Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking?

Options
  • 21-01-2013 5:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I have an msi 7850 1GB Factory OC gpu. I was using the catalyst control centre and the default settings on it are gpu clock 900mhz , memory clock 1200 mhz , i put the them up to 1000 mhz , 1400mhz and there were these little coloured dots all over my screen and didnt go away till i put the settings back down to default , i dont know why this happened because its not like i was making the gpu kill it self , but then again i dont know that much about OC anyone know what happend or what i done wrong ?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

LukeyKid wrote: »
    I have an msi 7850 1GB Factory OC gpu. I was using the catalyst control centre and the default settings on it are gpu clock 900mhz , memory clock 1200 mhz , i put the them up to 1000 mhz , 1400mhz and there were these little coloured dots all over my screen and didnt go away till i put the settings back down to default , i dont know why this happened because its not like i was making the gpu kill it self , but then again i dont know that much about OC anyone know what happend or what i done wrong ?

Artifacing (the little dots) means you have pushed the overclock too far and the card is not stable. It is best to work up in much smaller increments (especially with the memory), until you find a stable configuration. You have probably reached too far on the memory overclock, as often there there is not as much room for overclocking gains as with the GPU.

Looking at a couple of HD7850 1GB overclocking reviews both easily get to 1050MHz core clock, but failed to get anywhere near 1400Mhz on the memory.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2012/11/05/msi-radeon-hd-7850-1gb-review/9

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2048/12/

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Yeah i thought so , thanks for the help man and i just but up the core clock to 1050 and its working fine i left the memory at 1200 i dont wont to mess my gpu up , but the screen shots in legit review he have the memory on 1325 so if i was to put mine to that it should be fine and do no damage to my gpu ? considering there the same gpu its prob a stuipid question but like i said i dnt want to mess it up :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Yeah i thought so , thanks for the help man and i just but up the core clock to 1050 and its working fine i left the memory at 1200 i dont wont to mess my gpu up , but the screen shots in legit review he have the memory on 1325 so if i was to put mine to that it should be fine and do no damage to my gpu ? considering there the same gpu its prob a stuipid question but like i said i dnt want to mess it up :P

It will varies slightly from card to card but you will probably find the limit somewhere around the same 1300MHz mark. I'd suggest just doing fairly small increases starting from 1200MHz and testing at each setting for a good while.

Keep incrementing until you find the level where you start to see problems, and then go back to one below that and test again. If you are happy that it is stable with no problems then you have pretty much reached your memory overclock limit.

Once you haven't changed advanced settings like the voltages (You can't from catalyst center anyway, and as you are a beginner I strongly recommend not finding out how to do this for now :)), there it very little chance of damaging the card, even when you eventually do hit a setting that causes artifacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

marco_polo wrote: »
    It will varies slightly from card to card but you will probably find the limit somewhere around the same 1300MHz mark. I'd suggest just doing fairly small increases starting from 1200MHz and testing at each setting for a good while.

Keep incrementing until you find the level where you start to see problems, and then go back to one below that and test again. If you are happy that it is stable with no problems then you have pretty much reached your memory overclock limit.

Once you haven't changed advanced settings like the voltages (You can't from catalyst center anyway, and as you are a beginner I strongly recommend not finding out how to do this for now :)), there it very little chance of damaging the card, even when you eventually do hit a setting that causes artifacts.

ha ok thanks alot for the help lads and ill do it now , start to put up the memory :)

Advertisement