Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cross drilled & slotted brake disks

Options
  • 21-01-2013 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Well lads, my front brake disks are slightly warped on my TDI Golf and the nct is coming up so I need new ones. I've decided to upgrade to cross drilled and slotted disks, they’re completely pointless but they look nice and only cost about €30 more than solid ones on Mick’s Garage. Anyway I came across some nice ones on ECStuning.com and they only cost about €100, only problem is they have to be shipped from the States and that costs about another €100 and I’m fairly sure Enda will want to fleece me when they get into the country for buying something outside of the EU. Then I tried Demontweeks, they have some good ones too for about the same price, only trouble there is they only have rear ones. Does anyone know of anywhere within the EU selling them online with a reasonable shipping cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

drilled discs aren't such a great idea....if you managed to warp a set of discs already, you must be fairly heavy on the brakes. Drilled discs have a tendency to crack from the edge of the holes. Another thing to note is a lot of time it isn't actually the disc that is warping. What you are experiencing is pad deposit left on the face of the disc and when you brake the pad is pressing against disc then pad then disc then pad giving a pulsating sensation

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

No, it's a GT TDI so there's slotted rotors already on it,the slots are barely visable on one and completely gone off the other...i thought drilled ones would be fairly tough seen as they're on every modern fast car,as for the hard breaking,i'm just not a morning person and college starts at 9 ha.....I'd settle for slotted ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭kdevitt

EBC should supply drilled or slotted discs. http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Dimpled discs shouldn't crack. I've dimpled and grooved discs and had no problems at all with them. I got them from 3G brakes up the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-Mk2-19E-1-3-8-83-10-91-Drilled-Front-Brake-Discs-/180463321370?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item2a0473c11a

mintzbitz on ebay are very high quality. I have a set of cross drilled discs from them on a TT 225 and there are no complaints. Good shipping to Ireland also.
    ps I know thats the MK2 but Im sure they have something suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

you have to find out why old discs are warped on first place, they not suppose to .... tbh, regardless how much worn.

check ,first, your brake system fluid, front calipers, caliper brake cylinder may be seized in some position, caliper drives seized, golfs has bad front hub bearings, if wheel had been hit on kerb , hub twist bearing,,... not much.. maybe some microns... it is enough brake disk go slightly wrong way, which makes brake disks constantly touching brake pads, ... brake disks over heat, and getting wrapped.

just my 2 cents ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Two things here.

The NCT does not check for disc warping, only effectiveness

If there is still plenty of "meat" left on the discs, just get them skimmed in any decent machine shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

If you want better brakes bigger discs are the way to go. 312mm discs are a straight bolt on upgrade on your car, you will need the discs and caliper carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

any decent motor factors should be able to order ya ebc slotted or drilled or slotted and drilled. not much more than normal disks.

and while your ordering get ebc pads too. just there budget ones. there far better than the normal over the counter stuff.

cos its good practice to change pads with new disks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Look here:

http://stores.ebay.ie/sportbrakediscs

If there's no discs for your car - ask.

I'm very happy to use discs from them on second car now, no problem whatsoever. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Neilw wrote: »
    If you want better brakes bigger discs are the way to go. 312mm discs are a straight bolt on upgrade on your car, you will need the discs and caliper carriers.

I made this upgrade on my old TDI golf and it was one of the best mods i ever did to any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

whatever you buy, make sure youll have chance return for warranty, as your new disks may go warped .. and youll be able change them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Mtec brakes up north can and are fairly cheap.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Disclose uprated brakes to your insurer I'd suggest.

Why?

Do you inform your insurer of tyre changes and oil changes? :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why?

Performance upgrade.

A reasonable underwriter might ask "Why do you need more powerful brakes? Are you driving too fast?".

tossy wrote: »
    Do you inform your insurer of tyre changes and oil changes? :D

Nope.

Performance upgrade.

A reasonable underwriter might ask "Why do you need more powerful brakes? Are you driving too fast?".

So if you replace your disks and pads with an item that isn't from VW do you need to disclose that too?

In an ideal world you would inform your insurer of the improvements you've made to your cars stopping distance and you would get a few quid back,in the real world you don't say a thing to your insurer and drive on.

• Advertisement

So if you replace your disks and pads with an item that isn't from VW do you need to disclose that too?

No requirement to do that I'd have thought, but cross drilled and slotted discs would be rightly seen as uprated.

No benefit attempting to split hairs further on this.

tossy wrote: »
    In an ideal world you would inform your insurer of the improvements you've made to your cars stopping distance and you would get a few quid back,in the real world you don't say a thing to your insurer and drive on.

Not sure that's fair tossy.

Most braking systems are more than adequate so is there any need to uprate them for normal use?

If any competant claims assessor was doing a post accident inspection the uprade would be pretty obvious, and that could easily open a can of worms.

Not sure that's fair tossy.

Most braking systems are more than adequate so is there any need to uprate them for normal use?

In my experience more cars than you think have pretty crap brakes

e.g Take my old MK4 TDI golf the standard brakes were single piston 280mm (car weighed around 1400kg) Brakes were woeful under any kind of extreme(emergency braking) - i upgraded these (as mentioned just today on another thread) to the 312mm single piston set up from a GTI/TT/S3 etc the braking performance was vastly improved.However i now own an S3 with the same 312mm set up and i find the braking performance is just adequate. My previous car was a V6 TDI A4 avant quattro which tipped the scales at 2.2 tonnes with fluids etc on board - the brakes Audi chose to fit to this monster? the Same 312mm set up that are only barely adequate on a 1400kg car,the braking performance was shocking if you had to throw out the anchors in a hurry almost instant brake fade!

So more often than not there is a healthy argument for upgrading brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Clutchkick wrote: »
    I’m fairly sure Enda will want to fleece me when they get into the country for buying something outside of the EU.
    Ah, go on ahead. I'll let you off with it.

Just this once, mind!

No requirement to do that I'd have thought, but cross drilled and slotted discs would be rightly seen as uprated.

No benefit attempting to split hairs further on this.

Drilled and grooved discs won't necessarily increase braking performance. The pad does a lot more work than the disc.

Going back to my previous point, based on your logic, not using anything other than what VW recommend could be viewed as a decrease in braking performance so you should really notify your insurer of this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Clutchkick wrote: »
    No, it's a GT TDI so there's slotted rotors already on it,the slots are barely visable on one and completely gone off the other...i thought drilled ones would be fairly tough seen as they're on every modern fast car,as for the hard breaking,i'm just not a morning person and college starts at 9 ha.....I'd settle for slotted ones.

take a look for yourself.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=drilled+brake+disc+cracks&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.d2k&biw=1280&bih=922&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=GHb9UI23EaWx0AWhg4DQDA

happens a lot of cars with drilled disc's....in fact i know of one car out on track that a chunk of the disc broke away

Drilled and grooved discs won't necessarily increase braking performance. The pad does a lot more work than the disc.

Going back to my previous point, based on your logic, not using anything other than what VW recommend could be viewed as a decrease in braking performance so you should really notify your insurer of this too.

So if the drilled and grooved discs won't improve performance why would anyone pay more for them? Looks?

Not worth answering the 2nd part.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

corkgsxr wrote: »
    any decent motor factors should be able to order ya ebc slotted or drilled or slotted and drilled. not much more than normal disks.

and while your ordering get ebc pads too. just there budget ones. there far better than the normal over the counter stuff.

cos its good practice to change pads with new disks

my advice is to avoid at all costs anything bearing the name "ebc"........ complete and utter ****e,they are from my experience a downgrade from the "normal over the counter stuff",i managed to easily warp 2 sets of ebc grooved and dimpled discs,tried the green stuff pads first which felt like there were like 2 blocks of wood in the caliper,red stuff wer'nt much better,never again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

It is modified from the manufacturers standard spec though. I would definately report it or not do it. Thing is if theres a large claim then the insurers could rightly walk away and persue you for third party costs. With a recent claim in the UK for one girl in another car who was disabled by a BMW UK employee reaching 22 million pounds sterling I would declare it personally!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

mullingar wrote: »
    The NCT does not check for disc warping, only effectiveness

Yes they do. They measure ovality.

All drilled, grooved, slotted or whatever design you want do is help prevent the pads from glazing during hard use. In effect, they help maintain the available braking ability for longer. They do not increase brake performance.

The best way to increase brake performance/decrease stopping distances is to increase the lever effect, i.e fit larger disks.

Advertisement