Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home security with an IP Webcam

Options
  • 21-01-2013 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd share this security with you all.separator.gif

I was just looking through the new Argos catalogue and seen the Foscam one @€;95 ish . Spend hours then yesterday looking at Youtube vids and reviews. Then checked it out online, and ordered the cheap clone one @€;49 inc P&P from 'LightInTheBox.com' as shown below at but only at this price today.
    It connects to your home wired or wireless network where you can control and view the output on a iPhone (any 3G phone) or connected laptop or PC.

Got the app for my iPhone and one for my PC so just to wait for it to come. Got an e-mail to say it was already sent out yesterday.

It will send you an alert and photo when it detects motion via e-mail so you always have a record. Set the iPhone to 'Fetch' the mail and you get an instant alert of motion in the house.

OR use as a baby monitor to view the baby is safe. It can also receive and send audio.

review here
    http://ip-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/foscam-review.html

ip-camera-wifi-802-11-b-g-m-jpeg-free-ddns-bounded-supprot-16-preset-position-motion-detection-black-white_skk1318998596296.jpg

Setup Youtube vid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

clivej wrote: »
    Just thought I'd share this security with you all.separator.gif

I was just looking through the new Argos catalogue and seen the Foscam one @€;95 ish . Spend hours then yesterday looking at Youtube vids and reviews. Then checked it out online, and ordered the cheap clone one @€;49 inc P&P from 'LightInTheBox.com' as shown below at but only at this price today.
    It connects to your home wired or wireless network where you can control and view the output on a iPhone (any 3G phone) or connected laptop or PC.

Got the app for my iPhone and one for my PC so just to wait for it to come. Got an e-mail to say it was already sent out yesterday.

It will send you an alert and photo when it detects motion via e-mail so you always have a record. Set the iPhone to 'Fetch' the mail and you get an instant alert of motion in the house.

OR use as a baby monitor to view the baby is safe. It can also receive and send audio.

review here
    http://ip-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/foscam-review.html

ip-camera-wifi-802-11-b-g-m-jpeg-free-ddns-bounded-supprot-16-preset-position-motion-detection-black-white_skk1318998596296.jpg

Setup Youtube vid

Adapt it to your buttler creek eyepiece and mount an ir lamp and you have night vision on your scope.Well if it was legal you would.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

lb1981 wrote: »
    Adapt it to your buttler creek eyepiece and mount an ir lamp and you have night vision on your scope.Well if it was legal you would.;)

Then fit a pan/tilt/zoom and a trigger mechanism, bleach your hair blond, and your Bruce Willis!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

i run a repair shop, we set up these ipcams all over they are not bad for the cash.
    image is ok the ir night vision is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I just bought one, it will be a great add on to my house alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I just bought one, it will be a great add on to my house alarm.

Did you get the Foscam model???

I've been researching these out for the last few days.

Looks like I'll be going with No-Ip.com for the host redirect ($15/year 25 hosts) and Mangocam.com for the online video storage @€;20 (2 IP Cams). Both are free for a one cam setup.

Have a look at CamCloud.com as well for online video storage for the IP Cam as well. Both do Motion detection e-mail alert.
    Trying to get my head around the Port Forwarding setup on my Vodafone Wi-Fi router as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Way ahead of you clive :)

20120330_122926a.jpg

Streams audio and video to my phone, Herself's phone (both android phones), Her iPad, the granddad's iPhone, and any web browser, all password protected, using the wifi in the house and hopto.com host forwarding (which is free). And you can control the IR lights, the pan and tilt and send audio from all of those too, and control what users can do what (so I can pan/tilt, but granddad can't, that kind of thing).

Now, if we ever get him into the cot, we'll be sorted... :rolleyes:

Did you get the Foscam model???

I've been researching these out for the last few days.

Looks like I'll be going with No-Ip.com for the host redirect ($15/year 25 hosts) and Mangocam.com for the online video storage @€;20 (2 IP Cams). Both are free for a one cam setup.

Have a look at CamCloud.com as well for online video storage for the IP Cam as well. Both do Motion detection e-mail alert.
    Trying to get my head around the Port Forwarding setup on my Vodafone Wi-Fi router as well.

No bought the clone mentioned in the first post it will do for what I want.

Actually had a taught also for a use, I also have mobile wifi and was thinking with this cam and a power pack that I might be able to set up a target at say 600/800 yards and watch it on a iPad/iPhone from the firing point .... Save a lot of walking I would hope.
    Worth a try I would think...

No bought the clone mentioned in the first post it will do for what I want.

Actually had a taught also for a use, I also have mobile wifi and was thinking with this cam and a power pack that I might be able to set up a target at say 600/800 yards and watch it on a iPad/iPhone from the firing point .... Save a lot of walking I would hope.
    Worth a try I would think...

I thought of something similar like watching for deer BUT in both cases you'd be missing the Wi-Fi link to a router for internet access

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

available on E-BAY for €37.41 incl. p.& p.

Just a note - they are for indoor use only.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400332976517&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

J.R. wrote: »
    available on E-BAY for €37.41 incl. p.& p.

Just a note - they are for indoor use only.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400332976517&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

good find and P&P free :):):)

and here in white @€;35
    Item number: 320711265167

• Advertisement

I thought of something similar like watching for deer BUT in both cases you'd be missing the Wi-Fi link to a router for internet access

I have a o2 hotshot, it's mobile wifi, I'm hoping that this will allow me to use this camera for my idea.

I have a o2 hotshot, it's mobile wifi, I'm hoping that this will allow me to use this camera for my idea.

BUT I would think you will still need a router to connect to the IPCam in someway! Wired or Wi-Fi it's the router that will do the forwarding of the data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

BUT I would think you will still need a router to connect to the IPCam in someway! Wired or Wi-Fi it's the router that will do the forwarding of the data

Should work, as long as either the camera or the hotshot support something like dydns cos your ip address will keep chanigning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

FYI I just got screwed buying this from Light in the Box. it arrived this morning via UPS with a 30 euro customs invoice. 11.30 of that is customs the rest is UPS charging me for customs handling!!! All in all I think this is going to set me back about 90 euro. From Amazon its 65ish...

Be very careful, the UPS charge is crazy and dont order anything that will be shipped via them.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Rew wrote: »
    FYI I just got screwed buying this from Light in the Box. it arrived this morning via UPS with a 30 euro customs invoice. 11.30 of that is customs the rest is UPS charging me for customs handling!!! All in all I think this is going to set me back about 90 euro. From Amazon its 65ish...

Be very careful, the UPS charge is crazy and dont order anything that will be shipped via them.

You always get caught for VAT and duty when shipping anything with UPS. You're better off using their free delivery service or in my case get it shipped to NI where the customs dont seem to give a F@#K :D

Mezamo wrote: »
    You always get caught for VAT and duty when shipping anything with UPS. You're better off using their free delivery service or in my case get it shipped to NI where the customs dont seem to give a F@#K :D

VAT and duty are fine 20 quid handling fee is not cool....

Caught me also wa**ers.

Arrived today with the postman without any extra charges. I had it send by snail mail not UPS/DHL.
    I never seem to get charged for import duty when sent in the mail, I don't mind waiting a little longer for items.
    Only paid the import duty on a Lazer scope 'cos it said 'Lazer Scope' on the decoration form

Hooked mine up and gave it a good test, have to say im seriously impressed, for the money is a fantastic buy. Im watching the street outside my house from work ATM :-D

I bought it to be a baby cam but so impressed might do some more security type stuff with it.

Impressed myself with this. Colours are a little washed out but I can live with it. Great for the money, already thinking of ordering another one. :):)

Trying to hook it up to the internet now, but not getting any luck. :mad:

Have the Vodafone router port forwarding. 8080, set to the Cams IP address, and the DNS service set to forward to port 8080 but not getting anywhere yet. :rolleyes:

Got to paint a new unit so I can't spend to much time on this now :mad:

• Advertisement

Impressed myself with this. Colours are a little washed out but I can live with it. Great for the money, already thinking of ordering another one. :):)

Trying to hook it up to the internet now, but not getting any luck. :mad:

Have the Vodafone router port forwarding. 8080, set to the Cams IP address, and the DNS service set to forward to port 8080 but not getting anywhere yet. :rolleyes:

Got to paint a new unit so I can't spend to much time on this now :mad:

Its probably all working BUT if you test it from the same internet connection it fails. I had the same problem last night and I turned off the wifi on my phone and tried it from there and found it was working. I got some friends to login to it and test as well.

Its the vodafone router being stupid.

Its probably all working BUT if you test it from the same internet connection it fails. I had the same problem last night and I turned off the wifi on my phone and tried it from there and found it was working. I got some friends to login to it and test as well.

Its the vodafone router being stupid.

YES this was the fault in that I can't access the webcam from inside my local network, using the webcam IP address (it's local address)

Got most of it working now and trying to setup 'cloud' recording (free if possible). Only found Mangocam.com at present but looking for more 'cloud' websites that allow recording from the webcam.

Also running this thread, in the Tech section, to get a few answers
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83069947#post83069947

Getting there :):)

OK the latest report on this Wanscam WiFi IPcam.

Well first off it does what it says on the box.
    • I am able to view the Live image from my PC and iPhone and control the 'Pan and Tilt'. This works from an external client as well.
    • The night vision is very good and it turns on the IR LED's automatically when it gets dark. Range of about 4/5m.
    • Motion alarm monitoring sends me an e-mail alert including 4 or 5 images captured when the alarm is triggered. This can be setup to trigger on both the Wanscam IPcam and from an external 'Cloud' cam monitoring option.
    • Recording of the image is possible if an external 'Cloud' cam monitoring service option is setup.
    • With software installed on the PC recording of the image is possible.
    I'm looking at Mangocam.com for the external 'Cloud' alarm monitoring and image capturing. Free for limited 1 cam use and €20/year for 2 cam's with motion recording and downloading of the files.

Looking at 'Blue Iris' with up to 66 cam's @€;40 and 'Security Monitor Pro' with 32 cam's @€;66 for the viewing and recording software on a PC. This software can be setup to record the images on a local networked PC on an motion alarm trigger.

Shortcuts to some of IP Camera functions where [ipcam] is replaced with the IP cam's local IP address.
    Like http://[ipcam]/set_misc.cgi?ptz_center_onstart=0

Is now
    http://192.168.1.150:8080/set_misc.cgi?ptz_center_onstart=0
    The camera won't auto-rotate any more when restarting, so you won't need to re-position it any longer upon rebooting.

See......
    http://www.gadgetvictims.com/2010/01/shortcuts-to-foscam-ip-camera-functions.html

Hi guys I've gone about setting up this camera and installed the small blue disc but there is notting on the disc ? Have ye loaded from this disc
    I'm guessing this is where I get it setup?

Hi guys I've gone about setting up this camera and installed the small blue disc but there is notting on the disc ? Have ye loaded from this disc
    I'm guessing this is where I get it setup?

Use my computer/explorer (not IE explorer) to see the files on the cd.

Open the 'English' folder where you will find...
    The manuals, active X file, and 'search tool.exe' to find IP address's on your local network system.

The DVD/CD drive in my laptop (older laptop) didn't read the mini CD

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

Ziggieire wrote: »
    i run a repair shop, we set up these ipcams all over they are not bad for the cash.
    image is ok the ir night vision is very good
    what powers the camera. Can it cover outdoors through a window?

yes chance wrote: »

Power adapter that plugs into a wall socket. Works fine during the day pointing out a window but at night the night vision doesn't work thought a window.

Get an outdoors waterproof model to mount outside the house, Still cheap @€;50. No Pan or Tilt but has 20m IR range.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/wanscam-waterproof-night-vision-wireless-ip-camera-with-ir-20m_p217293.html

wanscam-waterproof-night-vision-wireless-ip-camera-with-ir-20m_gqigmc1315387421210.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

Get an outdoors waterproof model to mount outside the house, Still cheap @€;50. No Pan or Tilt but has 20m IR range.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/wanscam-waterproof-night-vision-wireless-ip-camera-with-ir-20m_p217293.html

wanscam-waterproof-night-vision-wireless-ip-camera-with-ir-20m_gqigmc1315387421210.jpg
    thanks and how is that powered?Can a lead be brought from plug or wired back to junction box - is that the right term

• Advertisement

thanks and how is that powered?Can a lead be brought from plug or wired back to junction box - is that the right term

It comes with a 240volt, plug in the wall outlet, power supply and the camera takes the 12volts DC output. So you will have to run the 12v DC cable to the camera.

Plug the power adapter into the nearest mains socket and drill a hole through the wall to run the low voltage DC to the camera. You will have to extend the 12vDC cable, just cut it in half and solder in a longer bit of cable to reach the camera.
    Or if it's nowhere near a mains socket you could connect it up to a 12volt car battery and get a solar panel to keep the battery charged up all the time. Solar panel is cheap enough on E bay. Hide it out of sight and your good to go, well as long as you are in the range of the Wi-Fi local network. You can buy a Wi-Fi booster antenna for better range from the Cam.

£20 ish 12v 4watt solar panel from E bay
    240555.JPG
    4 watt soloar panel.JPG

Get the camera setup and working inside first and then hook it up via WiFi before taking it outside.

Advertisement