Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat out of sorts for last few days - vet time?

• 21-01-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

not sure whther i'm just being a worry-wart here but some advice would be really appreciated.

out kitty sheldon is a real creature of habit, same behaviour at the same times each day if that makes sense. wake - food - play -nap - play - nap - food - play - sleep, with lots of following us around and chatting in between. last few days though he's just slept. and not his normal sleep where he'll wake if you get up off the sofa and follow you in the hope you might have food or a toy! this is deep, deep sleep where he doesn't move or seem to hear us moving about. not playful or interested in anything 'cept sleep. he's not off his food though, but that's the only things he wakes for. is that normal? loathe to bring him to the vet yet, as he's not a good traveller.

please tell me i'm being really silly! :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'd suggest listening to your intuition and bring him to the vet - for your own peace of mind.

(Sheldon is a brill cat name btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

You know your cat and they are creatures of habit. So, if he's acting out of sorts you're best getting him checked out. They dont have to go off their food for something to be wrong with them, cats tend to go quiet when they're in pain unlike a dog where it's written all over their face.

Does he have a litter tray in the house? If so is there anything unusual there? Is he tender to touch anywhere on his body?Has he a swollen abdomen/bite mark? What colour are his gums (they should be a healthy pink colour)? Is his "third eyelid" showing at all? Is he drinking water?

Cats are incredibly stoic animals and they will literally do anything not to show there's something wrong with them, so err on the side of caution and get him checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd take him to the vet for a check up. A couple of years ago our cat went a bit quiet and lethargic for a few days. We assumed he was just feeling a bit off form until he wouldn't eat some roast chicken, he loves roast chicken. When we took him to the vet that day he had an extremely high temperature. Cats tend to try to hide being ill. Better safe than sorry, I never ignore my gut now and I'd rather seem neurotic than lose him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Better be safe than sorry is always my attitude. Its probably only a small thing but you dont know that until you see the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would check in with the vet as well. Anything out of the ordinary might not be a bad sign, but you have to be 100% sure...which needs the expert advice of a vet, imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

lethergic cat needs to be vet checked.
    As has been said, cats hide illness very well and if there is any big change in behaviour it needs to be checked out.

Advertisement