Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

obsession with the past/nostalgia

• 21-01-2013 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Is an obsession with nostalgia and one's own past essentially a denial of one's present? Its escapism, but is it basically just self denial?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD COMMENT:
    Please be advised that this OP has not been framed as a philosophical question, rather it might better fit a discussion in Humanities. It has being moved LOCKED, so that the mods may review it for appropriateness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Thread reopened at the OP's request - though maybe it would attract more contributions if the OP expanded upon their question.

ER.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭squirestarter

My question is basically that if somebody is fixated with their past or with a past time (for example people being obsessed with the 60's and wishing they had lived then) are they trying to escape from or deny their present life?

We all have friends that are always talking about the past and some seem so fixated on it that they rarely talk about what's happening now in their lives.

Are people who are obsessed with the past possibly depressed about the present?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

no need to expand OP, i know where you are coming from and oh yes i do wish i was back in the 80s and i also get very nostalgic about simple everyday things that might bring about an association with times past. for me it has nothing to do with my current life situation as i am very optimistic about the present and indeed the future..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I agree with jupiterjack- and would think it's a similar scenario with most people.

When my mother meets with her siblings,they discuss the present,the immediate future and then reminisce about their childhood.
    For her,it's the 40s/50s- for me and my friends,it's the 80s.
    Nothing obsessive/depressing about such discussions,just natural to remember those times which made you happy.

My happiest memories are of my late teens and early 20s- because I only had my life to live,no responsibilities,nobody else to tend or worry about.
    Yes-have a good life now.

But nothing in my life will ever compare to those amazing years.
    So I have no issues stepping back now and again,and remembering-
    and hope to do so for many a year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement