Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Renewal and IEC 2013

Options
  • 21-01-2013 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

wondering if anyone can help? I am currently in OZ on a working holiday visa and want to apply for the IEC 2013 when it opens. My dilemma is that my passport expires Aug 2014.

Can I apply on my current passport, then rock up to Canada (if accepted) on a new passport? I know that the IEC acceptance letter isn't attached to a passport.

Will they automatically refuse my application for IEC because my current passport expires before the 24 months?

My Aussie whv expires in June and I was planning on going home for a few weeks after, then hopefully Canada. Can I get a new passport in oz or will that affect my current whv in Oz? Do I have to leave Oz early?

I know places fill up so fast for the visas and I'm anxious that I'll miss out for 2013.

Pretty confused! Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Will they automatically refuse my application for IEC because my current passport expires before the 24 months?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

The FAQ section on the IEC website says this:

You must hold a valid passport at the time you submit your application. If you have been accepted as a participant and you are preparing to enter Canada through the IEC, the validity period of your passport should cover the whole time you plan to stay in Canada (up to one year). The validity period of your work permit may not extend beyond the validity period of your passport.

From my reading of that I would say that yes, you can apply on your current passport and then enter Canada on a new one. Your current passport is still valid at the time of application and when you enter Canada and activate your work permit with your new passport it will cover the duration of your stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Your Canadian visa will be linked to your Irish passport number. You need to put your Irish passport number on your application form for the Canadian visa and if you show up with a different passport it'll probably cause you problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Your Canadian visa will be linked to your Irish passport number. You need to put your Irish passport number on your application form for the Canadian visa and if you show up with a different passport it'll probably cause you problems.

This is also in the FAQ. According to that you should be fine as long as you have a photocopy of your old passport.

I have replaced the passport under which my Letter of Introduction was issued (because it was damaged/ lost/ stolen/ I got married) and am about to travel to Canada. May I still use the Letter of Introduction to obtain my work permit?

Yes, as long as the validity period of the Letter of Introduction has not expired. When entering Canada, you must notify the border service officer of this change so that your work permit may be issued in accordance with your current passport information. We recommend that you bring a photocopy of your previous passport along with your current valid passport for presentation at the port of entry. If you changed your passport because you got married, please also bring a copy of your marriage certificate.

OP if I were you I'd contact the Irish Canadian Immigration Centre to be 100% sure. They're usually quite helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dkenna1

Hi there,

Just wondering what you did about your IEC application? We're in a similar situation in that my passport expires in Mar 2013 and I would like to stay past that date in Canada.

I was thinking of applying for the visa on my existing passport because there's not many left and then getting a new passport before I land in Canada? I was just wondering if you had found out what the correct way to apply in this situation?

Thanks,
    David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 PollyMe

Hi all,

Just wondering if you could help me.

Myself and my boyfriend are currently on a visa in Canada which expires in Aug of this year, we applied for our second visa and hopefully will re-enter Canada on Aug 11th, but this will mean that the new 24 month visa wont expire until Aug 2015 and my boyfriends passport expires in Mar 2015. We applied and my boyfriend said that he will leave in Mar 2015 a day before his visa expires. Will they except this?

We are holding off paying the participation fee for now as we are also worried that if we go ahead with the application and he gets rejected that it will count as one of his 'twice in a lifetime' applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meka

dkenna1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering what you did about your IEC application? We're in a similar situation in that my passport expires in Mar 2013 and I would like to stay past that date in Canada.

I was thinking of applying for the visa on my existing passport because there's not many left and then getting a new passport before I land in Canada? I was just wondering if you had found out what the correct way to apply in this situation?

Thanks,
    David

Any chance you could shed some light on this situation? I'm in a similar situation myself and just wondering how you got on?

Hi,

My boyfriend had similar problem (see post above) he ended up just applying anyway and he got the visa but only dated until his passport expired, he then applied for a new passport and once we had that we left canada and when we got back to Canada he just went to immigration at the airport with his new passport and they gave him a new visa for the full 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meka

PollyMe wrote: »
    Hi,

My boyfriend had similar problem (see post above) he ended up just applying anyway and he got the visa but only dated until his passport expired, he then applied for a new passport and once we had that we left canada and when we got back to Canada he just went to immigration at the airport with his new passport and they gave him a new visa for the full 2 years!

Ah great, thanks for replying. Just getting a bit freaked out as it's coming close to the visa allocation and my passport expires in March 2017. I should be OK to apply for the IEC program with my current passport so, you reckon? I can get a new passport then before I leave for Canada and I should be all good? Fingers crossed. :)

meka wrote: »
    Ah great, thanks for replying. Just getting a bit freaked out as it's coming close to the visa allocation and my passport expires in March 2017. I should be OK to apply for the IEC program with my current passport so, you reckon? I can get a new passport then before I leave for Canada and I should be all good? Fingers crossed. :)

Yeah you should be, I didn't think they would give a new visa but they did no problem, maybe it wouldn't hurt just to double check by calling them or sending a quick email. Best of luck anyway :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement