Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013: My Study Log

• 20-01-2013 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

<snip>
    My goal in the Leaving cert is 500+. Lets go with 550, sure why not?
    It is my intention to study Computer Science in Trinity College next year :D

Anyway, Im going to use this thread to keep track of my progress and goals. It'll be good to get sh1te out of my head and onto paper...

Subjects I do: (HL)
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    German
    Applied Maths

I reckon Chemistry is my stongest, Physics definitely is my worst.

Anyway, mocks are tomorrow week! Did a fair bit today, writing up my CV now in hope of a summer job, then going to bed... I'll start logging tomorrow.

G'night!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Note to self: Go to bed early on Sundays...

Wrecked in school today... Fell asleep on the way, and in about 3 classes..
    Maths teacher got her appendix out and we've free classes all week :/

Got home, slept for an hour. (Bad idea, woke up like a cranky old man)

Anyway, just did 3 exam questions on Relative velocity in applied Maths.

I'm going to study Bishop for around 40 minutes now...

Ended up doing Plath, hadn't finished revising her.. Done and dusted. Gonna chill for 5 minutes, then do some Maths exam papers for 30 minutes.

Maths isn't happening for me.... 15 minutes and I'm off to bed. Not too happy with today's work. Note to self: Do not have naps.

What I'm going to do tomorrow:
    -Chemical Bonding
    - Mechanics
    - Projectiles
    - Start Bishop

Went to the Chemistry day in Maynooth today.. Not bad, the booklet will be handy anyway... Jut outta the shower, woke me up a bit... Time to get stuck into some Chemical Bonding...

My stupidity never fails to amaze me. Left the booklet in Maynooth. So much for that...

Just got the Chemical bonding chapter done in chemistry, did an exam question.

Moving on to mechanics.

• Advertisement

Change of plan. Procrastinated until 7.15 then ate dinner. Starting Mechanics now :pac:

What I got done this evening:
    - Most of the Mechanics chapter.
    - Quarter of Bishop
    - Third of Projectiles
    - All of Chemical Bonding.

Quite happy with it.

To do tomorrow:
    - Finish mechanics, write up experiments
    - More of bishop
    - Another third of Projectiles
    - German vocab

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭En

Out of curiosity, are you able to sit a mock in Applied Maths?
    I was thinking of taking the subject and started teaching myself at the beginning of this month.
    I have vectors, relative velocity, projectiles, ALM, and differential equations done. I was wondering what state I should be in to be able to pass a mock.

En wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, are you able to sit a mock in Applied Maths?
    I was thinking of taking the subject and started teaching myself at the beginning of this month.
    I have vectors, relative velocity, projectiles, ALM, and differential equations done. I was wondering what state I should be in to be able to pass a mock.

You are indeed. I'm sitting mine in 2 weeks. Well done on teaching yourself, sounds like you're flying through it. You have 4 out of 6 questions done so you would definitely be able to pass a mock. I'd recommend getting exam papers.

Done so far this evening:
    Mechanics
    Bishop
    Projectiles

Delighted. I'm going to do about 40 minutes of German, then I'll do Organic Chemistry 1.

Writing out a target for each night definitely helps. At midterm I'll throw my notes up in the OP

• Advertisement

Did alright in German. Half arsed attemp in chemistry. I'll have to do it again. I feel I'm neglecting Maths. I'm going to do Maths till 10pm then go to bed, I'm wrecked.

Plan for this evening:
    Maths - The Circle, The line
    Chemistry- Fuels & Heats of Reactions
    Applied Maths- Differential Equations
    English - Finish Bishop

Flew through Maths :D Taking a break now, having dinner, then straight into differential equations.

Tonight's update:
    - Great work in Maths, flew through it, restored confidence
    - Got stumped on Differential equations, thankfully I've class tomorrow.
    - Not bad on chemistry, learned the ethanal experiment well and did an exam question
    - Half arsed attempt in English, the school website (which has our notes) is down, the first time I actually need to use it... Murphy's law

*When you're on a roll, don't stop. I shouldn't have stopped after Maths, it went downhill from there.

Having a bath, bringing an Irish essay with me to learn. Then I'm off to bed. Night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

You make me feel ridiculously guilty yanno that? :pac:

Seriously though fair play, its interesting to read what other people are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

Seriously though fair play, its interesting to read what other people are doing.
    Same here, you seem to be doing good I've hit a wall this week got only 2 essays in french done revised four more did a bit of algebra and two chapters of biology two chapters of home economics might start one of these myself actually may give a bit of motivation!

Kenbob wrote: »
    Same here, you seem to be doing good I've hit a wall this week got only 2 essays in french done revised four more did a bit of algebra and two chapters of biology two chapters of home economics might start one of these myself actually may give a bit of motivation!

Sound lads! This has actually spurred me on, writing targets on this make me think "Sh1te! Have to get this done or I look like a knob!"

Great to see the new subforum too :cool:

Back on topic, did nothing last night, was at the Maths yoke. Came like 20th out of 44, could be worse :pac:

Woke up at 8 today, procrastastudied till 11, then left for a match. Didnt get back till 4, had a bath and Im in bits. Im going to start now.

Goals:
    - Maths Paper 1
    - Macbeth

Did a Paper 1 in Maths, highlighted 2 areas I need a brief look over of: Complex numbers and Differentiation of trig

Moving on to Macbeth now. All I need to do is learn the quotes :)

Bad day overall. Procrastinated all morning. Went to a match, got absolutely hammered, came home wrecked. Did a maths paper 1. Had dinner. Realise Ive been scammed for €300 on Adverts. Can't study for the rest of the night. Im gonna watch some breaking bad and then go to bed.

Fresh start in the morning :)

Right, I'm up early, may as well make use of it.
    Getting straight into Macbeth, going to finish it off.

Mocks start tomorrow, I'm purely focusing on the first week of them today, so focusing on English Irish Maths and German

Goals:
    Maths: Revise Complex numbers, integration, do a paper 1 and 2
    English: Finish Macbeth, concentrate on paper 1
    Irish : Learn off essay
    German: Vocab & Grammar I suppose?

• Advertisement

Right, English is done. I'm either coming down with a cold, or else hay fever. Disaster.
    Anyway, Im going to do Maths, its something I can't just half study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

When you said you were going to concentrate on paper 1 in English how did you go about studying it? For paper 1 I just do exam papers.

David1994 wrote: »
    When you said you were going to concentrate on paper 1 in English how did you go about studying it? For paper 1 I just do exam papers.

Yeah I do pretty much the same thing. A friend loaned me two books on essay writing which are amazing:
    The Elements of Style - William Strunk Jr
    Writing Essays - A guide for students in English and the humanities - Routledge Study Guides

Today I'm just going to read through them and note the most important parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Methememb wrote: »
    Yeah I do pretty much the same thing. A friend loaned me two books on essay writing which are amazing:
    The Elements of Style - William Strunk Jr
    Writing Essays - A guide for students in English and the humanities - Routledge Study Guides

Today I'm just going to read through them and note the most important parts.

Nice.I haven't heard of them but might have a look out for them :)
    Sorry one last question which composing do you usually choose? Basically my whole class normally does the short story but it seems to be marked hard..Personal essays are meant to be easier marked also. Thanks :L

David1994 wrote: »
    Nice.I haven't heard of them but might have a look out for them :)
    Sorry one last question which composing do you usually choose? Basically my whole class normally does the short story but it seems to be marked hard..Personal essays are meant to be easier marked also. Thanks :L

I normally do personal essays . It's better IMO because you can write from a personal perspective and add your opinion into it, and weave it into a discussion. Our teacher says its handier to get marks in because it's easier to make the reader feel engaged in it.

I've a headcold and I'm doing sh1te today. Can't focus at all. Im going to try do some complex number questions for around 20 minutes, then Im gonna relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rory95

Hey shane,
    what date is ur app maths mock...mine is on the 8th of feb...looking 4 a few spoilers

mine are in the 7th, but I know exactly what's coming up. SPOILER ALERT:

Question 1: Accelerated Linear Motion
    Question 2: Relative Velocity
    Question 3: Projectiles
    Question 4: Newtons connected particles
    Question 5: Impacts & Collisions
    Question 10: Differential equations

There are also some statics and hydrostatics questions on it. Oh, circular motion too iirc.

Best of luck. :cool:

Things really improved since my last post.
    I watch an episode of breaking bad while eating sweets, curtains closed. Bliss
    Then I get some (hopefully) good news. Hit the books again and fly through 3/2 paper ones :D shows the difference your mindset can make!

Anyway, I'm starving. I'm going to finish my CV, have dinner, then read the English books I was on about. I'll watch another episode of breaking bad then go to bed around nine. Mocks start in the morning. English and Maths

• Advertisement

Right. Mocks in the morning. English paper 1 and Maths Paper 1.
    I'll be honest, I'm not too confident at this moment in time. But then again, its only the mocks. I'll do my best, after that who cares?
    Anyway, bag is packed, Im throwing on BB now, then going to bed. Night all, good luck to anyone starting the mocks.

Advertisement