely thrown in to skip! Oh the irony.

Anyway, good move MS. At least you proved once again, that you listen. It's a shame they still force you buy one now, but I Bet we will get a new non Kinect version next year with smaller price tag. That's when I will get Xbox one.

Wooooow, so it was such important and integral part of the Xbox one, that now it can just be completely thrown in to skip! Oh the irony.

Anyway, good move MS. At least you proved once again, that you listen. It's a shame they still force you buy one now, but I Bet we will get a new non Kinect version next year with smaller price tag. That's when I will get Xbox one.

You wont see a kinect-less model

they're enforcing the kinect to get developers to use it. the reason it didnt get developed for in any meaningful way was because it had such a limited install base

Including it is a good idea by ms as we might see some useful implimentation with a full install base

At least they made it so that you could throw the thing in the bin now

NTMK wrote: »
    You wont see a kinect-less model

they're enforcing the kinect to get developers to use it. the reason it didnt get developed for in any meaningful way was because it had such a limited install base

Including it is a good idea by ms as we might see some useful implimentation with a full install base

At least they made it so that you could throw the thing in the bin now

We already sow 2x180 from MS, you think we wount see more of 180s at this stage?

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    the thing with most people, is their afraid of change
    imagin if microsoft never changed anything at all
    the xbox one IMO would of been great, but my opinion aside, if they didnt change anything, and people went along with it who knows, it probably would of been something amazing in the future,
    MS were thinking long term about this not short term, they made great changes(imo again) to the console before all this 180 stuff, which basicly showed it wasnt an xbox360.5
    now all it is is a small hardware upgrade for both consoles, with new UI's :pac:

but then again in reality it would of been a big flop if they didnt do a 180 because people are afraid of restrictions, which is fair to be honest. only if we lived in a perfect world :pac:

Peoples issue with the thing were that
    DRM was overly restrictive with its online checks
    There were no benefits apart from the instant access library (which when you consider game sizes will probably be 30+gb is lol worthy) and the questionable family sharing (if you think the likes of EA/Activision are going to allow sharing,lol)
    most likely none of the tv features will work in europe
    The attempt to monopolise the 2nd hand market by licensing retailers
    The mandatory Kinect that couldnt be unplugged and with claims from MS that they respect our privacy despite being caught up in PRISM:rolleyes:
    and €100 euro more than the superior spec ps4

Gaming has innovated for decades with "minor" hardware upgrades.change isnt something gamers fear being made to jump through hoops to play the games you own is though

Advertisement