Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you choose between MS & Sony's new consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

C14N wrote: »
    Not always though. Ratchet and Clank is a big (if not as big as COD or a game made by the COD devs) third party franchise I can think of that stayed exclusive. Sucker Punch games stayed exclusive to Sony even before the acquisition too. Gears of War was an Xbox exclusive and that was huge.

That being said, if Respawn have specifically said they're not ruling out a PS4 release, then I'd change my opinion and say one will come along.

Ratchet and Clank was published by Sony though, Titanfall is published by EA and we all know how greedy they are.

As for them commenting on the PS4 version, they said "It's not out of the question".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Not always though. Ratchet and Clank is a big (if not as big as COD or a game made by the COD devs) third party franchise I can think of that stayed exclusive. Sucker Punch games stayed exclusive to Sony even before the acquisition too. Gears of War was an Xbox exclusive and that was huge.

That being said, if Respawn have specifically said they're not ruling out a PS4 release, then I'd change my opinion and say one will come along.

Ratchet & Clank's actually owned by Sony, not Insomniac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Not always though. Ratchet and Clank is a big (if not as big as COD or a game made by the COD devs) third party franchise I can think of that stayed exclusive

Ratchet and Clank as big as COD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

GTR63 wrote: »
    Ratchet and Clank as big as COD?

I specifically said it's not as big as COD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"If not as" is kind of like saying "arguably as".

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    "If not as" is kind of like saying "arguably as".

I said it was big, if not as big as COD. I don't see how this could could be interpreted any way other than "it's smaller than COD, but still a big franchise".

I could be wrong, but I think you might be misusing the phrase "If not", which is where the confusion is. "That pint was the best pint I've had all week, if not the best pint I've ever had"

"If not", is used as 'possibly'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Grayditch wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I think you might be misusing the phrase "If not", which is where the confusion is. "That pint was the best pint I've had all week, if not the best pint I've ever had"

"If not", is used as 'possibly'.

Can be interpreted both ways, depending on how it's said but much like sarcasm it can be difficult to convey meaning when typing!

Although, I have to admit I also read it as "possibly" being as big as COD.

To avoid any misinterpretaion a better phrase would've been "Although not as big as COD"

.. But let's not get caught up in semantics here :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I took it as meaning 'even if' and understood what was meant. The games that I can think of that might do CoD numbers like Halo and Gears of War don't by virtue of being only on one system, so there aren't really games that can be used in as big as CoD really. Obviously something else was meant.

So today I went into Smyths (where I previously pre ordered my PS4) to also pre-order Need For Speed and COD.

Just for re-assurance I also asked if i'll definitely be getting my PS4 on launch day, and she said that even with a pre-order it doesn't gurantee me a PS4 on launch day as you're still placed in "queue-ing" system

:mad:

Kind of defeats the puropse of preordering if youre not 100% guranteed one on launch day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ION08 wrote: »
    So today I went into Smyths (where I previously pre ordered my PS4) to also pre-order Need For Speed and COD.

Just for re-assurance I also asked if i'll definitely be getting my PS4 on launch day, and she said that even with a pre-order it doesn't gurantee me a PS4 on launch day as you're still placed in "queue-ing" system

:mad:

Kind of defeats the puropse of preordering if youre not 100% guranteed one on launch day!

When did you pre-order, they are going by a list, so the earlier you did it, the better chance you have, looks like Smyths took to many launch day pre-orders.

Xenji wrote: »
    When did you pre-order, they are going by a list, so the earlier you did it, the better chance you have, looks like Smyths took to many launch day pre-orders.

Yeah exactly, when I pre-ordered I was told it was "guaranteed" - which is what I thought the point of pre-ordering was to begin with. :mad: But now it looks like they weren't keeping track of their Pre-orders to Expected Stock Level ratio and as a result are in over their heads (or possibly just being greedy) -either way very unprofessional and i'm not impressed.

I pre-ordered an Xbox ONE when it was first announced at E3 ...I was one of the first pre-orders in the book but then I went back a few weeks later and changed it to a PS4 .... Youd think i'd still have the same place in the queue but now apparently im 37th!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Yeah exactly, when I pre-ordered I was told it was "guaranteed" - which is what I thought the point of pre-ordering was to begin with. :mad: But now it looks like they weren't keeping track of their Pre-orders to Expected Stock Level ratio and as a result are in over their heads (or possibly just being greedy) -either way very unprofessional and i'm not impressed.

I pre-ordered an Xbox ONE when it was first announced at E3 ...I was one of the first pre-orders in the book but then I went back a few weeks later and changed it to a PS4 .... Youd think i'd still have the same place in the queue but now apparently im 37th!! :mad:

You should still get a launch day one though, they should be at least getting 100-150 consoles per store.

Xenji wrote: »
    You should still get a launch day one though, they should be at least getting 100-150 consoles per store.

That many!? I was thinking i'd be lucky if they get 50 in seeing as im 37th! :)

Just dawned on me now but I wonder what the chances are of a midnight opening on Thursday>Friday!?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Youd think i'd still have the same place in the queue but now apparently im 37th!! :mad:

To be fair, if you kept the same place but in the PS4 queue that would be bumping people who had already pre-ordered the PS4 down the list. Maybe not a big deal for one person, but if a lot of people do it then suddenly you have a lot of people who were high up the list suddenly very far down it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If any FPS fans are still undecided about which console to get check out Titianfall. Its creating a wave of positive reviews.
    The videos look incredible.

Check out IGN's first impressions of the game.

It definitely looks amazing, but thankfully it's coming to PC as well as the Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Tbh I don't think that's a realistic expectation. It wouldn't really be fair for you to skip people who had ordered a PS4 before you.

stevenmu wrote: »
    To be fair, if you kept the same place but in the PS4 queue that would be bumping people who had already pre-ordered the PS4 down the list. Maybe not a big deal for one person, but if a lot of people do it then suddenly you have a lot of people who were high up the list suddenly very far down it.
    danthefan wrote: »
    Tbh I don't think that's a realistic expectation. It wouldn't really be fair for you to skip people who had ordered a PS4 before you.

Well theoretically I placed my preorder before them!! ... I just changed my mind with regards to which console!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Well theoretically I placed my preorder before them!! ... I just changed my mind with regards to which console!

It's not the same console. They wanted a PS4 before you did, they went in and specifically pre-ordered one. You didn't until a few weeks later.

Imagine it like an actual queue, two different lines of people, you can't just jump out of one and expect people in the other queue to let you in at the front.

Well imagine that you pre-ordered a PS4 and another guy pre-ordered an Xbox One. Then, just before launch he changes his mind and wants a PS4 (I know you changed early but I'm using an extreme example) and it bumps you out of the initial launch window for the PS4, you'd probably be pretty annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Backfire wrote: »
    precisely.

But still...he must have a lot of money to dispose of.

are those prices in euro?
    JamboMac wrote: »
    I thought the ps4 was only 400 and some of the games look more expensive then I've seen

I'd imagine those prices are Dollars.

Ah I know yeah... My last post was missing a " :P "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

At this point it's only the price difference that's keeping me on the PS4 boat. The kinect and its possibilities look awesome, but it still doesn't justify the price difference for me. At least not yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lads, an honest question for those of you that have, like myself, preordered both consoles.

Since both companies have reacted to the other machines and strategies, I feel we are getting two very similar consoles. At least the PS3 had a blu-ray player (which was a huge advantage at the time).

I can see myself getting both but just selling on the one that I'm using less.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lads, an honest question for those of you that have, like myself, preordered both consoles.

Since both companies have reacted to the other machines and strategies, I feel we are getting two very similar consoles. At least the PS3 had a blu-ray player (which was a huge advantage at the time).

.... So what's the question??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I guess this is a sound strategy, if you can shift the games you buy and the console you don't want for a decent return. I guess the only draw back here is the way both consoles are media center also. Swapping cables, and booting different consoles for different jobs could be a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

I guess this is a sound strategy, if you can shift the games you buy and the console you don't want for a decent return. I guess the only draw back here is the way both consoles are media center also. Swapping cables, and booting different consoles for different jobs could be a bit of a pain.

Ah sure Microsoft has you covered you can connect the PS4 to the HDMI-In on the Xbox One ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

They both are fairly similar in what they offer at the minute, bar the PS4 being a bit more powerful. Haven't pre ordered & won't get 1 of them until the summer. Leaning towards the PS4 due to the Vita compatability but i'm not entirely sure if you are tethered within 5 metres of the PS4 or that if so its a wee bit pointless.
    I definetly won't be getting both though, did this Gen and I can never ever justified having both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Honestly, these are going to be very similar consoles, any innovative was taken away due to the uproar of core gamers.
    Realistically both consoles will offer fairly similar services with the only differentiation being the kinect which looks awesome so far and only likely to get much better in the future. That's why I've cancelled my pre order and I'm going back for the Xbox again :)

• Advertisement

any innovative was taken away due to the uproar of core gamers.

What was the innovation that gamers got taken away?

Advertisement