Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blogging about colleagues?

Options
  • 21-01-2013 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Found out today that one of my colleagues has been writing articles online about workmates and possibly me...they are quite derogatory.

She uses pseudonyms for whoever she is writing about but it's a small office so it can be narrowed down to 3 or 4 people. These articles are dated so I know they are current and she uses working with in the present tense so I know they are about our office.

She writes under her own full name though and can be easily found via google.

I'd like to know what outsiders opinions are on this before I blow a gasket? Do you think this is acceptable or am I overreacting because I am upset they could be about me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

She writes under her own name? Wow. Save everything in case it gets taken down. And maybe then start telling her about this great blog you're reading...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I'd love to have a look at this, could you post up the address if the blog? Is it really derogatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anon808

I'd rather not as that would make it obvious who she is.

Do you think what she is doing is okay?

Her comments are along the lines of that people we work we have serious personality issues and she even hints at possible underlying mental issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

anon808 wrote: »

Her comments are along the lines of that people we work we have serious personality issues and she even hints at possible underlying mental issues.

She's free to express her opinion, and she isn't naming names. So nothing you can do legally; or even internally within the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jammywammy

anon808 wrote: »

Jaysus she sounds like a bundle of laughs. Id have a problem with that if it were me. Not sure there is anything you can do about it if she isnt naming anyone.
    Would make you wonder about her own state of mind. Im pretty sure the boss wouldnt be overly impressed.
    How did you come across her blog?(just out of interest)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The company might like to know she's slagging off its employees like that? Don't people get into trouble for things like that

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I'd be inclined to bring it to the attention of your line manager. If she's using her real name, then the company and employees can be identified.

Personally, I think it sounds like she's the one with problems. Blogging about work - get a life! Let's face it, we all have a moan about work colleagues from time to time with family members and friends but to take time to write a blog....

(Mind you, if you look back through my old post, you will see that I work with dirtbirds :p)

shar01 wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to bring it to the attention of your line manager. If she's using her real name, then the company and employees can be identified.

She can just claim it's fictional/creative writing, and that none of the people are real, etc. She's not naming real names - that's the key here.
    The fact she writes under her own name is irrelevant - it's the content that's relevant, which she's made sure to keep real identities out of.

It may not be nice, and the OP may know who certain people are that she's referring to, but there's still nothing anyone can do to a) stop her, or b) discipline her over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Is there anything in your 'code of conduct' section of the employee handbook or similar. I know a lot of companies have a line in there about confidentiality along the lines of 'the employee shall not divulge to any person howsiever or otherwise make use of and shall use his/her best endevours to prevent the publication or disclosure of any confidential information concerning the affairs of the company or the personal details of fellow employees'

That is a standard line that I have always added to contracts. So by saying nothing, in fact you may also be in breach of the confidentiality cause. I know others are saying she is not using real names so you can't do anything, but I think this may be incorrect. She is using her own name, and therefore this can makee it identifiable where she works and as a result who she works with.

I wouldn't be too keen to know a colleague was writing about the team. And as a manager I would be very concerned, because leaving confidentiality out of it, it is a surefire way for bad feeling to enter the team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

She can just claim it's fictional/creative writing, and that none of the people are real, etc. She's not naming real names - that's the key here.
    The fact she writes under her own name is irrelevant - it's the content that's relevant, which she's made sure to keep real identities out of.

It may not be nice, and the OP may know who certain people are that she's referring to, but there's still nothing anyone can do to a) stop her, or b) discipline her over.
    Depends if she includes that at the top of the blog or similar; if not it could be seen as bullying and/or defamation of the company (as people know what company she works for with whom ever she has professional contact etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jammywammy

She could indeed say its creative writing. I wonder would she continue blogging if she knew everyone in the office knew what she was doing or indeed where reading her blogs.
    I doubt she can be disciplined and you are prob right about forcing her to stop....but I do think there are other ways of going about dealing with this one.
    If one of my colleagues where cheeky enough to be at this Id certainly have something to say about it to her. I think we get too caught up in being pc.

jammywammy wrote: »
    She could indeed say its creative writing. I wonder would she continue blogging if she knew everyone in the office knew what she was doing or indeed where reading her blogs.
    I doubt she can be disciplined and you are prob right about forcing her to stop....but I do think there are other ways of going about dealing with this one.

Yeah, it's likely she doesn't know that her colleagues have found it - she'd likely be embarrassed by it if she knew... The funny thing is, one of her colleagues probably found it in the first place because they were stalking her and Googling her name.
    Nody wrote: »
    Depends if she includes that at the top of the blog or similar; if not it could be seen as bullying and/or defamation of the company

It's only defamation if it's not true. And her personal opinion on someone is not defamation.
    e.g. If she says "Paul is a paedo" - that's defamation, but only if the real person she's referring to is clearly identifiable - the OP says "it can be narrowed down to 3 or 4 people" - that's not close enough to be identifiable, so the real "Paul" would have no case.
    But if she says "Paul comes across to me like a paedo" - that's her opinion, and it's not defamation at all. She's not saying he is - she's just saying she gets those vibes from him, which she is entitled to say. It's akin to saying you don't like someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If people can be reasonably identified it's defamation assuming it's not true. The points made on opinion; it's not that simple.

Perhaps bring it to her attention informally and then to the line manager if no joy. A solicitors letter could be the next step.

If people can be reasonably identified it's defamation assuming it's not true. The points made on opinion; it's not that simple.

I agree, there is grey area there. But if I say "I don't like Emma because she's a bitch" - that's not in any way defamation. That's 100% opinion. But if I then say "I believe she stole my pens" - is that defamation? I didn't say she definitely did, but that I believe she did, etc - so yeah, that's a slightly grey area.

But that's assuming the OP is even complaining about defamation - he/she just said "derogatory", which could just mean she's slagging off someone taste in clothes, or just being bitchy, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I agree, there is grey area there. But if I say "I don't like Emma because she's a bitch" - that's not in any way defamation. That's 100% opinion. But if I then say "I believe she stole my pens" - is that defamation? I didn't say she definitely did, but that I believe she did, etc - so yeah, that's a slightly grey area.

But that's assuming the OP is even complaining about defamation - he/she just said "derogatory", which could just mean she's slagging off someone taste in clothes, or just being bitchy, etc.

The OP suggested mental issues - an opinion about that, or indeed about someone being a paedophile would, in all likelihood be defamation. See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Whatever decision you make, try to base it on what will make my life easier in the office rather than any sort of emotional or "on principle" reason.

Easier said than done, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

shar01 wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to bring it to the attention of your line manager.

I think this is the best advice. If you're not her manager, then I don't see the point in confronting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Some very good advice here. I particularly agree with Jammywammy regarding the tendency to be overly politically correct. The blogger has posted publicly - she should expect some sort of reaction especially as she posted using her name.

I'd like to think if I were in OP's position, I'd have the guts to say something to the blogger - it is easier said than done. The OP knows her best and the best way to approach her.

Advertisement