Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The Kinect 2 is a remarkle piece of technology. You can see in this video how it operates and how it is much more advanced than Kinect 1.

All that is needed is creative developers that can utilise this tech to bring us some amazing games.

Nobody is doubting that, but you need to be standing up and waving your arms around to get the most use out of it. What if you were on the couch playing halo, what use would it be then? Would you headbutt enemies or make a punching gesture? That would only be gimmicky and wouldn't be needed because a button could easily and more accurately do it.

It's all a gimmick. It was included to get the families to buy it, there's no practical use for it in games like BF, just like the wii. Doesn't matter that it's more advanced now it's still the same concept and nothing was done with the last one even though they tried because it has no buttons. Gestures just won't work. It's like using touch controls on a smartphone.

Developers have had their time with it now for a good while, even MS's studios haven't shown a good use for it in serious games which is odd because Sony's studios are using the motion and touch gimmicks in their controller and putting them to some use. MS hasn't done anything but tech demo it really.

I honestly think you're expecting way too much from kinect when it's just there to catch the Wii's family/casual audience, but thing is, like the Wii, kinect was a fad and they've already seen it. Doesn't matter that it's more advanced now, it's still the same concept and I know people, like the Wii, that wouldn't buy one again because it was only a novelty that's gathering dust now.

Unless the kinect can replace the game controller then it won't have any real use, until then it's just a gimmick, like the Wii.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

And the wii worked as a family console because it was cheap. The xbone isnt cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I actually think that the biggest thing that will hurt the Kinect is that the PS4 essentially doesn't have an equivalent. The majority of games are going to be 3rd party and on both. No matter how improved or good the new Kinect is, I can't see the majority of devs really putting in the time and effort into maximising its use if they can't utilise that work for both. I think it will be left with some token inclusions again.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I actually think that the biggest thing that will hurt the Kinect is that the PS4 essentially doesn't have an equivalent. The majority of games are going to be 3rd party and on both. No matter how improved or good the new Kinect is, I can't see the majority of devs really putting in the time and effort into maximising its use if they can't utilise that work for both. I think it will be left with some token inclusions again.

Just like the PS4's touch pad and built-in motion controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

1ZRed wrote: »

The thing about those is they don't cost an extra €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Yeah, exactly, again, I'm expecting token inclusions (remember the sixaxis usage in early PS3 games). The only thing is these don't appear to have added significantly to the cost of the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Cienciano wrote: »
    The room they're in is absolutely massive.
    The thing is, it's obviously a gamble from MS. They'll make it compulsory so developers will use it. But it's a gamble that's being paid for by punters that go out and buy an xbox.

The part about the room is true. The Kinect seems to work pretty well in the right environment but very few people have that environment. Most people with a TV have it in the corner of their living room with couches and chairs all over the place. The don't have a 3mx3m carpet in front of the TV with couches around the walls. I'm not sure how Microsoft don't know this, there must be actual people who had to make the thing with actual houses. It's even worse if you're a teenager with a small TV at the end of the bed with an Xbox plugged into it.

However saying the gamble is being paid by the punters isn't completely true. It is an extra cost obviously but that extra cost will hurt MS if it causes people to not buy the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I know I read before somewhere they have been doing a lot of testing in a lot of different room environments, but can't find a link to that fact right now. The best I can find right now I'll link in a sec, but I'll add more or post again if I find more on it.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/121188-xbox-one-new-wide-angle-kinect-will-solve-uk-home-woes

Edit:
    http://kotaku.com/how-much-space-do-you-need-to-use-the-new-kinect-512746898

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

thing is, like the Wii, kinect was a fad and they've already seen it. Doesn't matter that it's more advanced now, it's still the same concept and I know people, like the Wii, that wouldn't buy one again because it was only a novelty that's gathering dust now.

Unless the kinect can replace the game controller then it won't have any real use, until then it's just a gimmick, like the Wii.

Unlike Kinect though, the Wii's control scheme occasionally worked quite well. In with all the waggle crap and nonsense that made up 80-90% of the library...... was a few games that the control scheme worked perfectly for.

Play the original Pikmin 1 on the cube with a controller and then play the Wii remake with the Wiimote and Nunchuk. Same game, different control scheme and it's night and day. A massive, massive improvement being able to move in one direction and throw pikmin in another at the same time.....and being able to aim instantly instead of having to move a cursor with a control stick.

The only thing the Kinect works with is dance games because the insane lag can be compensated for. It doesn't really work for anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I really dont think devs. in this gen will spend the time or money on Kinect 2, regardless if everyone has one. They will have player and meta data showing if players are using Kinect features. So if they see low numbers they are not gonna invest time in things that no one uses.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

:confused:

If it's not coming to either console, then what is it doing in this thread?

I'm not going to choose between consoles based on a decision not to release a game on either console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

This has happened with every console generation ever their be a few more too that wont release on NGC's until they're a year old as the old consoles are still the money makers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

F1ngers wrote: »
    :confused:

If it's not coming to either console, then what is it doing in this thread?

I'm not going to choose between consoles based on a decision not to release a game on either console.

Well this thread isn't strictly about arguing over which is better, it's largely become a place for discussion of the two consoles in general and even of the PC as a platform going forward.

Speaking of which, looks like this will be a PC buy if a buy at all.

I really dont think devs. in this gen will spend the time or money on Kinect 2, regardless if everyone has one. They will have player and meta data showing if players are using Kinect features. So if they see low numbers they are not gonna invest time in things that no one uses.
    I don't think that's quite how it'll work. I think if developers see a good way they can incorporate kinect features they'll do so. The drawback I see is not what you describe, but multiplat games not incorporating kinect features if it is something they can only bring to the One version.

While Sony hasent talked up the new PS4 camera, it is much more capable then before....but not Kinect 2 level. So i wouldnt rule out some PS Move features being added to games, or if they are added it would be an enhanced experience.

But the new eye cam is something of a mystery, probably deliberate by Sony....but i think they should have more focus if they wanna compete with Kinect.

The PS4 isn't going to include it anyway, so it isn't going to be a developer focus in that way. And yes, this potentially could expand beyond just PS4. Why do something for the One they couldn't/wouldn't do for the PS4? We'll have to see how things play out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don't see much point in releasing Origins on the PS4/One, anyone who would have bought it will just get the current gen version.

The Kinect camera is capable of more than the eye but any minor feature that's added to the a One version of any multiplatform game will likely be on the PS4 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Maybe Sony are waiting for something good to be developed for it, instead of championing it's potential.

It should take an amazing game or concept to sell the thing, not a forced bundle.

I hope for MS's sake, they or developers come up with something to reward the people who will have had that thing push up the cost of the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

If this rumor turned out to be true with some people suggesting that MS are to announce that they will offer a free game as part of the Xbox One bundle would it change anyones mind. one site seemingly said it's going to be FIFA 14. more should be announced tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    If this rumor turned out to be true with some people suggesting that MS are to announce that they will offer a free game as part of the Xbox One bundle would it change anyones mind. one site seemingly said it's going to be FIFA 14. more should be announced tomorrow

If someone was still deciding between them and would have gotten Fifa 14 anyway then this reduces the issue of price by a lot but they'd still need to be leaning towards the ONE a bit to begin with as even with this the PS4 is still cheaper (PS4 + Fifa).

There's also the fact that you could buy the 360 version and not need to rebuy it on ONE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/fifa-14xbox-one-bundle-set-for-gamescom-reveal/0120326

MCV are going with it and as they're a trade magazine for videogame retailers, you'd expect they'd have the inside track. If this is true, it could give the Xbox One a big boost in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

But it's still cheaper to buy a PS4 and FIFA :confused:

I don't see what difference it would make to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Oat23 wrote: »
    But it's still cheaper to buy a PS4 and FIFA :confused:

I don't see what difference it would make to be honest.

It's an attempt to increase the XBO's value without decreasing the price.

As I still have no interest in the Kinect (the main reason for the higher price tag of the XBO), and as you point out, you can get a PS4 with FIFA (even outside of a store's own bundle) cheaper than the above, it won't sway my decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think this is aimed more at parents and casual-ish gamers. They walk into a shop around Christmas time and see two new consoles - one with the biggest selling game in Europe and one without. There'd be a lot of people who would go for the Xbox just because it has FIFA in the box.

sony could counter this....numberious ways to do it to add even more value to the ps4.

sony could counter this....numberious ways to do it to add even more value to the ps4.

They're giving away 4 games with PS+. They kinda already have considering the majority will buy Plus with their PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

They're already giving DriveClub with PS+, as well as a few indie games.

free ps4 plastic uprighty stand valued at 14.99.....free
    do it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

They're giving away 4 games with PS+. They kinda already have considering the majority will buy Plus with their PS4.

Yeah, while that might be a better value proposition to people who know about it, it won't look as good on a display stand in a shop.

Advertisement