Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London

• 21-01-2013 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    I'm looking to take my mam away to London overnight in March for a theatre break...we're hoping to go see Les Mis (I've always wanted to go, I swear, it's not just cos of the film!!).

Anyway I've never been to London and just wanted to know the best airport to fly into and where's good to stay for going to a show. I've been comparing getting a show&stay deal vs doing both seperately though I think I'd rather buy the tix in advance as we're going with the sole purpose of seeing this show!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

Hi There

London is a really great place, especially for shows!

London is very big so if you dont want to travel far to get to the show perhaps look for a nice B&B or hotel. Central London is quite expensive to stay. So it depends on your budget. Heathrow airport is very close to west london if you stay on that side and there is loads of transport to get anywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Bambi2 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I'm looking to take my mam away to London overnight in March for a theatre break...we're hoping to go see Les Mis (I've always wanted to go, I swear, it's not just cos of the film!!).

Anyway I've never been to London and just wanted to know the best airport to fly into and where's good to stay for going to a show. I've been comparing getting a show&stay deal vs doing both seperately though I think I'd rather buy the tix in advance as we're going with the sole purpose of seeing this show!!

Thanks in advance!

London is a great city but it can be pricey.

You have a few airport options:

Heathrow - most convenient as its connected to the Tube. Also the most expensive to fly to
    London City Airport - a small more central airport well connected with the city centre due to its proximity
    London Gatwick - About 30 minutes from the city on the Gatwick Express
    London Stansted - About 45 minutes from the city via the Stansted Express

When pricing your flights, also work out how much the train will cost you too. You might find that Heathrow is the pricier route but cheapear overall when you factor in you can get a tube to the city.

The theatre district is located in the West End and includes the areas of Westminister, Soho, Mayfair, Covent Garden to name but a few.

I generally use trivago.com when booking hotels as it seems to capture the best deals.

If you dont buy your theatre tickets in advance, you can chance queuing up early morning to get discounted tickets.

London is great, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭padski08

If flying to Gatwick, avoid the Gatwick Express!

Its a waste of money. Book on www.thetrainline.com
    Chose Gatwick Airport to Victoria (same as the express)

The journey is about 10 minutes longer than express as trains stop numerous times, but you can get fares for £5 instead of £18 for the express

• Registered Users Posts: 7 herlip

What web site offer the best value and seat location for the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 C81

To stay in Westminster is expensive. If u stay out about bayswater,Notting hill, Kensington areas they tend to be abit cheaper.(areas close to Hyde park)easy access via underground and by bus into the show areas. London is easy to get around.
    I find stansted easier to move around. And not as hectic checking in etc. compared to the larger airports.buses are cheap, takes about an hour but you can get to see abit of the city on the way in and leaves you into the centre.use the underground then to go anywhere about the city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement