Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

We already sow 2x180 from MS, you think we wount see more of 180s at this stage?

I hold slight hope for the price to be dropped abit (i dont see there being much chance of it tbh) but i dont see the kinect being drop as they've invested far too much into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

NTMK wrote: »
    Peoples issue with the thing were that
    DRM was overly restrictive with its online checks

No way, man. You're just afraid of the glorious gaming future MS could have provided had people not moaned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    No way, man. You're just afraid of the glorious gaming future MS could have provided had people not moaned.

Surely that was sarcasm?

Surely that was sarcasm?

No way. Some of you need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future. If MS want to restrict thing, the its for the best, surely. And why press one button, when you can speak to your Xbox. Why use a joypad when you can just flap you arms around.

2e0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

they're enforcing the kinect to get developers to use it. the reason it didnt get developed for in any meaningful way was because it had such a limited install base

Kinect has sold 24m units...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

COYVB wrote: »

How the **** did it sell 24mill units?
    Whats the best seliing kinect game?

I dont for one second believe that kinect will ever become anything other than a gimmick but MS is giving it its best shot by selling it with the console

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

COYVB wrote: »

And how many people will want it again considering how poor the first one turned out. If they didn't bundle it then it wouldn't sell even that much.

I don't understand why they havent commisioned an amazing Kinect launch title. Something to make even ME interested in it. It's still touted as potential.

Maybe they'll show something incredible at Gamescon, but it still looks like a gimmick to me, where they hope developers will do something good for it. Nobody I know with a Kinect would buy one again if they had the money they spent on it, in their hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

And how many people will want it again considering how poor the first one turned out. If they didn't bundle it then it wouldn't sell even that much.

i agree, if it wasnt forced bundled i dont think it would sell a million copys even :pac: but since its forced which i dont mind because i will actually use the thing with family when their over, but the fact that it is forced, shows microsoft want it to be apart of their future gaming console. Which is great as it can only mean people who want to use it, can use it, people who dont, dont have to use it but they will still have one, now the market is bigger for ms to produce more kinect, kinect features in games if game devs want kinect features in their game

and lets face it , for people who are getting the xbox one, who say they will never use kinect. Most likely will use it at some point whether it be for waving their hands around to move the screen, or saying something in a game, or that thing with dr3 when zombies can hear you, or even taken pictures of you when you get a shock from a scary game(evil within said this in an artical) or even just turning it on.
    people will use it eventually even if they didnt want it in the first place.
    So MS are using this as a bigger market more then anything else

I hope they do put it aside for the people who dont want it, but i doubth they will at this point, they will lose to much money if they do,

kinda funny, cause either way they go, their going to end up losing money on it somehow, at this point all they can do is keep it with the console. Pre orders are doing well for the xbox one anyway maybe not as good as the ps4 but its still a great improvement compared to e3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Kinect's main problem is that it just doesn't work very well. Spent half an hour on Kinect and half an hour on PS Move and I'd say 99% of people would agree on which is the better piece of kit (and I say that as someone who hasn't used the Move in a year either).

If Kinect 2 works better and if developers can find a way of implementing it in an innovative way into games then who knows, maybe Microsoft are onto something here. Maybe. I think the game controllers will always be the primary means of controlling games but it isn't perfect. Maybe there is a way of using motion control to supplement the controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Beefy78 wrote: »
    If Kinect 2 works better and if developers can find a way of implementing it in an innovative way into games then who knows, maybe Microsoft are onto something here.

I'd rather meaningful rather than just innovative.
    Playing ZombiU last night and some of the crap they use the WiiU controller for is just stupid. Looting in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Kinect's main problem is that it just doesn't work very well. Spent half an hour on Kinect and half an hour on PS Move and I'd say 99% of people would agree on which is the better piece of kit (and I say that as someone who hasn't used the Move in a year either).

If Kinect 2 works better and if developers can find a way of implementing it in an innovative way into games then who knows, maybe Microsoft are onto something here. Maybe. I think the game controllers will always be the primary means of controlling games but it isn't perfect. Maybe there is a way of using motion control to supplement the controller.

The reason why move was better was because it had buttons. You need input. Waving your arms to do something is never going to be 100% accurate. And what can kinect bring to a game like watch dogs? Nothing. Kinect is there for the casual just dance crowd. If it was so useful they'd have proper implementation in proper games by now. Kinect taking pictures of you scared is stupid and not worth €100 if you've no interest in casual family games. The zombies listing to you could've been done by bundling a headset with a mic.

Give it 2 years and I bet nothing useful will be done with kinect because nothing useful could've been done with last one and they're basically the same thing. They're gimmicks. Motion controls have been proven to just be gimmicky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'd rather meaningful rather than just innovative.
    Playing ZombiU last night and some of the crap they use the WiiU controller for is just stupid. Looting in particular.

Absolutely. Innovative but adding value. The Sharpshooter with the Move is the kind of thing I'm talking about. A lot of people moan about playing FPS games on a controller. The Sharpshooter provided a means of using motion control to enhance the gaming interface and it worked. It wasn't flawless but it worked.

Tumble and Sports Champions are the best motion games I've played. Still not enough to warrant me buying the set up, in hindsight. Killzone with the gun was interesting.

Microsoft can make people buy the Kinect by putting it in the box, but they can't make people want to use it unless they get some good content going on it.

Turning on the console with hour voice and flicking through menus with your hand sounds so unapealing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Tumble and Sports Champions are the best motion games I've played. Still not enough to warrant me buying the set up, in hindsight. Killzone with the gun was interesting.

Microsoft can make people buy the Kinect by putting it in the box, but they can't make people want to use it unless they get some good content going on it.

Turning on the console with hour voice and flicking through menus with your hand sounds so unapealing to me.

hey im not judging but if i dont have to get up of my arse to turn on the xbox or physically move a heavy analog stick from one side to the other to turn on sky tv with the xbox well then il take it :pac:

Jesus.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    hey im not judging but if i dont have to get up of my arse to turn on the xbox or physically move a heavy analog stick from one side to the other to turn on sky tv with the xbox well then il take it :pac:

Hail to the King!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

You wont see a kinect-less model
    Not soon after release anyway. If kinect isn't doing as much as they'd like and they want to lower the price to compete with the PS4 though, you can bet they'd release a version sans kinect. Wouldn't expect that for at least 2 years in a situation where kinect wasn't doing well.
    1ZRed wrote: »
    The zombies listing to you could've been done by bundling a headset with a mic.
    This is just ridiculous. A mic wouldn't be that sensitive, and a mic wouldn't have a heartbeat sensor to be implemented in games.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    This is just ridiculous. A mic wouldn't be that sensitive, and a mic wouldn't have a heartbeat sensor to be implemented in games.

A mic won't be sensitive enough to... pick up sound?

A mic won't be sensitive enough to... pick up sound?
    Way to be obtuse. A mic functionally picks up sounds. Sensitivity is related to the level of sounds it would pick up. Nice of you to ignore the heartbeat sensor aspect too. A+ post, would read again.

• Advertisement

Not soon after release anyway. If kinect isn't doing as much as they'd like and they want to lower the price to compete with the PS4 though, you can bet they'd release a version sans kinect. Wouldn't expect that for at least 2 years in a situation where kinect wasn't doing well.

What do you think a microphone is used for? :confused: The X1 is going to be using a mic to listen too. The heartbeat sensor has nothing to do with the sound.

About the heartbeat sensor, how accurate will it be? I find it hard to believe how a camera can monitor your heartbeat accurately. I'd have to see it in action first.

When developers are looking at incorporating features they look at what the install base has. So, what will the install base have? They'll have a ****ty headset and the kinect. The ****ty headset isn't going to pick up sounds very good, if you doubt this then I don't know what to say to you. Yes, lots of people will go and get better headsets in time. I will at some point assuming an adapter isn't forthcoming by the time I get around to it.

The kinect mic sensitivity is an unknown at this time, and like you with the heartbeat, I'll want to see that in action. At this point, we don't really know, and talking about such unknowns is to me fairly pointless. Even so, I think we can say its safe to say the kinect mic will be more sensitive than the regular mic. For them to get the desired effect, they'd have to include a better headset. Why would they do this if they feel the kinect does that job well enough? Obviously we'll have to wait and see how things turn out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I hold slight hope for the price to be dropped abit (i dont see there being much chance of it tbh) but i dont see the kinect being drop as they've invested far too much into it

It *needs* to drop to 449.99.....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭damoPL

Features! Also as a next year college student my finances will be tight, therefore it seems like the PS4 will be a much more affordable option especially considering the games you get from PS+.

When developers are looking at incorporating features they look at what the install base has. So, what will the install base have? They'll have a ****ty headset and the kinect. The ****ty headset isn't going to pick up sounds very good, if you doubt this then I don't know what to say to you. Yes, lots of people will go and get better headsets in time. I will at some point assuming an adapter isn't forthcoming by the time I get around to it.

The kinect mic sensitivity is an unknown at this time, and like you with the heartbeat, I'll want to see that in action. At this point, we don't really know, and talking about such unknowns is to me fairly pointless. Even so, I think we can say its safe to say the kinect mic will be more sensitive than the regular mic. For them to get the desired effect, they'd have to include a better headset. Why would they do this if they feel the kinect does that job well enough? Obviously we'll have to wait and see how things turn out.
    You can relax a bit, I was talking about the gimmicks. If they wanted to let the zombies here you they could've had a better headset included that could do this well. Since kinect is all about jumping around this hearing feature could be used in more serious games, without the need for the camera, so you could have a better headset bundled in and make the kinect optional because it's not going to add to games like battlefield, that's been shown by now sinse motion controls have been out for years and still having replaced a proper controller.

That's what I'm on about. People are saying that voice commands could be really useful, I doubt it myself, so if you want that you don't need a camera for it. If you're justifying a camera based on that, a better mic would do the job just as well, and would be cheaper.

Jesus.

is he a gamer :confused:

We aren't going to get anywhere with each other on this, and frankly, I need to see more to be sold on kinect myself, so I don't have the motivation or inclination to try to sell it to others. I only see that things kinect can do are things that could not be done with just the mic, assuming it does what it says on the tin, i.e the heartbeat sensor.

damoPL wrote: »
    Features! Also as a next year college student my finances will be tight, therefore it seems like the PS4 will be a much more affordable option especially considering the games you get from PS+.

you will get at least one new ps4 game through the plus service per month!....so minimum of 12 a year. even if you never spend a penny on dlc or retail games yer sorted through the year.......:cool:

microsoft....lol, their free games joke ends on dec. 31st and is only for the 360 :rolleyes:

We aren't going to get anywhere with each other on this, and frankly, I need to see more to be sold on kinect myself, so I don't have the motivation or inclination to try to sell it to others. I only see that things kinect can do are things that could not be done with just the mic, assuming it does what it says on the tin, i.e the heartbeat sensor.

I *need* to see both the OS to decide.....i cant tell what each ones features are until then, i'm still PS4 but i have plenty of time for MS to change my mind.......:)

• Advertisement

Why do you keep taking about a heartbeat sensor when this is about sound? It's not going to hear your heartbeat. That's all I don't get because I wasn't even taking about a heartbeat sensor in the mic.

Advertisement