Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Waking Every Night!!!

Options
  • 21-01-2013 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all i posted here before about our son who we moved to his own room the last couple of weeks, since we have moved him he wakes every night around 3am and its very hard to settle him back to sleep so to get a nights sleep as we both work we take him into our bed, i need to get him out of this habit of waking and especially out of the habit of taking him into our bed (our fault) he has been teething very bad and i know this has a lot to do but at the same time i really think its habit with him at this stage as it happens every night, before this he slept right through for 12 hours, he is 11 and a half months, any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I would try the baby whisperer shhh pat and pick up/put down routine. It was the only thing that got our lass to sleep through. That and a little bit of crying it out (she wanted the boob when she woke, it was habit not hunger) worked for us. It was very very tough but we reaped the benefits after a few nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

We went through this with ours and the only way we coped was by being totally consistent and refusing to take him into bed. You have to be both on board. We did it so one of us would sleep in the spare room and the other would go to bed early and get up with baby until 5am, then swop over so the other one got a few hours sleep. I would consciously verbalise to him that we were there for him but he was not getting boobie and he was not getting into our bed. I found this age to be a really tough transition time for each of my kids but once they were through it things got a lot easier...your mantra- this too shall pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

What age is your little one Rosy Posy? My daughter is 15 months, gets fed to sleep most nights between 7 & 8, sleeps for 4 or 5 hrs straight no problem & then starts waking for the rest of the night every hour or 2 & only booby will do. If I'm alert enough I'll feed her & put her back in her cot, but mostly I take her into the double bed in her room & feed her & we both fall asleep.

I love feeding her & have no desire to give up just yet, but the night wakings are really killing me. How many nights would you say it took being tough? My other half will sometimes go into her for her 1st or 2nd wake - 12/1am and will perservere with her until she falls asleep once & maybe even go in the 2nd time, but usually after that I feel guilty that he's getting no sleep & go in the next time, so I guess I'm undoing the work he's doing. Getting up for work at 6.50 in the morning after 3/4/5 hours sleep for the last year or so is really starting to wear both of us down, so need to try break the cycle. She used to only wake once at about 3am, but between me going back to work in August & her getting 1 sickness after another for months, that routine just went out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

My lo was going to bed at 6.30 and waking between 2-3 for feed and back till 6.30-7.00 this was going on for ages then he was getting his 2 teeth he woke heaps I nursed him whenever he wanted and took him into bed if he needed. He got his teeth and was still waking so after awhile I said enough. I fed him to sleep usual time if he woke dp went to him, of course he wasn't happy he did cry and give out but his dad was there soothing him and holding him eventually he settled. When he woke between 2-3 I went to him and fed him as I feel he really needed this feed any other time his dad went. Every night from day 1 there was less wakings and went back to only waking once. He's 1 now and usually doesn't feed at night

Advertisement