Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q on what the butcher told me!!

Options
  • 21-01-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi all

I bought 4 prepacked striploin steaks on Saturday morning. Between one thing and another I didn't use them on Saturday so on Sunday I opened the pack to rebag and freeze them.

2 of the 4 stank :(

I brought them back to the butchers this morning and he said that they were fine. He said they had sweated in the wrapping and this gave them the (unpleasant) odour.

True or was he blowing smoke up my a***????

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Its called the 'weep'. Horrible name but its just from being packed. So no smoke OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Prepacked meat can develop a smell in the packaging but I would imagine all the steaks would smell the same.

Was it unpleasant or did they stink? My gut feel is they are fine. Leave the two bad ones uncovered on a plate in the fridge for a while, if they are still dodgy this eve chuck them out.

I'm very surprised the butcher didn't take them back anyways, even if he knew they were fine, in the interests of keeping you happy.

Again, these are beef and will last a long time. If I was you I'd get to work on the pepper sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Garvan

lg123 wrote: »
    Prepacked meat can develop a smell in the packaging but I would imagine all the steaks would smell the same.

Was it unpleasant or did they stink? My gut feel is they are fine. Leave the two bad ones uncovered on a plate in the fridge for a while, if they are still dodgy this eve chuck them out.

I'm very surprised the butcher didn't take them back anyways, even if he knew they were fine, in the interests of keeping you happy.

Again, these are beef and will last a long time. If I was you I'd get to work on the pepper sauce.

To be fair he did take them back but I just wasn't sure if he was spoofing.

If it makes any difference they were out of the packing in the fridge yesterday and they still smelled. The kind of smell that makes you pull away fairly quick :o

G

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

He was telling you the truth. My Butcher actually warns you of it if he vacuum packs your meat for you that the smell will bad when you open it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We cannot allow threads on food safety here. We can't smell or see or in any way assess the food for you. Bringing it back to the butcher was a good idea, but the best approach is "When in doubt, throw it out".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement