Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RA position UCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Did it for a a couple of years including summers. Got offered sex by drunk young wans nearly a decade younger than me a few times. Stole a rake of booze from parties that I was forced to break up, but only if the lads were actin the absolute bollocks. Mostly just sat in the office, watched movies, and avoided leaving the desk or doing patrols at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Did it for a a couple of years including summers. Got offered sex by drunk young wans nearly a decade younger than me a few times. Stole a rake of booze from parties that I was forced to break up, but only if the lads were actin the absolute bollocks. Mostly just sat in the office, watched movies, and avoided leaving the desk or doing patrols at all costs.

Well that is complete shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

****e as in lies? Nah, I'm pretty lacking in motivation to lie about something so inconsequential. I'm already a big man on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Had a second interview today.. took 5 minutes at most. They said emails will go out next week informing those who got the job! Fingers crossed..

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Had a second interview today.. took 5 minutes at most. They said emails will go out next week informing those who got the job! Fingers crossed..

mines in the afternoon tmoro, #pray4me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

brownlad wrote: »
    mines in the afternoon tmoro, #pray4me

haha good luck! Just hoping the next week doesnt drag by..

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

haha good luck! Just hoping the next week doesnt drag by..

I ended up declining the 2nd round interview. I couldn't fathom how a PhD student could spare 3 weeks from the lab/library for training.

Good luck guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

Hi everyone,

Hope it's ok to resuscitate the thread (should I make a new one instead?), just wondering if anyone is applying to be an RA next year. I am planning to apply and have a few questions:

1) To everyone who was an RA, "was it worth it"? Do you feel like the free lodging was fair compensation or do you regret your experience?

2) Have you ever felt unsafe while patrolling, or breaking up parties? I'm a relatively small 20y/o girl and wondering if it will play against me or if it could put me in difficult situations.

3) How do you recommend presenting oneself in an application? I am planning to emphasise prior on-campus roles and administrative/customer service experiences I've had.

Thanks!

Lucie

Hi everyone,

Hope it's ok to resuscitate the thread (should I make a new one instead?), just wondering if anyone is applying to be an RA next year. I am planning to apply and have a few questions:

1) To everyone who was an RA, "was it worth it"? Do you feel like the free lodging was fair compensation or do you regret your experience?

2) Have you ever felt unsafe while patrolling, or breaking up parties? I'm a relatively small 20y/o girl and wondering if it will play against me or if it could put me in difficult situations.

3) How do you recommend presenting oneself in an application? I am planning to emphasise prior on-campus roles and administrative/customer service experiences I've had.

Thanks!

Lucie

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pacni

DreamByDay wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Lucie

Hi Lucie!

At risk of giving myself away, I'll be somewhat vague in my answers, though I imagine some people will guess anyway.

I'm currently in my 2nd year as an RA (I reapplied so it can't be that bad!) so am happy to answer your questions.

1) I tell people this often - your experience of being an RA is really what you make of it. It's very easy to get caught up in the stress of it and become cynical about the system and occasional abuse you might receive from residents. However, if you don't let it get to you it can actually be a very enjoyable experience. You meet so many different people, get a good few perks (Christmas dinner, Reslife events, occasional leniency) and all of the other RAs are generally like-minded people leading to you becoming a very close dysfunctional family over the course of the year. Honestly I don't think free lodging alone is enough compensation for what we do. It really doesn't seem worth it when you're being woken at 4am for a lockout or noise complaint or some drunk person who can't find their apartment. Having said that, the convenience of living on campus is a massive advantage, especially it taking the stress away from finding somewhere to live in an already oversaturated market, never mind the endless landlord/lease/bills problems. Additionally, with the introduction of some new policies (soon to be announced), the workload has actually lessened significantly. Some responsibilities are being taken away from the RAs leading to shorter office hours and a smaller likelihood of being woken when on call.

2) An RA is never expected to put themselves in a position where they feel uncomfortable or unsafe. There is an entire network of support (SRAs, Security, Campus Services) that you can call on should you ever need them. Residences would much prefer that you called for help than you trying to deal with something you don't think you can handle. Security generally accompany you on any patrols anyway and you can always call them to come with you. Parties are never as bad as people think. Residents are largely very cooperative and know that you're just doing your job. In the rare event that it gets out of hand, you can ask for backup from any one of the supports offered to you.

3) I can't give too much away about the application process but focusing on customer service is a good call. At the end of the day, residents are paying customers and you are providing them with a service - a lot of our job is focused on good customer service. We also provide an extensive pastoral care service that I honestly feel is under-utilised, RAs are there at any time and our priority is the welfare of the students. Enthusiasm about Reslife events would also be looked upon favourably. Other than that, generally just being a friendly, approachable person would be big advantage.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I believe that greater transparency between the RAs and students can only improve relations, we're all nice people!

• Advertisement

Hi Pacni,

Thank you so much for this informative reply! :D You've very much eased my worries re: safety on the job. I know I'm good at handling distressed people, etc. but I was definitely wondering exactly how much of the security work we perform alone. I have not lived on campus before and the Boards threads about Reslife can tend to get a bit conflictual/extreme in the anecdotal evidence...some of which I suspect is not entirely accurate. :p

Regarding the process of becoming an RA, I'm mad at myself for sending in my application before seeing your reply!! :rolleyes:

At the advice of a roommate I ended up spending a large chunk of my letter focusing on leadership skills and previous "community management/supervisory" experience (scouts chief, supervising student society trips)...oh well. I don't know if I came across as friendly, but I mentioned customer service experience and experience assisting students and clients (student ambassador, tutor, on-campus volunteering) as well as previous admin experience, which will hopefully be enough to progress to interviews!! I'm really excited about the idea of being an RA so hopefully it will come across in the letter.

Anyways - sorry for rambling about my application. As a side note, I didn't know RAs offered pastoral services! It's great to hear though, because I know it's a common practice in the US and very underrated as a service that students are more likely to make use of that a "scary" appointment to a therapist, mental health professional etc. I know for me it would definitely seem more "doable"!

pacni wrote: »
    Hi Lucie!

x

Forgot to include my actual questions in my last message!! Sorry:

1. I was wondering how much of the job is done as part of a team? The form seems to imply a large amount of team/partnered work (which I would love, I mean it might quite lonely during office hours haha) but from previous Boards threads I get the impression people describe RA as a very individual job e.g. you do your office hour, patrol, do your paperwork etc. alone.

2. You partly answered this in your last reply, but to clarify the "spirit" of being an RA is more assisting/helping out etc. students, seen as "clients", rather than "supervising" or being "in charge" of students then? (I fear I may have come across badly in this case, what with focusing on leadership experience :pac: )

Hi Pacni,

Thank you so much for this informative reply! :D You've very much eased my worries re: safety on the job. I know I'm good at handling distressed people, etc. but I was definitely wondering exactly how much of the security work we perform alone. I have not lived on campus before and the Boards threads about Reslife can tend to get a bit conflictual/extreme in the anecdotal evidence...some of which I suspect is not entirely accurate. :p

Regarding the process of becoming an RA, I'm mad at myself for sending in my application before seeing your reply!! :rolleyes:

At the advice of a roommate I ended up spending a large chunk of my letter focusing on leadership skills and previous "community management/supervisory" experience (scouts chief, supervising student society trips)...oh well. I don't know if I came across as friendly, but I mentioned customer service experience and experience assisting students and clients (student ambassador, tutor, on-campus volunteering) as well as previous admin experience, which will hopefully be enough to progress to interviews!! I'm really excited about the idea of being an RA so hopefully it will come across in the letter.

Anyways - sorry for rambling about my application. As a side note, I didn't know RAs offered pastoral services! It's great to hear though, because I know it's a common practice in the US and very underrated as a service that students are more likely to make use of that a "scary" appointment to a therapist, mental health professional etc. I know for me it would definitely seem more "doable"!

It's not accurate at all. There are occasional incidents that are out of the ordinary but they are rare and backup is always available.

You sound like you have a solid application! I would start preparing for the interviews (there are two) as they can be quite intense. Overall you sound like you have a good chance with that much experience.
    Forgot to include my actual questions in my last message!! Sorry:

1. I was wondering how much of the job is done as part of a team? The form seems to imply a large amount of team/partnered work (which I would love, I mean it might quite lonely during office hours haha) but from previous Boards threads I get the impression people describe RA as a very individual job e.g. you do your office hour, patrol, do your paperwork etc. alone.

2. You partly answered this in your last reply, but to clarify the "spirit" of being an RA is more assisting/helping out etc. students, seen as "clients", rather than "supervising" or being "in charge" of students then? (I fear I may have come across badly in this case, what with focusing on leadership experience :pac: )

1. All of your job is done as a team. Each residence has 6 RAs that work on rotation, you will become very close to these 6 as you spend a lot of time with them. Then you will have a partner who you work every shift with - it's always one male and one female partnered together. You sort and deliver the post together, work the office hours together and are there for each other whenever either needs help. It's important that you get on well with your partner as you will be spending a lot of time with them. Then there are the 6 Senior RAs who also are partnered and work on rotation. Then of course there is Security who you will get to know well. There is always support in any aspect of the job should you need it.

2. I would definitely lean more towards assisting/helping out. There is a reason that all RAs are current students also living on campus and not just hired staff. We exist as a bridge between the students and the upper management. We all know exactly what it's like to be a student, most of us know what it's like to live on campus and we always act in the students' best interests. Yes there is a disciplinary aspect to the role but it goes no further with us than writing a report. We have nothing to do with fines or disciplinary action. This is decided by Residences/Estate Services - all we do is write the reports. I know that personally I try my hardest to achieve the best outcome for the students. It's not a black and white job, some discretion is allowed. Of course, there reaches a point where I can't do any more, it is my job after all and the rules exist for a reason. 'Power tripping' is a common enough occurrence but generally the RAs who do don't last very long. You are not there just to tell students what to do, you are there to ensure the policies are followed as far as possible to create the most comfortable and safe environment you can for all residents on campus. This is where the pastoral role also becomes important.

It's not accurate at all. There are occasional incidents that are out of the ordinary but they are rare and backup is always available.

You sound like you have a solid application! I would start preparing for the interviews (there are two) as they can be quite intense. Overall you sound like you have a good chance with that much experience.

1. All of your job is done as a team. Each residence has 6 RAs that work on rotation, you will become very close to these 6 as you spend a lot of time with them. Then you will have a partner who you work every shift with - it's always one male and one female partnered together. You sort and deliver the post together, work the office hours together and are there for each other whenever either needs help. It's important that you get on well with your partner as you will be spending a lot of time with them. Then there are the 6 Senior RAs who also are partnered and work on rotation. Then of course there is Security who you will get to know well. There is always support in any aspect of the job should you need it.

2. I would definitely lean more towards assisting/helping out. There is a reason that all RAs are current students also living on campus and not just hired staff. We exist as a bridge between the students and the upper management. We all know exactly what it's like to be a student, most of us know what it's like to live on campus and we always act in the students' best interests. Yes there is a disciplinary aspect to the role but it goes no further with us than writing a report. We have nothing to do with fines or disciplinary action. This is decided by Residences/Estate Services - all we do is write the reports. I know that personally I try my hardest to achieve the best outcome for the students. It's not a black and white job, some discretion is allowed. Of course, there reaches a point where I can't do any more, it is my job after all and the rules exist for a reason. 'Power tripping' is a common enough occurrence but generally the RAs who do don't last very long. You are not there just to tell students what to do, you are there to ensure the policies are followed as far as possible to create the most comfortable and safe environment you can for all residents on campus. This is where the pastoral role also becomes important.

Thank you so much for the advice :D

I didn't know there were two interviews, I'm assuming group+individual? I am planning to prepare stuff like (1) discussing how my experience was relevant, (2) "describe a time when..."-type questions, and (3) "what would you do if..."-type questions. And then just generally coming across as a nice person, hopefully! :rolleyes:

When you say the interviews are intense, do you mean in terms of being asked questions that are difficult to answer without being very knowledgeable about residences/RA-ing already, or more in terms of finding quick answers? Would you mind sharing how you prepared when you interviewed yourself? (I'm not sure what's the limit of polite things to ask so please shoot me down if you feel these questions are not ok to ask by the way!!)

1. Thanks so much for letting me know - I'm really happy to hear our work is structured in teams/partnerships - seems like it could be really fun/rewarding !! :p Do RAs live together or are they scattered across floors/ apartment for easy access in case residents need help?

2. Really good to hear also re: being there to ensure the best possible experience for students, I don't mind writing up reports etc. but my "goal" in applying to be an RA is definitely not playing the bad guy or going on a power trip. Hopefully I get a chance to explain that in the interviews because my cover letter kinda ruined that, what with being all about how I'm used to managing/supervising people :rolleyes:

You've helped me so much by giving me a better idea of what the role entails, and I am actually even more motivtated now than before (doing shifts alone + an "authority" rather than "servicing" role were the two aspects that I was not too enthusiastic about, and you thankfully clarified how this wasn't actually the case!). So, thank you!!

Thank you so much for the advice :D

I didn't know there were two interviews, I'm assuming group+individual? I am planning to prepare stuff like (1) discussing how my experience was relevant, (2) "describe a time when..."-type questions, and (3) "what would you do if..."-type questions. And then just generally coming across as a nice person, hopefully! :rolleyes:

When you say the interviews are intense, do you mean in terms of being asked questions that are difficult to answer without being very knowledgeable about residences/RA-ing already, or more in terms of finding quick answers? Would you mind sharing how you prepared when you interviewed yourself? (I'm not sure what's the limit of polite things to ask so please shoot me down if you feel these questions are not ok to ask by the way!!)

1. Thanks so much for letting me know - I'm really happy to hear our work is structured in teams/partnerships - seems like it could be really fun/rewarding !! :p Do RAs live together or are they scattered across floors/ apartment for easy access in case residents need help?

2. Really good to hear also re: being there to ensure the best possible experience for students, I don't mind writing up reports etc. but my "goal" in applying to be an RA is definitely not playing the bad guy or going on a power trip. Hopefully I get a chance to explain that in the interviews because my cover letter kinda ruined that, what with being all about how I'm used to managing/supervising people :rolleyes:

You've helped me so much by giving me a better idea of what the role entails, and I am actually even more motivtated now than before (doing shifts alone + an "authority" rather than "servicing" role were the two aspects that I was not too enthusiastic about, and you thankfully clarified how this wasn't actually the case!). So, thank you!!

That would be an appropriate way to prepare for the interviews. They are both individual interviews. I honestly can't remember a great deal of what I was asked in either of them. I have a vague recollection of the first interview being quite general, mostly about you and your experience, then the second being more specific to the role. I'll answer your first question in my response to your second - I had no idea what to expect. By intense I mean that they were significantly more than what I was expecting and thus I had done very little preparation. I had never lived on campus either so my knowledge of it was quite little, though I'm sure it would help if you did know some.

RAs are all scattered across the residences, which you might think isn't ideal, but when you work so much and spend so much time with these people, you'd prefer not to have to live with them too. You are always put in an apartment with at least 1 other RA/SRA, so you aren't the only one. With regards to easy access, that's not really the attitude we take. Of course, should circumstances need it, a RA living in the building can help out but most of the time we aren't expected to do anything if we aren't on duty. If anything, it's actually discouraged (except for pastoral elements), residents should always be directed to the RA on duty even if there's an off duty one living next door.

I'm very glad I changed your opinion of the role. There is a great lack of transparency in what we actually do and I feel like it leads to some points of contention amongst the residence. Please don't hesitate to ask me anymore questions, otherwise best of luck with the application process!

That would be an appropriate way to prepare for the interviews. They are both individual interviews. I honestly can't remember a great deal of what I was asked in either of them. I have a vague recollection of the first interview being quite general, mostly about you and your experience, then the second being more specific to the role. I'll answer your first question in my response to your second - I had no idea what to expect. By intense I mean that they were significantly more than what I was expecting and thus I had done very little preparation. I had never lived on campus either so my knowledge of it was quite little, though I'm sure it would help if you did know some.

RAs are all scattered across the residences, which you might think isn't ideal, but when you work so much and spend so much time with these people, you'd prefer not to have to live with them too. You are always put in an apartment with at least 1 other RA/SRA, so you aren't the only one. With regards to easy access, that's not really the attitude we take. Of course, should circumstances need it, a RA living in the building can help out but most of the time we aren't expected to do anything if we aren't on duty. If anything, it's actually discouraged (except for pastoral elements), residents should always be directed to the RA on duty even if there's an off duty one living next door.

I'm very glad I changed your opinion of the role. There is a great lack of transparency in what we actually do and I feel like it leads to some points of contention amongst the residence. Please don't hesitate to ask me anymore questions, otherwise best of luck with the application process!

Thank you so much for all this useful information!! From what I understand there will still be people applying and interviews won't start until the very end of the month so for now I will sit back and wait to hear from them - hopefully I get an interview and then I'll prepare as you recommended! I'll let you know what omes out of it - thanks again so much for all your help :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

Hey, just wondering, did you get an interview?

b0gg3r wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering, did you get an interview?

Hey, yes I had my interview yesterday. It was kind of disconcerting (the interviewers were going through their list of questions without really looking at me while I was trying to answer them... :-/).

Anyways, we're meant to hear back after the break I think :-)

Yeah, I found the same, but the second interview is far more personal. Best of luck with it anyway.

Yeah, I found the same, but the second interview is far more personal. Best of luck with it anyway.

What do you mean by more personal? And, good luck to you too :-) Hope we both get callbacks!

• Advertisement

Thanks, but I'm not actually going for an interview just yet. I'm currently an RA so went through the process last year.

By more personal, I mean that the questions are more about you and what would you do in various scenarios. The also try to get a good idea of your current skillet and see how much training you would require.

Thanks, but I'm not actually going for an interview just yet. I'm currently an RA so went through the process last year.

By more personal, I mean that the questions are more about you and what would you do in various scenarios. The also try to get a good idea of your current skillet and see how much training you would require.

Oh, sorry! I thought you were a fellow applicant :-)

Thanks for letting me about the second interview, I hope what I would do in most situations isn't too different from what we're meant to do...

I was asked in the first interview what I'd do as a young female if a bunch of drunk lads got in my face and I pretty much said, at this point they're not going to listen to me so I'd probably get security as they're more likely to listen then...I hope I didn't kill my chances!

That's literally what we are trained to do.

That's literally what we are trained to do.

Ha, good to know! I was a bit worried coming out of the interview because I realise it looks like I am not self-reliant/able to handle drunk people but ... wouldn't really want to be an RA if I was in fact expected to keep 'arguing' with drunk people who aren't listening anyhow! ;-)

Anyone else here got second interview for the RA position? :-) Really excited about this!!

Are they sending out interviews now?

Are they sending out interviews now?

Just got my second interview invite yeah :-) for after the holidays.

By the way, does anyone know the answers to the following questions:

1. Is it possible to be an RA during the summer semester (rather than move out in May)? If so do I mention it at the interview or...?

2. Are you asked what residence you prefer (and if so any opinions on what residence would be relatively calm and friendly)?

3. Any interview tips? :-)

1. Yup, it's a slightly different job though. I've never done it, but I understand that applications open in the next few weeks.
    2. You are, I don't know how much it matters though. Many don't get their preference however. I don't feel like there's a huge difference between the on-campus accommodations in terms of volume, perhaps Roebuck is a bit quieter. Obviously Roebuck is the nicest accommodation and it's wildly believed to be the easiest RA job.

3. Be yourself, sell yourself well, but be relaxed. The people interviewing you are nice people (though maybe deep down). Pacni might have more advice for you.

• Advertisement

1. Yup, it's a slightly different job though. I've never done it, but I understand that applications open in the next few weeks.
    2. You are, I don't know how much it matters though. Many don't get their preference however. I don't feel like there's a huge difference between the on-campus accommodations in terms of volume, perhaps Roebuck is a bit quieter. Obviously Roebuck is the nicest accommodation and it's wildly believed to be the easiest RA job.

3. Be yourself, sell yourself well, but be relaxed. The people interviewing you are nice people (though maybe deep down). Pacni might have more advice for you.

Thanks b0gg3r, that's very good to know! :D Does this means there'll be a separate application process for summer RA-ing then? I guess I'll keep an eye on the Residences website :P

I was just on the Roebuck side of campus earlier today actually, and found it really nice and quiet, I guess if I'm asked I'll express my preference (or maybe Glenomena) but not hope for anything then!

Thanks for all the info and advice, all that's left now is for me to practice my 'selling points' I suppose :p

Advertisement