Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cross drilled & slotted brake disks

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes they do. They measure ovality.

All drilled, grooved, slotted or whatever design you want do is help prevent the pads from glazing during hard use. In effect, they help maintain the available braking ability for longer. They do not increase brake performance.

The best way to increase brake performance/decrease stopping distances is to increase the lever effect, i.e fit larger disks.

Would you describe fitting them as being a potential performance upgrade though Nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

A performance upgrade is defined as something that makes the car faster, brakes stop cars

• Registered Users Posts: 23,346 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A performance upgrade is defined as something that makes the car faster, brakes stop cars
    A brake upgrade will increase a cars performance. It could mean being seconds quicker around a track when you consider more stopping power and less brake fade with the right setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

ljpg wrote: »
    my advice is to avoid at all costs anything bearing the name "ebc"........ complete and utter ****e,they are from my experience a downgrade from the "normal over the counter stuff",i managed to easily warp 2 sets of ebc grooved and dimpled discs,tried the green stuff pads first which felt like there were like 2 blocks of wood in the caliper,red stuff wer'nt much better,never again.....

What model greenstuff. There are sports versions that need warming up which would feel like that.

The ultramax are there basic pads. Those are what I use. Iv used them in mazda 323f, ford transit, nissan pathfinder, and Berlingo In cars. Aerox 50, hornet 250 and 600 and gsxr 600 all had hh ebc pads. Always found they had better bite for less pressure and lasted ages

The only time I had a issue with them was on the mazda where I used a sportier version and you could feel them warm up over the first few presses. I had to stop from high speed quite fast and they did stop impressively but It burnt them and they never worked as well again

When I used them in the drums of the berlingo, it was the first vehicle iv ever had that you can feel the back helping when you press the pedal.

There must be something wrong if your having issues with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Would you describe fitting them as being a potential performance upgrade though Nd?

No because as already stated, they don't improve braking performance.

You might as well stick go faster stripes on your car and declare that instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No because as already stated, they don't improve braking performance.

You might as well stick go faster stripes on your car and declare that instead.

Here's what was said...

"All drilled, grooved, slotted or whatever design you want do is help prevent the pads from glazing during hard use. In effect, they help maintain the available braking ability for longer. They do not increase brake performance."

So whilst they might not improve normal road braking performance they will increase the ability of the brakes to work longer during prolonged and hard use.

"A brake upgrade will increase a cars performance. It could mean being seconds quicker around a track when you consider more stopping power and less brake fade with the right setup."

Track or race inspired mods are exactly what a reasonable underwriter wants to know and is entitled be told about.

What would you think about non decl. of other upgrades such as:

1/. Lowered and stiffened suspension.
    2/. Race seats.
    3/. Roll cage.
    4/. Remapping.
    5/. Uprated (bigger?) wheels/tyres.
    6/. Major i.c.e.
    7/. Bodykit.

It all depends on what the definition of a "material modification" might be. To me it's one that changes the nature of the risk.

5/. 6/. and 7/. above would increase the chances of theft I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

corkgsxr wrote: »
    What model greenstuff. There are sports versions that need warming up which would feel like that.

The ultramax are there basic pads. Those are what I use. Iv used them in mazda 323f, ford transit, nissan pathfinder, and Berlingo In cars. Aerox 50, hornet 250 and 600 and gsxr 600 all had hh ebc pads. Always found they had better bite for less pressure and lasted ages

The only time I had a issue with them was on the mazda where I used a sportier version and you could feel them warm up over the first few presses. I had to stop from high speed quite fast and they did stop impressively but It burnt them and they never worked as well again

When I used them in the drums of the berlingo, it was the first vehicle iv ever had that you can feel the back helping when you press the pedal.

There must be something wrong if your having issues with them

reading your post your having issues too,you stopped once hard in a mazda and they burnt and never worked well again????????if you had standard mazda pads and discs fitted that would'nt have happened!!!!!was a good few years ago when i tried them,at that time there was only green stuff,red stuff and yellows,had the green stuff in a fiesta rs turbo,gave them time to bed in properly before i started to push them,over a short period of time the just went wooden,no bite,noisy,juddery, they got to the stage where i had to take them off the brake pedal was hopping that hard from warpage,into the bin thay went,tried them again on the next car i bought,a 2 litre celica, except i used red stuff this time,similar story as the fiesta ,into the bin the went,in both cases i refitted original brakes and although they were'nt anything special they done there job without all the problems associated with the ebc's.

reading your post your having issues too,you stopped once hard in a mazda and they burnt and never worked well again????????if you had standard mazda pads and discs fitted that would'nt have happened!!!!!was a good few years ago when i tried them,at that time there was only green stuff,red stuff and yellows,had the green stuff in a fiesta rs turbo,gave them time to bed in properly before i started to push them,over a short period of time the just went wooden,no bite,noisy,juddery, they got to the stage where i had to take them off the brake pedal was hopping that hard from warpage,into the bin thay went,tried them again on the next car i bought,a 2 litre celica, except i used red stuff this time,similar story as the fiesta ,into the bin the went,in both cases i refitted original brakes and although they were'nt anything special they done there job without all the problems associated with the ebc's.

One issue in 6-7 years in cars and bikes. And they had to stop me very very fast. I dont think std pads would have stopped me. I find no fault with them. Try the utramax they've always made them. Trust me there great pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Neilw wrote: »
    If you want better brakes bigger discs are the way to go. 312mm discs are a straight bolt on upgrade on your car, you will need the discs and caliper carriers.
    all depends on which model "gt tdi" some of the mk4s were not a straight swap depending on what was fitted as standard. The mk5 I'm not sure about but I think the gt 140 had 288mm as standard
    tossy wrote: »
    I made this upgrade on my old TDI golf and it was one of the best mods i ever did to any car.

Same as myself. Done it on my fr Leon. Some difference and I just used standard pads and disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

No as they do not increase the performance, then simply improve its longevity.

There could easily be more of a difference between a set of cheap no name pads and a premium brand set fitted to standard disks and no-one would expect anyone to declare those.

• Advertisement

No as they do not increase the performance, then simply improve its longevity.

There could easily be more of a difference between a set of cheap no name pads and a premium brand set fitted to standard disks and no-one would expect anyone to declare those.

Agreed, although longevity under extreme use might be viewed as a performance enhancement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

My car had cheap APEC pads on the front and the braking was terrible, I had them changed for the correct compound John Cooper Works pads and jurid discs. The transformation was night and day.

I doubt the last owner told their insurance company about the downgrade in braking performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

One issue in 6-7 years in cars and bikes. And they had to stop me very very fast. I dont think std pads would have stopped me. I find no fault with them. Try the utramax they've always made them. Trust me there great pads.

you dont think standard pads would stop you? try them,you might be surprised what the'd do....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

you dont think standard pads would stop you? try them,you might be surprised what the'd do....

I agree with you 100% on EBC. I wouldn't put them near any car of mine. I tried the yellowstuff pads on a track car years ago and they were worse than standard road pads. My S4 had red stuff pads on it when I got it and they were utter sh1te, didn't work at all when cold and were noisy as hell when hot.

I also don't like using drilled and/or grooved discs, they are fine when new but they corrode and get noisy very very quickly.

For a normal road car good quality standard discs and pads with good brake lines and fluid are all that is needed. Anything else has too many compromises to be worth it.

For a modified car pay the extra for a really good uprated pad like Pagid RS42 or Ferodo DS2500. They are expensive but you get what you pay for.

:confused:

Let me rephrase. Wouldn't have stopped me in time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

if you want pads that will blow you away...forget ds2500 and pagid rs24 George ....try a set of carbotech xp8's or xp10's...these things are ridiculous compared to the rest....really nice feel and tons of confidence with these...only thing is on the evo they can be noisey and will have your wheels manky from the dust ....but my god nothing compares!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

:confused:

Let me rephrase. Wouldn't have stopped me in time

Let me rephrase you ;) ... mind your speed and distance, even well worn standard brakes will stop ya.
    If you not obey those two rules, at some point supper duper maclaren f1 brake pads wont stop ya ;)
    i dont know why people still do this discussion, i think op already got some directions what to choose, and what to do, he need just open wallet and buy.

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Let me rephrase you ;) ... mind your speed and distance, even well worn standard brakes will stop ya.
    If you not obey those two rules, at some point supper duper maclaren f1 brake pads wont stop ya ;)
    i dont know why people still do this discussion, i think op already got some directions what to choose, and what to do, he need just open wallet and buy.

i was young. my point is i find no fault with the pads. they done a very good job.

id say the mistake most make with ebc is fitting too sporty a pad. then they need to warm up to work properly and will feel wooden when cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

The main purpose of drilled and grooved pads as someone may have already mentioned is to reduce brake fade when your brakes get hot. Apparently, when the pads get hot enough, the resins release gas, on a normal rotor, the only exit for the gas is around the perimeter of the pads, holes and grooves provide a shorter path for this gas release and provide more braking ability for longer, the pad is in contact with the rotor for longer.
    Under normal driving, your brake pads should not get that hot so as others have said if you want better day to day performance from your brakes get bigger discs or a two/four piston caliper fitted. Also don't forget the basics, bleed and flush your lines with new brake fluid and make sure the calipers, pads and sliding pins are ok.
    On the EBC pads and other 'performance brake pads', are these not made for performance under more extreme conditions (heat) than typical everyday use? It is quite conceiveable that under normal use they are cr@p compared to regular brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

i can personally confirm that ebc are just crap!!! they shouldnt even be called performance pads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

I had a stressful week and completly forgot i made this thread, boards.ie - Now Ye're arguen haha......but seriously lads thanks for the help

Advertisement