Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow

• 21-01-2013 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭

So, who drove in this morning and who was a baaaaaaak, bok bok and got the bus or the car?
    I'm the latter!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

former.

brummmm!

tho i think i'll be leaving work early...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Neither still in my PJs with my pipe and slippers.....anyone for a brew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

kaimera wrote: »
    former.

brummmm!

tho i think i'll be leaving work early...
    Was it bad? Where is your commute?
    I go from clondalkin to near merrion square, roads were actually grand when I left. Just had the chance of a lift so I took it cos snow was heavy in west dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Nah, I wasn't risking it. Two years ago I drove in and ended up having to left the bike in a clinic car park for four days. I knew I would get in, but getting home I don't know. Anyway, I just had my fill of coffee, I'm back off to bed for an hour!!!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Was it bad? Where is your commute?
    I go from clondalkin to near merrion square, roads were actually grand when I left. Just had the chance of a lift so I took it cos snow was heavy in west dublin.
    northside, artane to donnybrook via the east link.

northside was fine.

sotuhside all slush and cars covered in snow.

then snow banks in the car park at work :/

• Advertisement

Fair play kaimera, all the other bikers are in bed drinking tea!

But yeah, getting home can be the problem. Forecast for dublin doesn't look too bad for today, should be ok
    Cloudy with occasional wintry showers, many falling as snow inland on high ground and giving some accumulations. Light to moderate, easterly winds backing northeasterly. Highest temperatures just 2 or 3 degrees Celsius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

It started off with a drizzle as I left home and turned into wintry shower while filtering on M1, and then it was bucketing down slush and ice from airport into city center - it's no fun riding when you are busy clearing the slush off your visor and the bike want to go everywhere but straight.. Thanks to the gear though, I am mostly dry and my fingers are all working (heated gloves).

Ah well, at least it wasn't too windy..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Took the car tis morning. There was a good coating of snow on the cars and ground in ratoath at 7am and it was still falling heavy enough so it was the best option to take the car. Snow was a lot lighter from finglas into town. Only seen one bike on the commute

leppla wrote: »
    Took the car tis morning. There was a good coating of snow on the cars and ground in ratoath at 7am and it was still falling heavy enough so it was the best option to take the car. Snow was a lot lighter from finglas into town. Only seen one bike on the commute

Wise choice mate....dont want another black Hayabusa moment!!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Drove the bike in. I have no other option, no car, no bus, no train, no such thing. If I don't drive the bike I have to take a day off work, not happening.

Sleet at our place last night, light enough but it froze over night so was a bit dodgy this morning. Snowed where I work about an hour ago, very light, didn't stick. Absolutely freezing. Supposed to get a bit more later.

Good luck to those of you battling with real snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Went to take the bike but my chain needs to be adjusted and it wont adjust anymore. I need a new one.

I had to take the spare bike which is small, slow, no wind protection and no heated grips. Also it needs a golf trolley battery to start. What a monday morning.

Pixie, what did you do back in 2010 when we had snow for pretty much a month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'm in the UK and the annoying thing is the public roads are clear but my estates roads are like glass, so I can't even leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

wasn't taking the bike regardless today but when I seen the snow I was thankful I had made the decision early!

First winter living in an estate, always lived on a main road - estate was covered in about 2 inches of snow and loads of nice patches, tricky enough in the car going into corners (sth dublin)

Pixie, what did you do back in 2010 when we had snow for pretty much a month?

The first year we had bad snow was end of 2009/beginning of 2010 and I was living in Dublin so I managed between public transport and a friend who lived close by, who had a car.

End of 2010 we had bad snow again and I biked it. My bf had to do the same. Drove his R1 into college in the snow both years to do exams, it was either that or wait for repeats - no thanks.

weather still a bit meh here in d4/d6

had a short snow shower there but walked to shop and aside from being **** ass cold, roads arent slushy, just wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dublin 13 to Dublin 7 via the M50 at 8am this morning, awful.

I got into work covered in ice & snow, was fun trying to keep the visor clear!.

Fairly foggy up here in Drogheda. Will have to wait and see how it turns out in the morning.

-5, real feel of -5 this morning/now

Roads out of estate poor, main roads grand, corners fine enough with little lean.

Hands...a bit blue :/

Was just out walking, theres a good bit of black ice about on roads that arent busy. Take it handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It was -1.5 when I got up ay 07:30 this morning. I'm going to hang back and leave an hour later than normal. Roads should be fine by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thomasthomas19

There about 2 to 3 inch of snow in high ground in clonmany. Donegal. Drove down the hill but had to walk back up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ice all over the place in Sandyford, nearly face planted into the concrete on the way into work

Huge amount of freezing fog in Meath....that stuff is lethal. Ride slow lads....have a cadburys caramel and TAKE IT EASY!

FREEZING this morning! Icy roads. Nearly fell over walking over to get the bike this morning, nevermind driving on the road!

Sometimes I feel like I'm driving in teh complete opposite areas to everyone else! :pac:

The danger of driving to work is when you arrive there. You're careful coming out of the estate driving at 2mph, you get onto busy roads and they're grand and you get confident, but you get into work and there's ice in the car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

chickened out today, and yesterday.. fook that..!

canal in dublin was frozen over in spots too this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

The danger of driving to work is when you arrive there. You're careful coming out of the estate driving at 2mph, you get onto busy roads and they're grand and you get confident, but you get into work and there's ice in the car park.

Made that mistake once before but I sorted it out with a bit of pulling and pushing :eek:.

• Advertisement

I was out at the pediatric casualty till 2 am (hence the post about fog last night). This morning the whole ice/frost didn't register to me as a threat at all - I must have been sleep-walking or something.

Bike was well frozen over - ignition won't turn, switches won't work.. slipped a few times trying to get the bike out around the house and out of the drive way, luckily there was always a wall or the car to lean against to save the fall. Slowly rode to the top of the estate, and the indicator switch started working with a crunch. Then I went past frozen trees, frozen grass, frozen fields, avoiding frozen puddles, previously flooded now completely frozen sections of the road, past a biker pushing his bike on the pavement the other way, feeling frost-bite developing the tip of my nose, nose running like a tap and freezing over the lip.. flying down the M1, big sign reads 'Low Road Temperature, Drive Carefully'. That brought my speed down to legal limit, and then filtering past fogged up cars, crazy road work congestion on Swords road...

...and then, only then it dawned on me, why the heck am I doing this? I could have just worked frmo home! I could have avoided all this risk and got two more hours of work done too..! Hmm, may be I have an addiction problem - with riding!

Advertisement