Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100V sockets in an Irish home. Possible? Legal?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

cast_iron wrote: »
    Is it really though? I've never heard of an contractor being hauled up in front of a judge for bad workmanship resulting in a fire/injury etc.

I read in the newspaper about an electrical contarctor who was forced sent back to a large number of homes in Bray, Co. Wicklow that he had wired. The contractor was named in the newspaper, I can't remember the rest of the details.

An electrical contractor that I have had dealings with was told in no uncertain terms by the client on a site I have worked on that if he did not "complete" work that he had done and been paid for over a protrcated period that "action" would be taken. Many of the issues related to earthing and bonding as well as certification (ET:101 and ET:105). The contractor complied rapidly. This work took many months to complete. Although this did not end up in court in front a judge the contractor knew that that was where it would end up if he did not do something rapidly.

I have had direct experience with E & I contractors on other projects being forced to fix work at their own considerable expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Well it's good to see there some element of law and order towards jobs being completed to full standard.
    I think most contractors will have been asked at some stage to make changes to bring things up to full spec., be that something quite simple or involving alot of expensive work. That's just a reality of the game in general. It's sometimes hard to keep up with regs exactly.

However, that wasn't my point in what you quoted. I was specifically talking about an incident where bad workmanship resulted in a fire or injury to someone.
    For example, will anyone be done for that wall collapsing in the dept store in Longford the other day? I imagine the store's insurance will ultimately bear the cost, not the contractor that built it or the engineer/architect that signed off on it. I'd like to think I'm wrong on that, but from what I can see, that's what tends to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Your probably right. This disregard for the rules has been going on for a long time not just in the electrical area. Will anything change, I doubt it but I don't think that people should stop adhering to the rules. Their purpose is to ensure safety and I would hate to think that someone lost their life because I took a short cut.

Advertisement