Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messed up UPC connection :(

• 21-01-2013 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I need your help...I tried changing our UPC security to WEP to try sort out a connection problem that my housemate was having trying to connect to UPC. It was suggested that we change the security to WEP to help get her connected. So, I followed the online instructions from UPC to change our security and it seems I have done something to block our connection...When I open up my network connections the UPC connection has a big red x beside it! I am on a neighbours connection at the mo! Any suggestions as to how to restore to factory settings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Is there a little recessed button on the back you can stick a pen into? Hold a pen into that for 15 secs, that will reset the router. The security key then goes back to the default one ( written on the underside of the router)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The problem is the connection is still stored with the old wpa2 password. You need to find the saved connections on you laptop and delete them, then re connect with the new password.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Cool guys, thanks very much! Problem solved! :) Still can't get my housemates laptop connected though. She has a vista laptop that will connect to other upc connections except for ours...any ideas perhaps what could be up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

In my experience thats a driver issue. Try updating the driver for the network card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Not a UPC issue
    Its vista and is inability to connect to WPA encrypted networks.
    You van change to wep no problem.....
    You need to setup the connections again on all your devices though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

WEP is completely insecure, you might as well disable encryption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy#Flaws

Wep and Mac filtering together should be fine in any home situation..,

Having said that...get vista off that laptop and install windows 7.
    Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

Have you tried connecting an external ariel to your friends laptop to see if this cures the problem?

It may not be due to vista at all.

Have a look at the signal strength the laptop reports, if it is low than that may explain why its not connecting. Adding an external ariel may increase the signal strength enough to allow the laptop to connect properly.

Wotty wrote: »
    Have you tried connecting an external ariel to your friends laptop to see if this cures the problem?

It may not be due to vista at all.

Have a look at the signal strength the laptop reports, if it is low than that may explain why its not connecting. Adding an external ariel may increase the signal strength enough to allow the laptop to connect properly.
    Vista is unable to connect to WPA encrypted networks properly.

Advertisement