Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compass Recommendation

Options
  • 20-01-2013 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi there,

Looking to get back into hiking,day hikes initially and eventually moving onto hikes over multiple days (all within Ireland).

I used to do a bit when younger but not in the last few years, kept fit through sport since.

Anyway was looking at getting a compass and refreshing my memory on how to use them.

Which in the below link would you recommend? Bearing in mind that I want it to be of use in the future and not just for now.

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/index.php?cPath=27_374_121

Or am I behind the times and everybody is now using GPS systems on their walks?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

the silvas expedition 4

If money is tight the field 7 will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No - just no. GPS is very handy. I use it on my phone to log my hikes. But there is no substitute for a compass and paper map - they never run out of battery or care about the strength of the signal.

What is the difference between one compass and another? - they all point to mag north. I know the Silva 4 has a magnifying glass - but does that justify doubling the price over the Field 7? At the end of the day you can do what you need with a button compass if push came to shove.

I use a compass, have no gps and no desire to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Hi there,

Looking to get back into hiking,day hikes initially and eventually moving onto hikes over multiple days (all within Ireland).

I used to do a bit when younger but not in the last few years, kept fit through sport since.

Anyway was looking at getting a compass and refreshing my memory on how to use them.

Which in the below link would you recommend? Bearing in mind that I want it to be of use in the future and not just for now.

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/index.php?cPath=27_374_121

Thanks in advance

I always recommend the Silva Type 4/54, but get the one with the red lanyard - this is the 'normal' compass and is divided into 360 degrees (as one would expect...) but the 'Military' version has a green lanyard and is divided into 6300 milliradians - a real pain if you are walking or training with someone who is using degrees ... 'We are now going to walk for 1km on a bearing of 34 degrees' - 'How many milliradians is that?'

Avoid green lanyards at all costs (unless you are in the military...) - if the Type 4/54 is too expensive (aka Expedition 4 - €34.99), then the Ranger 3 (€24.99) is a better option than the Field 7 (€18.99).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

I have a gps and I personally think its the handiest piece of kit I have. Great for giving you a grid ref , tracking how long you have walked height gained , route taken , love it . I also have maps for the various areas and a compass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I'm pretty much like yourself, I've a basic gps though I hardly ever use it, it's really just in my pack as a back up if I'm completely lost.

duckysauce wrote: »
    I have a gps and I personally think its the handiest piece of kit I have. Great for giving you a grid ref , tracking how long you have walked height gained , route taken , love it . I also have maps for the various areas and a compass.

I'm one of the types who likes to go on all day hikes from summit to summit, and then that's it, no interest in how many miles I did or how much altitude I gained overall, or the precise route or grid references. Some people like to log the route, for me its mostly about getting to the summit and if there's an obstacle like some cliff with a gully or an exposed ridge, so much the better. I'd probably like one if I had one...but it's gonna take a lot to convince me that a buff isn't the handiest piece of kit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

I think the Silva 4 with red lanyard is the way to go. Look on it as an investment. I made the mistake of opting for a cheaper one and discovered too late that it was missing the luminous markings for night navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Silva 4 is good. Here's a tuition video on taking a bearing: http://tinyurl.com/auuy5uy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Silva 4 without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 BriangC

I have a Silva 4. However its not much good having a map and compass if you can't use them properly when you really need them. The video above from Nathan is a handy start.

I also have a GPS which I carry with me for some reason but rarely use. I use my eyes for directions mostly :)

Advertisement