Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless man on Oliver Bond Street

Options
  • 21-01-2013 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

I'm sure people that are familiar with this area would be familiar with this man. I don't go past this street too often but over the last 4 or more years I regularly saw an elderly man sleeping rough in a doorway close to the carpark on Oliver Bond Street. The guy has been there for years and you can see here on google streetview the area he stayed in. I drove past it today and noticed a wreath and some flowers in the same place. I am assuming its not good news when seeing those things. Does anyone know any more about him or if he is ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm sure people that are familiar with this area would be familiar with this man. I don't go past this street too often but over the last 4 or more years I regularly saw an elderly man sleeping rough in a doorway close to the carpark on Oliver Bond Street. The guy has been there for years and you can see here on google streetview the area he stayed in. I drove past it today and noticed a wreath and some flowers in the same place. I am assuming its not good news when seeing those things. Does anyone know any more about him or if he is ok?

Thats awfully sad.

I know the doorway and person you're talking about.

I'll try find out what happened but in the mean time I haven't heard anything except that three people from the Lighthouse Project have died in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭AnarchistKen

I passed that doorway nearly every day for the last 8 years on the way to work and college. Heart went out to the man each day.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

yeah know the guy you are meaning -has been there at least 12 years from what I have seen- poor guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridgepeople

Did the old man you're referring to have a strong lean and a small cane that he used for support?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

No he was a big man white haired man always picking up litter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Did the old man you're referring to have a strong lean and a small cane that he used for support?
    He used to sleep in around Exchange St. I think he is still about in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pimlico

I Just seen this thread, Yes unfortunately he passed away. The man that owns the Spar on Thomas Street and the Car Park on Oliver Bond Street, went to check on him the other morning (as he does most mornings and gives him tea and a sandwich) and while apparently he was conscious, he was very disorientated and when he tried to stand up he couldn't.

So, an ambulance was called and unfortunately he passed away in St. James Hospital later on that day, don't know exactly what he died off but God love him he must have been in a terrible bad way to have died so quick.

I used to be amazed at how he survived some of the past few winters, I know that during the bad winter of 2010 he was taken into a hostel or some kind of emergency accommodation but he only stayed in it a short while and the snow was still on the ground when he arrived back to his door way.

He was definitely a character and it just won't be the same walking down that way without him sitting in his door way.

R.I.P and let's hope he's in a better place now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

RIP mate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

RIP. That's very sad to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sad to hear that. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

RIP.

Also must be mentioned that there are still some decent people about, fairplay to the lad who owns Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭EireGreg

RIP Sad that in are supposed civilised society and with all the money made in the boom period we still have many people homeless its a reflection on everyone if you really want to think about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Can we please try to avoid getting into a debate on homelesness, it really isn't appropriate in this thread. RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Does anybody know anything about the man who used to sleep in a tent in Harolds x?

I havnt been up that way in a couple of years but i used to see him cooking food outside the tent in inches of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Very sad news. Reminds me of that poor homeless chap who used to sleep out around Prussia Street. He was found frozen to death after someone noticed he hadn't moved since they seen him that morning. Very depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

God rest his poor soul ... and bless that good man from Spar who did what he could to help. So very, very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Used to see him the odd morning when the bus stopped on Thomas Street,very sad.

R.I.P.

What a poignant thread to randomly stumble into, R.I.P. to the poor man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 terversa1974

This man is still alive, Focus Ireland sorted him with a flat now
    after many years and they are just decorating it now for him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

So is he alive or dead?? We are talking about him in work, we used to see him all the time cleaning up the street :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 terversa1974

Well my friend works in Merchant Quay Project and he is there all
    the time, little man crunched over all the time with trousers turned
    up sometimes has a stick to walk if its the same man..yes he is still alive
    but you prob dont see him as they got him a place to live now..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If they've found a place for him to live that's fantastic news.

If he has sadly passed them RIP

Im pretty sure it is a different person you are talking about

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I think the man you are talking about was mentioned in the thread but the original post was about this man:
    Hootanany wrote: »
    No he was a big man white haired man always picking up litter

Great to hear about that other guy though, I have often seen him in the evening on Fishamble Street sitting on the footpath or on the steps outside the Contemporary Music Centre reading a newspaper. I was wondering why I hadn't seen him for a while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sad.

IMG085_zps9d0b2495.jpg

I took this on the way home from work today. I went into his old home/doorway to read the wreaths but none had any written messages.

Rest in Peace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What makes it even sadder is that no-one knows his name, even a first name.

I think some of the people from the oliver bond flats knew his name and would give some food often

• Registered Users Posts: 2 x.lor.x

I would love to know his name also. I got such a shock this morning when I passed and saw flowers in his place. Thinking of him all day. He seemed to be such a proud man and took great care of his surroundings.

RIP to this special man who has obviously touched many hearts (and probably never realised so)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

His name was John. They were talking about him on Ryan Tubridy this morning. Sounds like a lot of people knew him. RIP.

Advertisement