Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RA position UCD

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

Yeah there is, I don't know much about it. I don't even know if they publicly advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pacni

Just to respond to some more things brought up here...

They generally don't ask which residence you would prefer to work in as you don't get a choice. They very intentionally create their teams based on the strengths and weaknesses of the RAs and place them in residences accordingly. Of course Merville/Glen will be significantly busier than Blackrock and thus the more outgoing, confident RAs are generally Merville/Glen. Conversely Blackrock being so far away and the slightly different living situation, generally requires a more mature and responsible RA as they are left on their own quite a bit. I would strongly advise not stating a particular preference as you are unlikely to get it.

With regards to summer RA there are only positions available in Blackrock and they are only open to current or previous RAs. They are not advertised and only offered directly to current RAs. Campus is run slightly differently in the summer in that it is run like a hotel. There are various conferences and schemes that use campus accommodation and are provided with a slightly better service than the students would be. This comes in the form of a 24 hour reception which wasn't standard until recently, a room/apartment cleaning service etc. For this, 'Front of House' staff are recruited to run the reception as well as 'Auditors' and 'Runners' rather than RAs. It's a very different type of job. Blackrock however only has summer Smurfit students so the RA role still applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

pacni wrote: »
    x

Hi Pacni, thanks for the info - very interesting! I'll avoid shooting myself in the foot by stating a preference in this case! Also interesting to hear about how residences are run over the summer - it does make sense that they'd want a more professional-grade service for conferences, etc. Hope everything is going well for you

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

pacni wrote: »
    They generally don't ask which residence you would prefer to work in as you don't get a choice.

For this, 'Front of House' staff are recruited to run the reception as well as 'Auditors' and 'Runners' rather than RAs.

Ah okay, I know a few who were asked their preference, I thought it was a standard question.

What's a "runner"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Oghogho

How many days a week do RA's work?

• Advertisement
Advertisement