Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home security with an IP Webcam

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Image from the Wanscam Cam looking from a bedroom window down into the back garden.

The colours are a little washed out, on a dull day, and I think it's because it must capture the IR light spectrum for the night vision. All the other camcorders have an IR filter over the CCD (the cam's image sensor) to stop the IR. But I'm well happy with this Wanscam WiFi IP Cam and will order another ASAP.

240553.jpg

Wanscam Image 02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

clivej wrote: »
    Image from the Wanscam Cam looking from a bedroom window down into the back garden.

The colours are a little washed out, on a dull day, and I think it's because it must capture the IR light spectrum for the night vision. All the other camcorders have an IR filter over the CCD (the cam's image sensor) to stop the IR. But I'm well happy with this Wanscam WiFi IP Cam and will order another ASAP.

240553.jpg

Wanscam Image 02.jpg
    what is it up on or is it mounted on wall

yes chance wrote: »
    what is it up on or is it mounted on wall

I have it up on a shelve now, just to get the best position for it, but it came with a good wall mount and screws.

I sent off for a wider view front lens to get more of the view captured in the small room. Getting a 2.8mm wide angle lens @€;3.50 from DX.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Lads who bought these:

how are ye getting on with them?

any tips?

any photos?

Thanks

JR

J.R. wrote: »
    Lads who bought these:

how are ye getting on with them?
    any tips?
    any photos?
    Thanks
    JR

1. How are ye getting on with them?
      Very well I'm delighted with it. So much so I ordered another from E-bay ;30 inc P&P. I'll set this one up to look over the back of my home.
      I can activate it, view a live video stream, Pan & Tilt, over my iPhone. Go to set positions, 16 available.
      I have it set up to record, send me alerts with the first 6 photo's by E-mail. It can also view any recordings made when scheduled to do so.
      I didn't try out the audio features yet but you can talk back to the Cam and hear audio from it.
      For this I used Mangocam.com for my 2 Cam setup (up to 16 cams) and no-ip.com for the IP address forwarding. Both cheap to use.
    2. Any tips?
      Search Youtube for videos and use 'Foscam' as a search term.
      This Wanscam on it's own can be setup to send you E-mails, with photo's, on motion alerts but you then have to remember to turn it on before you leave the house. I used Mangocam for this as I can then turn it on/off from my iPhone when away.
      It comes with an IP address forwarding client.
      You can record to you local networked PC but if they take the PC you don't have any records. BlueIris.com looks good for recording the Cams, up to 16 cams, to your local PC. About €45 for this software.
    3. Any photos?
      The one above is good photo from it.
      Here is another in total darkness using the Cams IR LED light source as it's only light.

241818.jpg

Wanscam Image 03.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks Clive J.....very helpful & useful information.

I'm thinking of getting two .....one for front & one for back of house.

Although classed as indoor use I was thinking of placing them outside as I have a very deep overhanging porch in each spot, so they wouldn't get wet, when in use and would pick up the wi-fi signal from inside.

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway........can the camera be mounted 'upside down'....ie....the circular base at the bottom would be attached to the porch overhead rather than having to place it on a shelf..........or would the image be upside down if mounted this way?

I saw it mounted this way in ad...........scroll down to pictures but am unsure if it would work in this position.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290865112476?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_6449wt_1271

thanks again

JR

J.R. wrote: »
    Thanks Clive J.....very helpful & useful information.

I'm thinking of getting two .....one for front & one for back of house.

Although classed as indoor use I was thinking of placing them outside as I have a very deep overhanging porch in each spot, so they wouldn't get wet, when in use and would pick up the wi-fi signal from inside.

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway........can the camera be mounted 'upside down'....ie....the circular base at the bottom would be attached to the porch overhead rather than having to place it on a shelf..........or would the image be upside down if mounted this way?

I saw it mounted this way in ad...........scroll down to pictures but am unsure if it would work in this position.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290865112476?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_6449wt_1271

thanks again

JR

JR search the site and you will find an enclosure for the Cam for outside use. One problem with not using the enclosure, besides water getting in, is the bugs getting in and short circuiting the electronics.

And yes it can be mounted up-side down. You can set the image view from the admin pages. You can also reverse the left and right views. These are permanent changes until you change them back.

clivej wrote: »
    JR search the site and you will find an enclosure for the Cam for outside use. One problem with not using the enclosure, besides water getting in, is the bugs getting in and short circuiting the electronics.

And yes it can be mounted up-side down. You can set the image view from the admin pages. You can also reverse the left and right views. These are permanent changes until you change them back.

Never even thought of the bugs - thanks again

Advertisement