Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck Brew

Options
  • 21-01-2013 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have my second kit in the primary fermentation vessel for 15 days today. It started at 1.041. For the first 6 days there was quite a vigorous display of activity showing active fermentation. After that it literally just stopped. I took a reading with the hydrometer on 3 different days but its nowhere near where the band on the hydrometer says "Bottle beer" between 1.005 and 1.000.
    Its reading roughly 1.015 I think. I tried shaking the vessel to agitate the yeast and get it going again but it didn’t appear to start anything. So last night I sanitized the paddle again, opened the lid, just moving it slightly enough to get the paddle in and gave it a good stir. Sealed it up again. No activity either this morning.

Is it possible its finished despite the reading or is it stuck? Should I add another yeast to it or bottle it and hope for the best? Any advise appreciated. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd say it's about done -- 1.015 is a little on the high side but well within the finishing range. Ignore the words on the hydrometer.

One thing you might want to check is the temperature: if it's cold the yeast may have gone dormant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd say it's about done -- 1.015 is a little on the high side but well within the finishing range. Ignore the words on the hydrometer.

One thing you might want to check is the temperature: if it's cold the yeast may have gone dormant.

Its certainly not cold. I was worried it was on the warm side as the room is a constant 20/22 degrees at all times.

I'll bottle it so this evening. Hope my opening it hasnt contaminated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

The room is a constant 20-22C but what temp is the wort in your fermentation vessel at ? Do you have a stick on thermometer on the outside of your FV to keep an eye on temp? I am in similar situation but i am 99.999% certain that my issue is very low room temp;)

Yes I have one of the stick on thermometers on it. The room is a constant 20 and the temp in the fermentation vessel varies from 20 to 22...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Well then it is defo not a temp issue;) I reckon beernut is correct, its done fermenting. going by your figures you should be getting about 3.5% ABV but without knowing what you are brewing or what your fermentables were i cannot say if that was an issue or if in fact you have the correct Fg for your brew:D

• Advertisement

Well then it is defo not a temp issue;) I reckon beernut is correct, its done fermenting. going by your figures you should be getting about 3.5% ABV but without knowing what you are brewing or what your fermentables were i cannot say if that was an issue or if in fact you have the correct Fg for your brew:D

Bottled this one last night. Think I'll get about 3.7% from it. If it turns out ok that is. Seemed ok when bottling anyway. Think I actually put too much water in it unintentionally cos I got 44 500ml bottles from it even leaving the crap behind in the end of the bucket.

Advertisement