Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please reccommend hair moisturising product

• 21-01-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I've dark brown and I started getting my first few greys this time last year. Over the past year I have died my hair with permanent box dye 5/6 times.

My hair is much dryer and less shiny now.:( I have now decided not to dye it anymore as I'd prefer to have the few greys with healthy hair rather than no greys but dry problematic hair.

There are so many "moisturising" hair products out there I have no idea which to buy. Is there any product/treatment that I could buy to try to get my hair a bit healthier (less dry and more shine)?

TL/DR - My hair is in a bad way after I over-dyed it. Please reccommend a moisturising product/treatment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Get yourself some of this stuff from Penneys, its €2.50 and the best thing ever, it leaves my hair so soft and shiny and healthy looking. I use a blob about the size of a 10cent coin, you don't want to use too much because its an oil if you use too much it will leave your hair feeling and looking greasy.

I apply it before blow-drying and find it halves the time I need to dry my hair, my hair is usually dry within 10 mins if I use the oil and about 20-25 mins without the oil. The hask oil is the EXACT same as Moroccan Oil, the only differences being the colourants in the oil and the price.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S5zQSX9-Ggg/T3zM5YH9dxI/AAAAAAAAAWo/vD2980SElO0/s1600/hask.jpg

It's usually near the tills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

Coconut oil and/or extra virgin olive oil as a pre-shampoo treatment: Heat in the microwave for a bit (around 20-30 seconds), then apply to the midlength to ends. Wait at least 25-30 minutes (the longer, the better) and shampoo-condition as usual.

Aussie 3 minute treatment is very good.

+1 for the Penney's hair oil as above post.

If these don't work, you can try a protein treatment, such as Joico K-Pak or Redken Extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

Thanks for the advice guys - I'm gonna start with the olive oil treatment (I've a massive bottle of extra-virgin at home) and then I'll getr that Penneys Oil Hask oil for more frequent use. Delighted with the price of it - hopefully I'll see a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I dye my own hair too and i use permanent as semis just dont cover my grey. BUT, i only do the roots and every 4th time i do an all over colour. Do you dye all over each time? That's why your hair is so dry. By just maintaining the roots (new hair) you wont have a dye build up and hence not dry out your hair as much.

+1 for the Argan oil and coconut oil

Anniehoo... I have done that a few times, yes :o. The last time I died my hair I only did the roots, but a lot of damage has been done from those previous dye jobs:(.

I'd say what I'll do is try to use a few oils/treatments etc to get my hair a bit healthier and then I may dye the roots again in a few weeks/months if the roots get unbearable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

I'd also recommend oil treatments. I've used that Moroccan Oil brand for the last few years, and while it is expensive, its also brilliant, and that one bottle has lasted me about four years now (still isn't finished and I use it after almost every shower). Oh, it also smells DIVINE :)

I've also been taking Folic Acid tablets from boots after reading some articles online about its benefits for hair and nails and the condition of my hair has really improved, and has grown faster.can get a packof about 3 months worth for €7/8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 GingerFire

I'm a big fan of the kerestase range. If you can afford to get a tub of their repair treatment get it. The girls in the salon will recommended the one best suited to your needs when you go in.

I'm delighted with the products santy brought me

http://www.kerastase.co.uk/_en/_gb/home/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

Generally you should use semi's on your hair unless you're more than 40% grey. If I were to use a permanent dye, my hair would be very dry but the semis I get done are brilliant (and I have long hair). They cover my greys and there's no regrowth line as it gradually washes out. You may need to go to a hairdresser though as I haven't found a good home semi as yet.

Moroccan oil treatment conditioners are brilliant for moisterising my hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I use semis to dye my hair and generally they leave it quite shiny. The boots botanics range is fantastic it leaves your hair really shiny and glossy.

For fixing it now - I usually hate elvive stuff but have fallen in love with their 60 second saviour conditioner it really works!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

GingerFire wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the kerestase range. If you can afford to get a tub of their repair treatment get it. The girls in the salon will recommended the one best suited to your needs when you go in.

I'm delighted with the products santy brought me

http://www.kerastase.co.uk/_en/_gb/home/index.aspx

+1 on the Kerastase, have unbelievably dry hair and it's the only deep conditioning treatment that has made a difference- it's expensive but a little goes a long way because it's SO thick. One word of warning though is make sure that you rinse it out properly because it's so thick that you have to spend way longer rinsing than with most other conditioners.

The one I use is

MNT0000.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Get yourself some of this stuff from Penneys, its €2.50 and the best thing ever, it leaves my hair so soft and shiny and healthy looking. I use a blob about the size of a 10cent coin, you don't want to use too much because its an oil if you use too much it will leave your hair feeling and looking greasy.

I apply it before blow-drying and find it halves the time I need to dry my hair, my hair is usually dry within 10 mins if I use the oil and about 20-25 mins without the oil. The hask oil is the EXACT same as Moroccan Oil, the only differences being the colourants in the oil and the price.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S5zQSX9-Ggg/T3zM5YH9dxI/AAAAAAAAAWo/vD2980SElO0/s1600/hask.jpg

It's usually near the tills.

That actually works out more expensive per millilitre than MoroccanOil, interestingly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I just got l'oreal miracle oil, I really like it
    http://m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/LOreal-Elvive-Extraordinary-Oil-UV-Filter-for-All-Hair-Types-100ml_1262085/
    It's very light, moisturing, not greasy and good value for money considering how much you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pinkpetal

Love love love Moroccan oil, it's expensive but soo worth it for dry hair like mine.Penny's Argan oil dosen't do anything for my hair, quite like the Kerastase too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

MoroccanOil really isn't that expensive, it just seems it because of the big initial outlay. I have my bottle almost a year now and it's still two-thirds full, and that's using it every single time I wash my hair. I also wand my hair every couple of weeks and whenever I do that, I soak the entire length of my hair in MO afterwards to repair any heat damage. It just lasts forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

Def love the moroccan oil - could try mane n tail colour protect shampoo and conditioner with it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Would definitely recommend moroccon oil, have had consistently had good results from it. Also there was a recommendation from another boardsie for hair mayonnaise which us mostly marketed for people with really dry coarse hair (such as me). Tried it for the first time tonight and was impressed. A large tub cost 8 euro. Look for it in larger boots stores. If you Google the name you'll find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I have the mane and tail colour protect shampoo and I hate it! gutted as I heard it was great but sadly not for me.

The hot oil treatment they sell in penneys (its called hair placenta - charming) is very good and is only 2.50

update:

I covered my hair in olive oil and left it in over night a few days ago and it did wonders for it! I'm actually surprised as I was v sceptical!

I can def see myself doing that every few weeks/month or so!!!

Do you think Morrocan oil/Hask oil etc will be even better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

update:

I covered my hair in olive oil and left it in over night a few days ago and it did wonders for it! I'm actually surprised as I was v sceptical!

I can def see myself doing that every few weeks/month or so!!!

Do you think Morrocan oil/Hask oil etc will be even better?

Glad you are happy with the results! Pre-shampoo oil treatments are the most important thing in my hair regime. They literally brought my hair back to life.

I also use hair oils (I apply while hair is still 50% wet) but their effects are more short-termed. Moroccan Oil and the Penney's oil have a similar consistency. So you may try the Penney's oil first to see if you like it. If you prefer something lighter, L'Oreal Extraordinary Oil is very very good at a reasonable price. I like it as much as Moroccan Oil. If that's still too heavy, a much lighter option would be the VO5 Miracle Concentrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭kiva989

Mind sound weird but egg is good for your hair too!

Step 1 Begin by cracking open one egg yolk into a mixing bowl. Beat the egg yolk quickly with a fork or whisk until it is completely broken up.

Step2 Add one tablespoon of olive oil. Beat again with the whisk or fork until it is well mixed. Baby oil can also be substituted for the olive oil for a better fragrance.

Step3 Mix in one cup of lukewarm water. Mixing the water in will dilute the mixture and make it easier to spread evenly throughout your whole head of hair.

Step4 Wet hair completely. It is best to apply the conditioning treatment to clean hair, so wash hair with a gentle shampoo, rinse and squeeze excess water from hair.

Step5 Pour half the egg yolk conditioner on top of the head, trying to avoid the face. While egg yolk is good for the face as well, the oil in the mixture is not. Use hands to apply the other half of the conditioner to the bottom of hair.

Step6 Run the conditioner through with your finger tips to ensure even coating. Let it set for 5 minutes.

Step7 Rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm or cool water. It is important not to use hot water because it may cook the egg yolk in your hair and require another washing. Cool water is good for hair because it makes it shiny.

Failing that, I think the Moroccan oil is great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Moroccan and coconut does rock.. I picked up some Edward Beale conditioner in H&M over the Christmas it was Argan Oil in it and it is loverly really nice. Big bottle only pants is I havent seen it in there since. Another everyday one too I have to say I am impressed with is the Elvive, the shiny one in the pink bottle is great, and the tripple resist is the job hair feels stronger and shiney... I didnt find the full restore one good it left this coating on your hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The best thing I've ever used is Charles Worthington Intense Rescue Melting Balm. It's about €16 in Boots. It's a solid balm, you melt it in between your hands and leave it on for about half an hour before you wash your hair. It's very to rinse out, and doesn't reek. Pretty sure it's a blend of oils. Look up reviews online- they all rave about it. I've been dying my hair using permanent dye for a year and it was wrecked, very straw like. IMMEDIATE different was huge, it turned into silk and was so easy to dry and straighten. Much shinier also. I'd give it 10/10. I use it 1-2 times a week, don't need much so it'll last forever. More expensive than coconut oil but it's handier and less messy and probably cheaper in the long run.

Advertisement