Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

you will get at least one new ps4 game through the plus service per month!....so minimum of 12 a year. even if you never spend a penny on dlc or retail games yer sorted through the year.......:cool:

microsoft....lol, their free games joke ends on dec. 31st and is only for the 360 :rolleyes:

I suppose the question is are they going to be full versions the same as on PS3 PSPlus or are they going to be diet versions like the version of Driveclub ?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/418199/drive-club-ps-plus-version-wont-have-all-cars-and-tracks/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

You wanted them to include a better headset, and no kinect. That isn't happening, so it's a stupid conversation, frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Pushtrak wrote: »
    You wanted them to include a better headset, and no kinect. That isn't happening, so it's a stupid conversation, frankly.
    Ok, but thank you for engaging in it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I don't how people still have stock in MS or could be swayed back.
    Looking at next gen, hell, even current gen is so relient on the mother company making the right business decisions for the consumer yet MS seem to make horrible decisions based on a consumer POV as their first reaction.

This to me just screams that the companies first choice has been the wrong one so why would I have faith that that will change?

I would rather a company making good choices day 1 over one that makes bad choices off the bat but will reverse them if people disagree.

I simply cannot trust MS to make good decisions based on their track record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

is he a gamer :confused:

what i just said is the definition of a gamer :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

MS have confirmed the 180 will only be available in 13 countries at launch now instead of the original 21. Ireland is still included in the 13 countries. They've said it's due to localisation issues.

Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland are the countries who have to wait til the new year.

I wonder is there actually localisation issues or are they diverting stock to the likes of the US and UK in order to get the biggest market share possible?

Edit - whoops, forgot the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Have look at global sales and match them up to that :)
    I dunno, I'd say it's a stock issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

danthefan wrote: »
    MS have confirmed the 180 will only be available in 13 countries at launch now instead of the original 21. Ireland is still included in the 13 countries. They've said it's due to localisation issues.

Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland are the countries who have to wait til the new year.

I wonder is there actually localisation issues or are they diverting stock to the likes of the US and UK in order to get the biggest market share possible?

:p forever will be known as.......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

danthefan wrote: »

I can't see it being a localisation issue. Microsoft have huge localisation teams and their software products are available in all sorts of languages. Just look at Windows 8, you can use that as Gaeilge if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

The only thing putting me off purchasing the Xbox One was the requirement for Kinect to be constantly plugged in. There was something fishy about that I thought.

Will probably still wait for a price drop or until next Christmas to buy one though as I already have a PS4 pre-ordered and can't afford to buy both close together.
    I suppose the question is are they going to be full versions the same as on PS3 PSPlus or are they going to be diet versions like the version of Driveclub ?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/418199/drive-club-ps-plus-version-wont-have-all-cars-and-tracks/

They will probably be diet versions for the first year or so. As the gaming library expands they will probably start offering full versions of older games.

They couldn't really give away a full version of Drive Club straight away. It'd be cheaper to get a PS Plus subscription than buy the actual game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

COYVB wrote: »
    Kinect has sold 24m units...

That's true but that's still only a minority of the 360 install base of around 80m so really, if you're making a big game for 360, do you really want to cut out most of the audience who don't have the Kinect? Also, and this is purely anecdotal, I've found that like the Wii Fit board (which also sold very well), there are many Kinects bought and then left in a cupboard in someone's house, unused for months. As it is, even with sales like that, it's still not a big part of the 360 experience.
    1ZRed wrote: »
    And what can kinect bring to a game like watch dogs? Nothing. Kinect is there for the casual just dance crowd. If it was so useful they'd have proper implementation in proper games by now.

Who says it can bring nothing? I can't think of anything right now but I'm not a developer who knows what it can do? Also, Watch Dogs isn't the only game that's coming out in the next few years. If a game was built from the start with it in mind, it could be used effectively.

At the moment, of course there are no proper games. The tech is really weak and there's no market for it. They introduced it several years into the console's cycle and nobody ever bothered to invest in it because it just wasn't worth it financially, which is why the only games released were cheap rubbish that took very little time and effort to make. When it's bundled in, now developers will know it's there for every single X1 owner to use. The tech might still suck, but if it doesn't, it could be very interesting to see how it plays out.
    hightower1 wrote: »
    I don't how people still have stock in MS or could be swayed back.
    Looking at next gen, hell, even current gen is so relient on the mother company making the right business decisions for the consumer yet MS seem to make horrible decisions based on a consumer POV as their first reaction.

This to me just screams that the companies first choice has been the wrong one so why would I have faith that that will change?

I would rather a company making good choices day 1 over one that makes bad choices off the bat but will reverse them if people disagree.

I simply cannot trust MS to make good decisions based on their track record.

Last time, Sony made some horrendous decisions out of the gate and were the laughing stock of the gaming community for well over a year after the PS3 launch. For a long time, it really looked like MS had them completely destroyed for the first few years. If I stuck by my original sneering opinion on the PS3, I would have missed out on a lot of great things when I did get one eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

C14N wrote: »
    That's true but that's still only a minority of the 360 install base of around 80m so really, if you're making a big game for 360, do you really want to cut out most of the audience who don't have the Kinect?

I'd be willing to wager a reasonable amount of money that the kinect ownership base is no less then 35% of the overall xbox ownership base, given the amount of consoles that have needed to be rebought due to bad manufacturing

there must be huge demand, if 7-9 and 10 million units shipped cant meet demand for launch day, nevermind black friday or the xmas period..........

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130814PD206.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

10 million is a big number, its nearly a 8th of all PS3 consoles sold to date, but when you take into account the major markets, such as the US, UK and possibly still Japan, and then take into account all the other smaller markets, we are still gonna get very few units, anywhere between 10-20k at best, 5-10k at worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Ireland's actually quite a big market in terms of consumption of consoles and games per head, it definitely won't get stuck down the bottom of the list anyway

Ah come on now!.....WTF is this crap!!!? :mad:

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/call_of_duty_ghosts/news/call_of_duty_ghosts_xbox_one_and_ps4_textures_are_inferior_to_pc_version.html

The next-gen systems already falling behind the PC is a little concerning given that new consoles have been able to outperform PCs at launch in the past. If PC tech is already more powerful than the new consoles, the gulf will likely only become more apparent in the coming years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/call_of_duty_ghosts/news/call_of_duty_ghosts_xbox_one_and_ps4_textures_are_inferior_to_pc_version.html

The next-gen systems already falling behind the PC is a little concerning given that new consoles have been able to outperform PCs at launch in the past. If PC tech is already more powerful than the new consoles, the gulf will likely only become more apparent in the coming years...

The graphics cards in them are only equivalent to midrange or even just below mid in comparison to a new gaming computer. That's one of the reasons they can get them so cheap this time. They probably aren't selling them for big losses after previous mistakes (taking a leaf out of Nintendo's book, I reckon). The CPUs have more cores than most PCs but they're running at a relatively slow speed - designed with low power consumption, low heat and long periods of activity in mind.

Monotype wrote: »
    The graphics cards in them are only equivalent to midrange or even just below mid in comparison to a new gaming computer. That's one of the reasons they can get them so cheap this time. They probably aren't selling them for big losses after previous mistakes (taking a leaf out of Nintendo's book, I reckon). The CPUs have more cores than most PCs but they're running at a relatively slow speed - designed with low power consumption, low heat and long periods of activity in mind.

I know....but it highlights again what we've said here before....these APU's are already outdated in PC terms, and in two years the divide will get worse!

AMD i'm sure will have more powerful APU's in two years, one *hopes* these tweaks Sony did can offset the future and that tweaking and SDK can eek out more eye candy over the years.

I know they had to pull the trigger.....but maybe they could consider PS4 revision 2.0 or 3.0 with the latest APU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I know....but it highlights again what we've said here before....these APU's are already outdated in PC terms, and in two years the divide will get worse!

AMD i'm sure will have more powerful APU's in two years, one *hopes* these tweaks Sony did can offset the future and that tweaking and SDK can eek out more eye candy over the years.

I know they had to pull the trigger.....but maybe they could consider PS4 revision 2.0 or 3.0 with the latest APU?

they will never do a revised spec after release it splits the userbase

optimisation will offset some of the performance but not all of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That would be just PS5. The whole point of the consoles is that they have fixed hardware (hard drives etc. aside). Not that I disagree with you, mind you, but I'd be very surprised to see anything more than refinements on the surface and media upgrades.

They might even limit release of storage upgrades to push an online agenda. What these consoles are powerful enough for is streaming games. 3 or 4 years in, the power of streaming high resolution games could become suddenly more attractive to those with high speed connections. I think that it would be fair to say that with no opportunities of a new generation, the boost in quality provided by streaming will appeal to many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Yeah but what did you expect? How good a PC can you get for €400? Considering how long it takes to develop a console compared to releasing new PC hardware, PC will always be at least a bit ahead in terms of power. There is some offset due to the fact that the software will be designed for very specific hardware which usually allows it to run better than the same hardware on PC but one of the basic down sides of consoles is limited graphical power. The games will still look very good for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That isn't news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well No surprise there really, did anyone really believed that next gen will be on same level as PC?
    I am a hardcpre PC gamer myself, but I am looking at next gen from positive side or " glass is half full, then half empty". The stuff developers were able to push out from something like ps3 are just crazy. Uncharted for example looks savage knowing what sort of hardware they had to work with. Imagine what kind of stuff we can see when platform is actually a lot stronger and easier to work with.

People should look at how much improvement it is over old gen console, then how much it is behind PC. And thats coming from a PC gamer! :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

John Carmack said back in 2011 that console hardware runs at 2x or better performance than equivalent PC hardware due to the optimizations that are possible with console hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    hey im not judging but if i dont have to get up of my arse to turn on the xbox or physically move a heavy analog stick from one side to the other to turn on sky tv with the xbox well then il take it :pac:
    Too lazy to press a button, so use voice control to play a motion controlled console. Kind of defeats the purpose of being lazy.

Personally, I can't think of anything worse than getting in from a days work, turning on a console to relax and having to wave my arms around or talk to a game to play it. Got caught out on a Wii already, definitely not for me.
    Some people obviously enjoy it, MS must have had an eye on the Wii unit sales figures and decided it must have the kinetic sensor crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can't really afford a high performance gaming PC, so I'm not too disappointed that the PS4 versions won't look as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The Kinect 2 is a remarkle piece of technology. You can see in this video how it operates and how it is much more advanced than Kinect 1.

All that is needed is creative developers that can utilise this tech to bring us some amazing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Kinect 2 is a remarkle piece of technology. You can see in this video how it operates and how it is much more advanced than Kinect 1.

All that is needed is creative developers that can utilise this tech to bring us some amazing games.

The room they're in is absolutely massive.
    The thing is, it's obviously a gamble from MS. They'll make it compulsory so developers will use it. But it's a gamble that's being paid for by punters that go out and buy an xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I still just have no interest in Kinect tbh, I'm happy enough to control my games with a controller, it's not worth the extra cost for me. Talking to the console is also something I have no interest in paying for, pressing a button on the controller is no harder than saying "Xbox on" for example.

Advertisement