Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil boiler and 4 zones

Options
  • 21-01-2013 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All

I want to change the way my OFCH is controlled as it is a nightmare at the moment.

I want to use something like a Horstmann H47XL

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/press-channelPlus-H47XL-four-channel.php

My zones are done with pumps and not motorised valves and I was told I would need relay/contactors.

I have 2 stats but would like to add a 3rd possibly a wireless one.

will the controller switch the boiler on/off and can i et it to leave the pumps on for say 30-45minutes after the boiler goes off to keep the water moving in the system

How much work would this be and what sort of price would it cost.

90% of the wiring is in place and I can run the last bit to save on that cost.

would most electricians do this or would I be better looking for someone who deals with this type of work

Any recomendations for the Kildare area would be greatful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the timer,stats and pumps etc. all wire back to a controller

the last pumped system i wired we used homezone/systemlink

i'm not sure on the overrun for the pumped system.they would advise you anyway if you call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A controller setup can be done with relays, and the standard zone setup normally used with motorised valves. When a timeclock channel closes, and its zone stat is on, the relay brings on its pump. All the zone relays then have a second n/o contact all connected in parallel, to bring on the boiler the same way the aux contact on motorised valves would.

The pump over-run can be done with a pipe stat. Pump over-run is only really needed to circulate water through the boiler itself with its own pump.

That`s another possible way as well.

he'd be best wire back to a proper controller-it's easier to troubleshoot later
    with everything marked

the homezone one uses a proprietary programmer(timer) wired in light 4-core from the controller unit-very handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    he'd be best wire back to a proper controller-it's easier to troubleshoot later
    with everything marked

the homezone one uses a proprietary programmer(timer) wired in light 4-core from the controller unit-very handy

He might alright, especially when installing a new system.

But its no harder to troubleshoot a relay box setup with proper din rail mounted connectors and relays, all clearly labelled, than the standard 3 zone timer and motor valve switched setup, In an existing setup that might not need much alteration, it would be a bit cheaper probably.

But anyway, im just posting options and description in the earlier post that might be useful to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

I like the look of the Home zone,

what sort of cost would these be ???

Thanks for the replies,

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    A controller setup can be done with relays, and the standard zone setup normally used with motorised valves. When a timeclock channel closes, and its zone stat is on, the relay brings on its pump. All the zone relays then have a second n/o contact all connected in parallel, to bring on the boiler the same way the aux contact on motorised valves would.

The pump over-run can be done with a pipe stat. Pump over-run is only really needed to circulate water through thew boiler itself with its own pump.

That`s another possible way as well.
    -the homezone controller also has separate fusing for each zone pump and boiler
    -relays fall short there unless you were to add them in

i'm sure theres other similar controllers available

Advertisement