Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

When I finally went to leave at 09:30 my locks and ignition where frozen. I picked this little thing up for 2e a while back called a heatflash, anyway it has a little rod that fits into you your lock and is heated by a couple of aaa batteries. It was hand for the ignition, well worth the 2 euro, I remember buying it thinking will I ever use this fcuking thing, but it worked for me today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

http://imgur.com/YrdslEL.jpg (fail on resizing)

Oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wossack wrote: »
    chickened out today, and yesterday.. fook that..!

canal in dublin was frozen over in spots too this morning
    Baaak bok bok! :D Saw that the canal was frozen in parts, the main roads in dublin were grand at around 8:40 when I left, but out towards west dublin (commute is clondalkin to city centre) it was much worse, puddles frozen solid at the side of the road.
    positron wrote: »
    I was out at the pediatric casualty till 2 am (hence the post about fog last night). This morning the whole ice/frost didn't register to me as a threat at all - I must have been sleep-walking or something.

Bike was well frozen over - ignition won't turn, switches won't work.. slipped a few times trying to get the bike out around the house and out of the drive way, luckily there was always a wall or the car to lean against to save the fall. Slowly rode to the top of the estate, and the indicator switch started working with a crunch. Then I went past frozen trees, frozen grass, frozen fields, avoiding frozen puddles, previously flooded now completely frozen sections of the road, past a biker pushing his bike on the pavement the other way, feeling frost-bite developing the tip of my nose, nose running like a tap and freezing over the lip.. flying down the M1, big sign reads 'Low Road Temperature, Drive Carefully'. That brought my speed down to legal limit, and then filtering past fogged up cars, crazy road work congestion on Swords road...

...and then, only then it dawned on me, why the heck am I doing this? I could have just worked frmo home! I could have avoided all this risk and got two more hours of work done too..! Hmm, may be I have an addiction problem - with riding!
    Hope the little one is doing ok. I know when mine was born I was similar, driving to and from the hospital half asleep, and not thinking about driving, mind was all about the baby and the shít that's going on at the hospital. Don't even remember to eat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks, she's on the mend, we hope!! Stuff of nightmares last night when she threw up good bit of blood, but Doctors reckon she's bleeding from the little's area of the nose and that is going down is coming up again with vomit.

Ice is not half as scary as sick children..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Thanks, she's on the mend, we hope!! Stuff of nightmares last night when she threw up good bit of blood, but Doctors reckon she's bleeding from the little's area of the nose and that is going down is coming up again with vomit.

Hope she makes a speedy recovery. Try keep the head focused on the task at hand while on the bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Cienciano wrote: »
    Baaak bok bok! :D Saw that the canal was frozen in parts, the main roads in dublin were grand at around 8:40 when I left, but out towards west dublin (commute is clondalkin to city centre) it was much worse, puddles frozen solid at the side of the road.

Im blaming the ms hiding my keys >.>

hah, but really, was all over the place just walking the dog around the estate this morning - so said bugger this :eek:

fair fecks to ya's out there - take it handy

Scary seeing blood in puke, but if it's coming from her nose she's grand :cool:
    You'll have to learn how to stop nose bleeds by rolling up jacks roll into what is basically a tampon for the nose (had loads of big nose bleeds when I was young)
    Wossack wrote: »
    Im blaming the ms hiding my keys >.>

hah, but really, was all over the place just walking the dog around the estate this morning - so said bugger this :eek:

fair fecks to ya's out there - take it handy
    My wife goes into work earlier than me and I always get a report texted to me, very handy! My commute is entirely within the m50 so the roads are rarely that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'm in the UK and the annoying thing is the public roads are clear but my estates roads are like glass, so I can't even leave.
    Exactly my problem as well. Additionally, the carpark at work is a nightmare.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Flamethrower attached to front of bike.
    Problem solved.

...though I need new tyres, boots and leggings.

Cleared up around home at the minute, but don't think I'll risk the bike going back into work tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Sorry to hear the ankle biter is poorly, there is nothing worse then that totally helpless feeling that you can do nothing.

Hope she has a speedy (pun intended) recovery. ;)

kaimera wrote: »
    Cleared up around home at the minute, but don't think I'll risk the bike going back into work tonight.

Definitely don't bother! I'm sure you checked the forecast, but from met.ie:

Bitterly cold tonight with little or no wind and with a severe frost, icy surfaces and some freezing fog too. Some scattered showers of sleet and snow will occur. Lowest temperatures ranging from -3 to -6 degrees.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Definitely don't bother! I'm sure you checked the forecast, but from met.ie:

Bitterly cold tonight with little or no wind and with a severe frost, icy surfaces and some freezing fog too. Some scattered showers of sleet and snow will occur. Lowest temperatures ranging from -3 to -6 degrees.
    Was foggy alright in patches. Roads seemed to be ok but I was in the car (with new rubber on the front)

So is that the snow over with? One light shower I drove home in.

Took the car this morning to work tho (1030) cos I was shattered from workout and then night work.

kaimera wrote: »
    Was foggy alright in patches. Roads seemed to be ok but I was in the car (with new rubber on the front)

So is that the snow over with? One light shower I drove home in.

Took the car this morning to work tho (1030) cos I was shattered from workout and then night work.
    Roads in Dublin were absolutly grand this morning at 7:45am when I left. Was supposed to be very cold last night, but no frost, roads were just wet.
    That looks to be the end of it, light frost the next couple of mornings, temperatures rising all the time and next week is supposed to be mild.
    So we can forget about snow and ice for 10 days at least.

Yep, this morning was just a normal overcast day with wet roads just like most days of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,401 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Had a slide this morning even though there was almost no visible frost about.

Was in the estate and only doing walking pace, and saved it, but still... Other mornings I'd gone through that corner hardly moving and bolt upright, that and getting out of my driveway onto the road are the worst spots for frost. There was no frost at all on my driveway so I thought the corner would be ok, didn't see any frost at the corner either, glad I wasn't going any quicker. Back slid out one way and then the other and then composed itself, can't remember getting my boot down but I must have :cool: I hadn't even opened the throttle.

So I'd say watch out at the dangerous bits / little used shady roads and estate roads until the frost is really past.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Drove from Drimnagh to Sandyford this morning. No frost or ice on the roads and its was actually dry in some places. My hands only started feeling it just before I got in the door as well which was great.

Time to dig this thread up again! Plenty of snow in dublin, but roads were grand on my commute anyway. Just wet and a bit of snow on the road leaving the house.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I took the bike in today. I've never driven in snow before really, totally caked up on my visor, was downright scary at times. Roads were fine but the blizzard I was riding in was a bit mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'm still at home. I don't think I'll drive on the bike today.

It doesn't look like the snow has compacted into slippy snow yet. Is the city center okay to drive through?

• Advertisement

Yep, mostly fine - just keep an eye out for slush between lanes when you filter.

City centre of dublin is absolutely grand. Just wet. Footpaths are even ok, just wet too.
    Screen on my bike did it's job well, deflected all the snow around me, pretty much none on the visor at all. Good fun driving in a blizzard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Bike for me, don't have anything else. Besides I'm Polish so I'm well used to snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ah here.......a few snow flakes fall from the sky and everyone wants to stay in doors.

Snow me hole......thats not snowfall at all ffs

Yous are all Pu55ies.:pac::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I took the bike too. The roads were fine around Dun Laoghaire and Sandyford. Nothing was/is sticking.

I brought my GoPro but the flakes probably stuck to the lens cover so all I'll get is white ;)

It's great when it's snowing those big flakes. They look cool as you're driving into them and they're flying towards your head.
    At one point I had to say to myself "stop looking at the stupid snowflakes and look at the road". Would be funny getting stopped:
    Garda: "Did you not see that red light?"
    Me "Eh, no, I was looking at the snow"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Zascar wrote: »
    I took the bike in today. I've never driven in snow before really, totally caked up on my visor, was downright scary at times. Roads were fine but the blizzard I was riding in was a bit mental

Drove through similar to this on the M50 this morning. Was so heavy that every time I wiped the visor clear, by the time I put my hand on the handle bar I couldn't see out the visor again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I barely got the car out of the estate today, forget about the bike. I'd have never made it.

Looking out the office window and its lovely and sunny, and my car is where my bike should be :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

leaving the estate fine, roads damp, and cold, but grand overall.. get a fair bit of the way in, and then got hit with the blizzard - geepers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

This was the Sally Gap this afternoon.

Why oh why do people try to drive up there in FWD and RWD cars???
    We saw 3 cars well stuck in the space of 100 yards.

Only way is a 4 x 4 Jeep

We made a few snowmen and then came back down into the Laragh and then The Wicklow Gap.

Hardly a snowflake on the ground though in the Wicklow Gap.

Amazing what the difference was between 2 mountainsides.:)

Advertisement